SS Catnip for the Ages: "Instrumental Hip-Hop Sucks. Ban It Forever." - SF Weekly

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited February 2012 in Strut Central
Instrumental hip-hop should be banned. It's the banal, meandering stepchild of hip-hop. It's a front-runner for the dubious honor of being the world's most snooze-inducing form of music. And, shockingly, there are still producers and fans who insist on validating it like it's anything but sample-based Chinese water-torture -- one of whom, RJD2, will be airing out his oh-so-atmospheric productions at Manor West on Wednesday, Feb.1.
Beyond playing spot-the-samples, listening to the entirety of an instrumental project from the likes of Madlib, RJD2, or J Dilla -- who now presumably spends his days pestering heaven's denizens with the unreleased off-cuts from his bizarrely worshipped Donuts ruse -- is a feat requiring the ability to numb your mind while practicing saintly levels of patience...

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2012/01/instrumental_hip-hop_sucks_ban.php

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Ha... I was just reading this from bassie on fb.

Reading dudes other works, I wouldn't put much into it...

"Kreayshawn is 2011's most dramatic hip-hop blow-up story."

"I usually don't have the patience to listen to instrumental hip-hop without soon ditching the track in question, after I realize all I really want to hear is M.O.P. shout-rap their way through a song sprinkled with gun noises)"

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Just funny, some producer(s) I know got really angry about this. I had a good laugh, agreed and disagreed and played out RJD2's "Ghostwriter" to a full packed club after it was requested by a nice girl yesterday night and everybody danced. Life is good, move on with your blogself....

• Hack journalist takes "controversial" stand in order to draw attention to themselves chapter 8697.

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.......

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yes, it should definitely be a San Francisco paper saying this.

b/w

The purtified piss on Dilla's grave only makes the grass grow that much better.

• From te article it seems like he doesn't k ow the difference between instrumentals from a rap record and someone who is intentionally making instrumental music.

Anyhoo.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I understand the sentiment.

The correct response is to put out really good--and perhaps moderately successful--instrumental (hip hop) albums.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This cd is better than anything that dude will ever write...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Whitey takes essentialist stance in order prove just how very very much he loves Black Genre X chapter 8697.

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.......

Also, this:

Controller_7 said:
    From the article it seems like he doesn't know the difference between instrumentals from a rap record and someone who is intentionally making instrumental music.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    From te article it seems like he doesn't k ow the difference between instrumentals from a rap record and someone who is intentionally making instrumental music.

True. Although to be fair, neither do a lot of "instrumental" producers.

• DJ_Enki said:
    Controller_7 said:
    From te article it seems like he doesn't k ow the difference between instrumentals from a rap record and someone who is intentionally making instrumental music.

Yeah, I was going to say that, but thought that I was already putting too many words into the conversation. Not worth it. But, if your "instrumental song" follows a verse chorus verse chorus format it's just a rap beat doggie.

• DJ_Enki said:
    Controller_7 said:

Yeah, I was going to say that, but thought that I was already putting too many words into the conversation. Not worth it. But, if your "instrumental song" follows a verse chorus verse chorus format it's just a rap beat doggie.