@DBCooper. Wangs, plaese to speak on it. (Superbowl Snacks-rel)

2»

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Dang, y'all, didn't you realize that you'd need to become a parent once you decided to become a parent? Plaese to stop whining already. It ain't that hard.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's kind of hard. I'm just saying. In any case, "decide" was a relative term in our case.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I can cut a little slack for a surprise, but then you still have 8-9 months to get your heads right. I can attest that becoming a father forced me to change, to become less concerned with myself and infinitely patient and giving...but those are all great things to be. In other words, the rewards are boundless for attaining the proper focus and locking into the parenting groove. Today, I had my daughter to wake up at 6:30 and get ready for school...I've got office work until 2...pick my daughter up from school at 2:45...go directly to Kealing Middle School to do the afterschool program...then directly to basketball practice to coach...then gotta race home to get my daughter to bed. It's about as grueling a day as it gets, busy life/parenting-wise. But I welcome every second of it.

• My kids are named 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep a niight.

• DB_Cooper said:

The key is to pan-fry them bacon-style first and render out much of the fat before baking them. If you just pop them in the oven, you get that flaccid fat layer going on that's pretty nasty.

Cooper is on to something. Food lab going in on this today: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/01/the-food-lab-how-to-make-best-buffalo-wings-fry-again-ultimate-crispy-deep-fried-buffalo-wings.html#continued

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:

The key is to pan-fry them bacon-style first and render out much of the fat before baking them. If you just pop them in the oven, you get that flaccid fat layer going on that's pretty nasty.

Cooper is on to something. Food lab going in on this today: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/01/the-food-lab-how-to-make-best-buffalo-wings-fry-again-ultimate-crispy-deep-fried-buffalo-wings.html#continued

BOOM. Tess wouldn't touch a fried chicken wing though, so I have to go with the pan-sear/baking one-two punch. They're not crispy like that, but the rest of it holds up. For my own purposes though, I may have to fry some for this weekend.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    buffalo wings is not that big a a deal.

• DB_Cooper said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:

BOOM. Tess wouldn't touch a fried chicken wing though, so I have to go with the pan-sear/baking one-two punch. They're not crispy like that, but the rest of it holds up. For my own purposes though, I may have to fry some for this weekend.

No doubt, although you should also check out the baking powder method I posted yesterday if going the oven route and you don't feel like pan-frying. I put baking powder on the pork skin for the 3 Kings' Day porchetta, and it was out of control crispy.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    DB_Cooper said:

No doubt, although you should also check out the baking powder method I posted yesterday if going the oven route and you don't feel like pan-frying. I put baking powder on the pork skin for the 3 Kings' Day porchetta, and it was out of control crispy.

Oh, I'll definitely give it go. I do luh me some crispy wangs.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Lots of wing knowledge being dropped. I put a bunch of Sriracha in melted butter, then soak the wings in that for an hour and then cook 'em up on the grill. With all that butter and Schmaltz dripping off the wings, it's flare-up city so you have to be quick with the tongs and keep the lid on your Webber. It's not a recipe any purist would respect, but it's damn tasty.

This year as usual, my Super Bowl wings spent 8 1/2 hours on a smokey grill. And came off a pig:

• Steve's Rockamole
    ??
    Ingredients:
    ??
    4* avocados
    0.5 tsp cumin
    0.5 tsp salt
    0.5 tsp cayenne (red) pepper (powder)
    2 tomatoes on the vine (for best results, remove seeds and juice), chopped
    half onion (medium size), chopped
    juice of 1 lime
    half a sprig of cilantro, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 bag tortilla chips
    ??
    Directions:
    ??
    Chop the tomatoes, cilantro, and onion.
    ??
    Mince the garlic.
    ??
    Mix together the tomatoes, cilantro, onion, and garlic.
    ??
    Mash 3 avocados (a potato masher works great) in a large bowl, adding the lime juice immediately.
    ??
    Gradually mix in the cumin, salt, and cayenne (red) pepper.
    ??
    Mix in the chopped tomato, onion, garlic, and cilantro
    ??
    Mix in the 4th avocado, in cubes, for texture.
    ??
    Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour, then serve with your favorite tortilla chips.?? To avoid browning (oxidization), place the saran wrap on the guac's surface like a skin so that it is not exposed to the air.?? Also store any leftovers in this manner.
    ??
    Always use fresh ingredients!
    ??
    * also works with 3 avocados, with half of the 3rd being added in cubes instead of the 4th, though this is a little stronger.

• I tried DB Cooper's recipe earlier in the week.. really liked it but had to go Buffalo for the big game. first fried low to render, floured 3 parts with 1 part baking soda and 1 part onion salt / chili

these were crisp as hell