A Call for More Set Sales

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
real set sales at reasonable prices, not links to ebay auctions and bs online shops. there are few things i love more than buying records from other strutters. shooterali, karlo and age (amongst others) used to do killer set sales on the regular. here's to hoping those dudes and others can step up and that we can revive that aspect of the site. It's an incentive to check the strut more regularly.

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Here is the deal:

By the time your payment has cleared and you have posted your list, you just sold all the good shit on waxidermy already. The grip is strong there, nothing you can do about it really

• SportCasual said:
    Here is the deal:

By the time your payment has cleared and you have posted your list, you just sold all the good shit on waxidermy already. The grip is strong there, nothing you can do about it really

then something should be done about that. maybe it's time to think about dropping the fee from set-sales to facilitate growth while mainting it for ebay/bs store links. once the thing is rolling again, raj could reinstate the fees. just spitballing here.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Agreed. People who only post ebay links rather than set sales generally don't contribute to the forum so they can pay. Set sales could be free. The payoff in increased traffic would maybe work out. People would check more often.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    And I can recommend some demonic mods to police this shit. They are no joke. Paging Rad_Chez

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Will we get banned for doing set sales on the Strut Central, an accidental set sale thread on here won't hurt anyone. Just one long ass sale thread, he can't ban us all.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Everything free and Back to telethon donations a la 2003?

• personally, i'd commit to a modest yearly donation if that were the case. maybe go pbs style and charge like 40 bucks and throw in a soulstrut t-shirt and some of the more memorable graemlins in sticker form (both of which sort of function as advertising for the site). i certainly don't think you should be losing money on this site (especially since so many of us benefit from its existence in one way or another) but maybe the pump needs priming...

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    Its a bit like ebay , lots of selling sites to begin with, one winner
    I do agree though allowing private only set sales into the trades wants section would certainly bring more interest

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    Agreed. People who only post ebay links rather than set sales generally don't contribute to the forum so they can pay. Set sales could be free. The payoff in increased traffic would maybe work out. People would check more often.

Good Idea

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    so tempted...

I was going to drop a set sale on waxidermy...now I'm holding off

(teaser below)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    How much for Soul Cargo?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    How much for Soul Cargo?

staying mum til Raj gives the ok...and until I get more record mailers

• I did a set sale last month, to see what the response would be here and got virtually no interest. I think I posted some decent items, moderately priced, because I did pretty well with the same records on waxi. I didn't plan on ever taking the time to post another one up here, but if there is genuine interest in records and no fee, I may give it a shot this month.

bass_fever said:
    I did a set sale last month, to see what the response would be here and got virtually no interest. I think I posted some decent items, moderately priced, because I did pretty well with the same records on waxi. I didn't plan on ever taking the time to post another one up here, but if there is genuine interest in records and no fee, I may give it a shot this month.

Access Granted.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    ive been intending on a set sale for like 6 months. i know i posted i was gonna do it "soon" like, back in the fall. i dont mind paying a fee, just havent have time to get my ish together yet. for the record, i much prefer a soul strut set sale than any other means of selling my stuff.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    SportCasual said:

^^ This

I sell on Waxidermy because they actually buy my crap. (Kidding!) I, like bass_fever, have experienced the same sort of situation re: sales. I'm down to try to do a few Strut-only sales.

• StringsStrings 82 Posts
    Murdock said:
    SportCasual said:

Good Idea

Set sales are free in the wants/trades/set sale section, while eBay links can be in the classifieds. Or maybe turn the classifieds into a free wants/trades/set sale section while eBay link can have its own sub forum.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    what karlophone said
    as soon as i get mailers it's on

:beerbang:

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i'm interested in seeing where this goes. i remember the days when i'd check for setsales before the discussion forums. asnt been much reason to do that lately

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Strut only Set Sale #1 is now posted in classifieds.

there's a record missing from it!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:

• crabmongerfunk said:
    personally, i'd commit to a modest yearly donation if that were the case. maybe go pbs style and charge like 40 bucks and throw in a soulstrut t-shirt and some of the more memorable graemlins in sticker form (both of which sort of function as advertising for the site). i certainly don't think you should be losing money on this site (especially since so many of us benefit from its existence in one way or another) but maybe the pump needs priming...

killer idea!

• also, how does one see that section on a mobile device? Haven't seen a sell on my phone- might helps lot...

gareth said:
    also, how does one see that section on a mobile device? Haven't seen a sell on my phone- might helps lot...

menu>classifieds

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I am gonna be all up and down up in this bith in a month or so with the Haryou, Placebos, Cortex, Dansers etc etc.

And then I'll be hijacking the worldwide wallet on a Eurofunk 45 frenzy not witnessed for many a moon round these parts.

Mailers (crazy efficient Chorman providence, natch) on order.

Watch out for teh Skel Soul Strut Set Sale **S5*

You have been warned.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    SoulOnIce said:

I had no idea cats were so down for that Leon Haywood.

It'll be up soon, this was just to test the waters. So far it ain't bad (no love for jazz funk medium raer?)

I didn't know cats were either, haha. I'm just trying to complete my Leon Haywood filing - and the two 45s I have from him on Fat Fish are excellent.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts