Kidney Stone Strut

dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
any you dudes or dudettes been through this before...this is my second time having to suffer through this schitt, last time was about 17 or 18yrs ago thankfully i passed that stone and it wasnt bad at all, was in the hospital twice on the weekend, lots of I.V's a CT Scan and a few cups to pee in...

all um saying is i wouldn't wish this pain on anyone it probably the most intense pain i have ever felt, i got sent home with some dilaudid to take the pain away, if they dont pass, looks like a urologist will have to "go in" and get it out, hard to believe this much pain can come from a 3mm stone...hell i cant imagine what it would feel like if it was larger..

Comments

• they say it's the male equivalent of giving birth. it's excrucuiating to even contemplate. best of luck.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Ask them if they can ultrasound smash it out before you have to get an extraction done. Drink lotsa citrus/water and see what is going wrong with your diet.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Had one of those because I had too much calcium in my diet. Worst pain I've ever experienced.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I was in the office, some 10 years ago now, with two others, about 7.30 pm. Slow Thursday night at the bank, IIRC.

Suddenly John starts rhythmically folding and unfolding over at the waist, clutching his torso. The grimace, the clenched jaw, the guttural expulsion of audible breath.
    "John. John. What's the matter mate? JOHN. What the fucks the matter?"
    It was Adam, 200 pounds, good in a crisis, knows when to needle and when to be concerned. A top man manager.
    "Unnngh... arrrr, arrrrrrrrrrr, ng, NNNNNNNNNNggggggggggggggg..."

I call an ambulance. John is on the floor now, the rhythm now spasmodic and then chaotic, centred around that Hurt-esque abdomen and the Presleyite constipation growl.

John manages to force out "Stonessss...." through the clamped rictus travesty of a grin.

Paras arrive in a hot minute, John staggers to his feet and dazedly heads towards his PC.
    Adam looks ashen faced now.
    "John, what you doing?"

"Got to, unggghhhhhhh, log off" says he.

True story.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    well after a drug induced few days back and forth to the hospital....@ 4:20 (about 2hrs ago) it just "flowed out", maybe a bit of TMI here, but they gave me some "strainers" to piss into after drinking loads of water, gatorade & tea i headed to the bathroom and it just flow in, i felt it go and before i even realized what was goin on it was over....

odd shit man, pain almost gone, still weak as hell from not eating the last few days, still a bit nauseous as well.

like i said man i wouldnt wish the pain on anyone, think i might take the rest of the pain meds they gave me and call it a night, i have a doctor appt tomorrow with my family doctor and i guess i'll go from there...

fingers crossed i dont go through this again in another 15-20 yrs from now...its terrible schitt for those who have gone through it before.
    Attached files

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It is sometimes hereditary - that your body doesn't prevent crystalization, etc.
    But like it was said up above - look into your diet....the doctor(s) should be talking to you about this already!!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    bassie said:
    It is sometimes hereditary - that your body doesn't prevent crystalization, etc.
    But like it was said up above - look into your diet....the doctor(s) should be talking to you about this already!!

diet is key to everything. cut back on the cokes,coffee,etc, drink water mayne!

yeah my diet isnt that out of wack tbh, i dont drink pop at all (well maybe 4 cans of pop a year, which isnt much at all) i quit drinking coffee years ago, but hit up Starbucks for some Latte action maybe once or twice a month, i do believe that WATER is the key though. its ironic that i went to the dentist about 2 months ago and they asked me if i was dehydrated and if i drank enough water, some days i drink enough but most days i dont...so thats going to be #1 on my list, i eat fairly well for the most part i worked in the resturant industry for 10yrs and other then being allergic to Gluten, i eat my fair share of home cooked meals and such, so i am guessing the WATER is key in my case.

i just got back from my family doctor not to long ago and i still have 2 (good grief) more stones inside me approx 2mm in size...doc says they might come out they might not, they might give me a problem and they might not...so i guess i'll play the waiting game on those. at least i know they are there.

so with most of my pain completely gone i still feel like a back of shit from not eating over the last few days...going to try and get my energy back up and get back to our regularly scheduled program..

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    bassie said:

diet is key to everything. cut back on the cokes,coffee,etc, drink water mayne!

Diet and water are certainly important, but there is a high genetic disposition for these - they definitely run in families and certain people seem to be prone to getting them.

I feel for CityBoy, I live in fear of these things.

^^ before you wish death on your enemies, wish they had Kidney Stones first...lol

• CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts
    Had a major cramp in my flank come on suddenly last night and this thread really helped me feel prepared while I was waiting at the urgent clinic. Thanks cityboy

:oh_snap:

good luck bro....i hope it goes well

• I'm sorry to hear about this. I'm about to finish my 1st year of med school, so not quite an expert but I think I can help. As far as I know this problem can be caused by diet or an overactive parathyroid gland. The parathyroid gland secretes a hormone that stimulates the breakdown of bone, causing an increase of calcium in the blood stream. Do you break bones easily?

As far as diet is concerned Coca-cola is really bad too. The high levels of phosphate in Coke have a similar action (breakdown of bone and increase Ca in blood). From what I gather, you are fine on this front.

Drinking water is gonna help. Also there is evidence that increasing your potassium and magnesium can reduce the risk as well. If you are going to take supplements do research because the labels are not regulated well. Either way most evidence shows that getting vitamins from your diet is more effective than supplements, so eat lots of bananas.

Maybe after finals I'll look into this deeper and see what else I can turn up for you. Good luck!

• CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    :oh_snap:

good luck bro....i hope it goes well

Thanks!
    SoundOutLoud said:
    As far as diet is concerned Coca-cola is really bad too. The high levels of phosphate in Coke have a similar action (breakdown of bone and increase Ca in blood).

I drink way too much Coca-Cola.
    31 now; time to smarten up I guess.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    pop

Any man who refers to carbonated beverages by their correct name is a friend of mine.
    I'm happy for ya and I hope you're in the clear.