Vintage Car Audio?

CBearCBear 902 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
A few months ago I picked up this old Accord with 63,000 og miles on it. I needed something to offset the gas costs of the '63 ford.

I want to put a nice stereo system in it, but it would be a shame to put something current and corny with multicolored LEDs blinking. All the stereo gear in my house is from the 70s and 80s and it was cheap and sounds fantastic. Is there good vintage car audio too? I'm making a custom walnut built-in console to house tapes below the tape player. I'd like to have some nice vintage stereo gear in there too. Anyone have any vintage car audio systems they want to floss?

Comments

• Options
    No pics unfortunately since I haven't seen this guy in well over ten years, but I used to work with a guy who had his car stereo built around an 8-track player. It was a beat to hell stationwagon, but his system on the inside was beautiful. Wood speaker cabinets, big fat knobs on his eq, it was like the Brady Bunch living room in there. I remember going for a ride with him once to get breakfast, all I wanted to do was hear his system and all he wanted to do was turn it down and talk about the Westminster Dog Show. I've had some strange car rides, this was one of them.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I was doing some research and just found out that Marantz did car audio. I think this would look great housed into a custom hardwood console next to some tape storage:

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    CBear said:
    I was doing some research and just found out that Marantz did car audio. I think this would look great housed into a custom hardwood console next to some tape storage:

damn, those marantz units are fukin sweet!!

I went the reverse on my 68' FB mustang, all the crust likes to go with the original hardware, I opted to
    go with the same look but with a 80's modern touch. I have this PYLE unit, not the exact one. I don't
    have a cassette deck anymore, I'm thinking I want to go back to my 89' Sony cassette head unit that was in there
    before I changed it out.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I recently was faced with a similar issue for a 1970 VW Squareback I restored. I wanted to keep the original stereo and not modify the dash or anything else.
    These guys sell a device that connects in between your antennae and back of your radio, you then can hook up an mp3 player to it (1/8" stereo jack) and still use the original stereo without any mods. Essentially, it works in a similar way to those tape cassette cd player adapters work, but far less obvious and ugly. Hit me up on the PM if you want more info.

http://www.rediscoveradio.com/

these guys may also have something you want....
    http://www.vintagecarradio.com/

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

I want one of these Philips 45 players for my '56.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Yes!

I thought about hooking a portable up and suspending it somehow, but I worried about keeping vinyl in a hot car.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    knewjak said:
    I recently was faced with a similar issue for a 1970 VW Squareback I restored. I wanted to keep the original stereo and not modify the dash or anything else.
    These guys sell a device that connects in between your antennae and back of your radio, you then can hook up an mp3 player to it (1/8" stereo jack) and still use the original stereo without any mods. Essentially, it works in a similar way to those tape cassette cd player adapters work, but far less obvious and ugly. Hit me up on the PM if you want more info.

http://www.rediscoveradio.com/

these guys may also have something you want....
    http://www.vintagecarradio.com/

Thanks for this. I'm not so concerned with keeping it original, but rather finding high-end aftermarket that's period correct. I was thinking I would put the iPod directly into an equalizer/pre-amp with an 1/8" to RCA, but this solution might be a nice way to hook it up so it works through the head unit.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    CBear said:
    Yes!

I thought about hooking a portable up and suspending it somehow, but I worried about keeping vinyl in a hot car.

It isn't my daily driver so it is mostly for show.