Luis Alberto Spinetta RIP

HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
edited February 2012 in Strut Central
I've never seen him mentioned here, but thought I'd post this anyway. The real father of Spanish language rock in South America, leader of numerous important bands (Almendra, Pescado Rabioso, Invisible, Spinetta Jade etc), and one of the greatest song writers anywhere. In many ways he is to Argentina what Caetano Veloso is to Brazil. Almendra was the first South American band to sing in Spanish and play in a unique style that wasn't an obvious derivative of an American or British band.

He's on the short list of my favorite artists ever:

RIP "El Flaco"

Comments

• If anyone is interested, I'll be doing a two-hour tribute show tonight on East Village Radio at 8:00.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm surprised anybody would be into Spinetta on Soulstrut. I guess his importance to the country can be paralleled with Caetano, but I think a more befitting title would be the Argentinean equivalent of David Bowie. Never was too big on Spinettas music, but I do like some Almendra stuff.

When I was in Buenos Aires earlier this year I got to jam with Spinetta's drummer Jota Morelli on a funk night. Needless to say Jota is a bad ass motherfucker.

- spidey

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    ..but with all due respect. Rest in peace Spinetta.

- spidey

• SPlDEY said:
    I'm surprised anybody would be into Spinetta on Soulstrut.

Pretty sure I'm the only one.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I like some of his music, I'm just not a big fan of the rip threads; & all my friends have been posting his music on facebook for the past week as well. He's still very popular over there. My friend is his son's dj.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I really like one of the tracks on the Invisibles LP, and the seven inch that came with it. I used to play that no the radio all the time.

• For people who'd like to check out some great tunes and my awkward on air personality, here's a link to a two hour tribute show:

http://www.eastvillageradio.com/content/content.php?id=3136