total dud?

discuss

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    10 minutes and 5 views? (3 by me)

Yup, struts dead

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    GUZ, I GOT THIS.

Classic soul heat. I've got a whole mess of Collier's singles on Chess (plus one on Peachtree). Most are great. My favorite is the chilling "My Party," concerning her boyfriend about to get shipped off to Vietnam. Not as weepy as you'd think, but during the choruses you can hear the rage in her voice.

She's a preacher in Chicago now. I attended one Sunday morning, and she could still holler. Eli "Paperboy" Reed, the famed retro soulman, was living in Chicago at the time (late 2003) and playing organ behind her.

And, as you may have guessed, that is NOT her on the cover of Shades Of A Genius. That's a reissue from the 80s that Sugarhill released when it owned the Chess masters. The original cover didn't have her picture on it at all.

• thrilled to find 'the warning' many years back judging by the sleeve and the artist.

total dud.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    [size=6]
    She's a preacher in Chicago now. I attended one Sunday morning, and she could still holler. Eli "Paperboy" Reed, the famed retro soulman, was living in Chicago at the time (late 2003) and playing organ behind her.

That would be an awesome sermon.

I love her chess singles. I only own one of the albums I posted (doubles of it at that). and often wondered about her other small label stuff, sucks to hear "The Warning" is wack

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I like Mitty Collier, have a lot of her 45s filed, often confuse her songs with some Fontella Bass & Jan Bradley ones...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    "My Babe" never leaves the DJ box

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've never had any of those posted.

I have never cared for any of the ones I have had.
    Mostly 50s style pop ballads I think.
    One I had was on Paul Winley.