March Finds

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited February 2012 in Strut Central
various wheelings and dealings over the past couple of months. thanks to the board member who hooked me up with some of these.

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Nice finds. That Erwin Lehn is one of THE best MPS records IMO. File next to Herbolzheimer's Wide Open.

• Kinetic said:
    That Erwin Lehn is one of THE best MPS records IMO.

my girld told me in no uncertain terms the other day that i was not to play "that record" in the morning..the jiggs whigham is also one of the top mps records i have heard. george gruntz kills (as usual) and it even has a marc moulin penned track..

the most dissapointing album in that bunch is the h rap brown/leon thomas record. there is a really amazing version of "um um um" but for some inexplicable reason, and to horrible effect, they intercut it with an h rap brown speech

• any you folks come up or find any cool records and such?

• minimini 879 Posts

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    any you folks come up or find any cool records and such?

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    Almost traded this mellow track but grabbed it before it went out the door!

Herman Davis Gotta Be Loved

These are some of my highlights from the last few weeks. Been buying so much recently because there has been so much around!

Upon searching the track list this is a private press promo only release by Jack Grassel. It has some decent moments check these two tracks featuring a prog/funk/fusion sound
    Count To Seven And Boogie
    Barebottom

Two long time wants crossed off, love both of these!
    What Do You Think Of The War - Rebecca & The Sunnybrook Farmers

finally scored very cheap minty copy of Cop show themes and the Johnny Winter was spotless at HPB for $6

I'm really digging this Bizarros LP especially for $3
    Bizarros - Young Girls At The Market

Thanks to Mikey at Mindcure records for Candido, Haynes, Mars Bonfire, and Ike & Tina, and Fahey

Overall with all the wheelin and dealin I've been doing I feel pretty good about 2012 so far!

• Not too much of note. Noticed a couple of Asian records at the Cannington Salvation Army and decided to buy 'em both for a buck. One had a nice uptempo break but don't know much about the record other than it's The Stylers. Anyone got any additional information?

The Stylers

• calkutacalkuta 160 Posts
    these are actually from february and i apologize in advance for the terrible photos

Lenni Sesar-Morris Park
    Ralph Robles-Las Quisquellanas
    Harlem River Drive-Need You
    James Brown-Soul Pride
    Jamie Lyons-Soul Struttin'
    Syl Johnson-Different Strokes
    The Winstons-Amen Brother
    The Buena Vistas-Soul Clappin'
    The Soul Society-Afro-Desia
    Lee Dorsey-Confusion
    The Messengers-California Soul
    Sunrize-Who's Stickin' It

• minimini 879 Posts
    From last few months:

Shop:

Fleas, etc:

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Technically "last-week-of-February-finds":

Lost Silvertones (test press, signed by band) = best record ever

• Sorry for the shi**y pics.
    Attached files

maxveritech said:
    Not too much of note. Noticed a couple of Asian records at the Cannington Salvation Army and decided to buy 'em both for a buck. One had a nice uptempo break but don't know much about the record other than it's The Stylers. Anyone got any additional information?

The Stylers

From that snippet it sounds like a promising LP

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Found these yesterday at a thrift shop for 2 bucks a pop. I can die now.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Oligee said:

Ktown?

DIE!

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    Oligee said:

Ktown?

DIE!

Dead! Found in West LA

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    mini said:

Shop:

Man that Wayne Jarrett is so good. Heavy rotation for years.

• Humanacat said:

what'S the Fuzztones like?

• minimini 879 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    mini said:

Shop:

Man that Wayne Jarrett is so good. Heavy rotation for years.

Yes it??s a great record!

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    fuggit
    ..repost

Micalizzi is off the hook - feel like im just dipping my toe in the ocean of italian osts with some recent cops-
    any other recommendations in that particular genre?

• minimini 879 Posts
    fejmelba said:

What??s up with the Family Four? Passed it many times at flea markets.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    mini said:
    fejmelba said:

What??s up with the Family Four? Passed it many times at flea markets.
    nothin special really. i like a few songs but its sampler fodder mainly.
    my finds are always thrift finds so a few euro cents never hurt when i come up with a turd.

• Picked up some nice stuff yesterday that inspired me to finally take some photos & post. I enjoy these threads because even though I usually don't know 90% of what's pictured it trains my eyes to look out for things I might otherwise pass by. One thing I do know is that Joao Donato album on Pacific Jazz that crabmonger put up in the first post--GREAT Brazilian jazz record and I guess it's not too easy to find.

Anyway--these were all from one store yesterday. Wouldn't have known about the Lee Michaels if not for whoever posted it in the "harder than the Meters" thread. Jimmy Ponder I had never heard of but listened to it and thought it was worth the $5 price of admission.
    Attached files

• Everything here except Lou Courtney came from the same source as the first photo. I must admit to passing by the Unifics album once or twice in the past, probably because I saw a lot of covers on the track list, but man am I glad I stopped sleeping on this one. Worth it just for "Tables Turned" in my opinion. The Miles and George Benson are later pressings but were cheap and sound fantastic.

A word about the Lou Courtney--pardon my ignorance but what's the deal w/ the mono vs. stereo versions? I've heard "Do The Thing" with and without backup singers. Is it mono=backup singers and stereo=no backups?
    Attached files

• These are from the last month or two. I didn't know much post-Mayfield Stairsteps but their production is fantastic on this album. The Jay & Techniques I worried about being lots of filler but I'm impressed with the quality/consistency of the whole thing. The Ted Taylor is a weird Swedish re-ish from the 80s but collects a lot of great songs from different labels and sounds very good.
    Attached files

• Oligee said:

fake finds alert!!! seriously, that is a huge come up. what is the record in the mmiddle.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    hit up the grand opening of a new record store in Mississippi...found a bunch of great stuff for cheap, everything was $2.50 to $7.50(Meterogene was from a dealer and the Nick Waterhouse is a new release whihc I scooped from the interweb)