Planet Rock question

jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
edited February 2012 in Strut Central
Did Planet Rock get much radio play or was it strictly a clurb thing?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    everyday

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It was everywhere, thanks to the boombox era.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    It was everywhere
    Everywhere. I first heard it at an indoor tennis court in the deepest whitest heart of Ohio, waiting for my mom to finish her match and nursing one of those Danish cookies while watching my man Jeff put in work on a table-top Mr. Do. I even remember the song that came on after it: your boy Phil Collins's "I Don't Care Anymore."

Man, don't get me started. "Planet Rock" is probably the single most important record of my lifetime.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    It was everywhere, thanks to the boombox era.

harvey knows. this song was huge everywhere. the first record that crossed over big time from new york.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    It got major play in the South and spawned Miami Bass in the process.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I read an article where Marley Marl said he played some drum machine at a party and Luke was open and jacked it.

This was way after Planet Rock.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jspr said:
    Where do the Jive Rhythm Trax fit in with Planet Rock, OG Euro/Kraftwerk Electro and Miami Bass?
    Prolly somewhere after Planet rock and before Miami Bass?

I'd say so, yeah. The Jive Rhythm Trax record was definitely post-Planet Rock (and obv. Kraftwerk too), but probably a little bit before Miami Bass formulated itself into a recognised genre. Pretty sure I once read it was a key record for that scene too.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    batmon said:
    I read an article where Marley Marl said he played some drum machine at a party and Luke was open and jacked it.

This was way after Planet Rock.

I think I read the same article where Marley talks about doing gigs in Miami that Luke and them would put on and taking the 808 down there which he played while Shante freestyled for hours. After the show Luke asked him about the drum machine and Marley says the next time they went to Miami EVERYONE had an 808.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I remember being in grade school when Planet Rock dropped and that song was EVERY WHERE here in B-More. It got played at school assemblies, public events, I don't think there was a single venue, event, party (any age), etc. that this song didn't get played at. It wound up being the "go-to" song to interest or appeal to the young demographic. For all you young cats that were born after those days, I don't think it can be expressed in words how big of song Planet Rock truly was then.

• I remember reading someone saying how ubiquitous it was over that summer and beyond, they said something like "you could hear that hi hat no matter where you were, you could be one end of the beach and you'd hear it being played from a box at the other"

or something like that

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Jspr said:
    Where do the Jive Rhythm Trax fit in with Planet Rock, OG Euro/Kraftwerk Electro and Miami Bass?

I'd say so, yeah. The Jive Rhythm Trax record was definitely post-Planet Rock (and obv. Kraftwerk too), but probably a little bit before Miami Bass formulated itself into a recognised genre. Pretty sure I once read it was a key record for that scene too.

The Jive Rhythm trax record was a UK group (Wilsden dodgers) and is from 1982, so it's after 'Planet rock' but predates Miami bass. Great record BTW.

:feelin_it:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    james said:
    "Planet Rock" is probably the single most important record of my lifetime.

There are two moments in my life as a young person that made such an impact that they are as clear and palpable now as when they first happened to me.

One is watching the doctor sew my pinky finger that was was split open by my cousin shutting an iron gate on it and the second is standing in front of the stereo, putting in the tape that was going around the neighbourhood and hearing Planet Rock for the first time. Everyone was losing their shit over The Message, but it was Planet Rock that blew my mind.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Craig said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Jspr said:

The Jive Rhythm trax record was a UK group (Wilsden dodgers) and is from 1982, so it's after 'Planet rock' but predates Miami bass. Great record BTW.

:feelin_it:

Y'know, I wasn't certain about that, but I had a feeling it might have originated out of Jive's London office - probably the work of the house engineers at Battery Studios in Willesden. A friend of mine worked there for a while, and did a few "UK remix" type things for the likes of R. Kelly and the Fu-Schickens, alongside Tosh from Vinyl Solution. I'll ask him if he knows anything about that record, although it could have been before his time.