CTI Records

EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
Does anyone know where I can get more information about the history of CTI Records? I already checked out the Wiki for it and various websites but it seems kind of vague to me, like something is missing.

What years do you guys consider their "golden era" for releasing music?

Thanks

Comments

• :holygrail:

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    gomez80 said:

Thanks

The Bob James 1-3 years

I lose out on every Flow in a set sale. somebody rescue me and take my money

• If you can find the WaxPoetics article about Creed Taylor (just looked it up, Issue No34 "The Jazz Issue" Coltrane on the cover), I found it to be a really good insight into the CTI "factory" and the way things went down over there.

Me, personally, not into the A&M/CTI releases??? more a fan of Bob james 1 - 4, Moon Germs, etc.. era ('72 to '77)?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Me, personally, not into the A&M/CTI releases

reason I thought Milton Nascimento was a turd for years.

Richard Barbary - wished it sounded as cool as it looked

• gomez80 said:
    Does anyone know where I can get more information about the history of CTI Records? I already checked out the Wiki for it and various websites but it seems kind of vague to me, like something is missing.

Thanks

you seem like a nice fellow who doesn't deserve the inevitable clonning that is about to come your way.

there is a certain consensus that cti/kudu is vapid, tepid, common, overprodcued, elevator/smooth jazz that only appeals to beggining diggers and that when you get to a certain stage in collecting you are supposed to be embarrassed you ever liked any of those discs.

i kind of get that mindset but then again how can anybody front on:

freddie hubbard- red clay/ straight life/sky dive
    idris muhhamad- the power of soul
    antonio carlos jobim- stone flower

and a bunch of others

• Guzzo said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    Me, personally, not into the A&M/CTI releases

reason I thought Milton Nascimento was a turd for years.

Even the design on these is weak compared to the full-cover photo CTIs

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    You can't go wrong with these titles.....

Milt Jackson "Sunflower" and "Olinga" (great vibraphonist shit)

Antonio Carlos Jobim "Stone Flower" (excellent bossa jazz)

• I think it's fair to say (at least from my experience) CTI/KUDU is the gateway drug to digging. You start there and you just (hopefully) keep spreading further and further out. But, hopefully, you hold on to your CTIs cuz when you go back and listen to them, you hear why they were the source material for so many great beats. The production is clean, the playing is top notch, and the records are (or should be) cheap and available.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

you seem like a nice fellow who doesn't deserve the inevitable clonning that is about to come your way.

SoulStrut is dying!

Seriously, i think George Benson - Beyond Blue Horizon is a good record.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Guzzo said:

I actually like "Anyone But You" off that album. There's a few samplable moments on there too.

I think TheKindCromang and Crabmongerfunk nailed it. I have no problem riding for CTI/KUDU since that was how I got my start into all this (Power of Soul related). I even bought the first PUTS 12" at Beat Non Stop off the strength of them flipping the label.
    I wouldn't mind getting the full story behind Creed and what went on in some of those sessions. How in-depth is that Wax Po article?

• day said:
    I wouldn't mind getting the full story behind Creed and what went on in some of those sessions. How in-depth is that Wax Po article?

I felt like it was pretty in-depth. They talk about how Creed Taylor made tons of money off of Deodato's 2001 and then basically proceeded to blow it all on fancy cars and poor choices at the cost of session player's paychecks. They also describe the extreme meticulousness of Van Gelder's engineering. Some funny stories in there. A bunch of the big names swore they would never do anything to benefit Creed Taylor after the way he ripped them off

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    day said:

I felt like it was pretty in-depth. They talk about how Creed Taylor made tons of money off of Deodato's 2001 and then basically proceeded to blow it all on fancy cars and poor choices...

They also describe the extreme meticulousness of Van Gelder's engineering. Some funny stories in there. A bunch of the big names swore they would never do anything to benefit Creed Taylor after the way he ripped them off

That sounds like it's worth checking. Someone needs to make a book of the cover art.

:necessary:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I can't believe you guys are talking about CTI records. Makes me want to pack up my positioned-as-holier-than-thou whiny and post on a whole other message board where only Buster Poindexter records are discussed.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    day said:

That sounds like it's worth checking. Someone needs to make a book of the cover art.

• HarveyCanal said:
    day said:

wow. who has that, is it done well?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I can't believe you guys are talking about CTI records. Makes me want to pack up my positioned-as-holier-than-thou whiny and post on a whole other message board where only Buster Poindexter records are discussed.

By all means.

For real tho, fuck all this "yeah, I USED to like that but I'm too cool for it now" mess. I always hated that insecure shit and it used to permeate this place. I come from this so I'm gonna speak on it.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    seriously, i think hating on the entire cti and kudu catalog is just being completly ignorant. yes, there are many seaood restaurant jazz albums, but f*ck if you cant feel shit like "could heaven ever be like this", you are most definatly deaf. everytime i play this out people start to smile.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I ride. Some Of them don't pop up that often either. I'm not really putting any of them on these days, but they were pretty exciting to me when I first started buying records. There are tons of samples on them and I still like hearing samples. I'd be down for an all cti sample mix.

Think of how many great rap songs wouldn't exist without this catalog.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    day said:
    For real tho, fuck all this "yeah, I USED to like that but I'm too cool for it now" mess. I always hated that insecure shit and it used to permeate this place. I come from this so I'm gonna speak on it.

it's not about being cool or insecure. it's about how your taste (theoretically) evolves and changes and about how you probably don't have enough time to listen to that stuff anymore since you're into free jazz, contemporary rap, dubstep, polka or whatever.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Dante said:
    day said:

it's not about being cool or insecure. it's about how your taste (theoretically) evolves and changes and about how you probably don't have enough time to listen to that stuff anymore since you're into free jazz, contemporary rap, dubstep, polka or whatever.

No disrespect, but watching this place for almost a decade and seeing people shit on their past likes (be it stuff like this, backpack rap, whatever), it's more about not wanting to be a lame for what they used to be into than changing tastes. I myself don't exactly pump CTI these days, but it holds an important part of my history in getting into records. I don't see a problem talking about it or coming off as a "lil dude". Let em clon.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    day said:

No disrespect, but watching this place for almost a decade and seeing people shit on their past likes (be it stuff like this, backpack rap, whatever), it's more about not wanting to be a lame for what they used to be into than changing tastes. I myself don't exactly pump CTI these days, but it holds an important part of my history in getting into records. I don't see a problem talking about it or coming off as a "lil dude". Let em clon.

i completely agree on that, and there's probably tons of people who look down on it for the reasons you posted above...

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    Thanks everyone for the info, I really appreciate it! As far as getting clowned on because I asked a "noob" question, I ain't giving a shit. I know that I am new here and you guys are a tight nit community, I can handle the hazing as long as you drop some knowledge at the same time.

So far I have Paul Desmond's Summertime, Stanley Turrentine's Don't Mess With Mr.T, and Johnny Hammond's The Prophet.

• get all the titles mentioned in this thraed.

where are you from? if you come to the states or canada for a dig you can usually find them cheap.

if faux rillz were still here he would apoplectic.

edit: i mean snarky and full of self-loathing.

faux_rillz
    Posted: March 1st, 2012, 5:54 pm

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    gomez80 said:

So far I have Paul Desmond's Summertime, Stanley Turrentine's Don't Mess With Mr.T, and Johnny Hammond's The Prophet.

Yeah, if we were gonna do a "definitive" list, none of those would be on it.

Bob James 1-3
    Power of Soul
    Mr. Magic/Feels So Good
    Upon This Rock/Moon Germs
    Sunflower/Olinga
    Red Clay
    Stone Flower
    Prelude/Deodato 2
    Cherry
    Gambler's Life

etc. That's not even getting into the A&M stuff.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    get all the titles mentioned in this thraed.

where are you from? if you come to the states or canada for a dig you can usually find them cheap.

if faux rillz were still here he would apoplectic.

edit: i mean snarky and full of self-loathing.

faux_rillz
    Posted: March 1st, 2012, 5:54 pm

I say let em enjoy their boners in peace.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Attn: Soulhawk and Bald Danny
    Attached files

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The reason to learn/know your CTI and related tepid jazz is so that you can more effectively clown on it later in life.

• i love cti. bob james is awesome too.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Here's another one you might be interested in.
    Attached files

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I made a lot of money selling ctis bitd.

Recently I passed on Bob James One for $2 because it has been so long since I sold any.