YO LITTLE BROTHER

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
SOULSTRUT...DO YOU REMEMBER THIS?
(at least those of you pushing forty?)
Sometimes you think about the most obscure, forgotten shit at 3 AM.
I remember this song being unavoidable in late '84/early '85. Even though the Billboard charts tell us that Nolan Thomas'"Yo, Little Brother" charted but never made the Top 20 (pop or soul), I find it hard to believe. This track was blaring from every open window that had a radio next to it.
And as you can see below, for a song on a major label subsidiary, "Yo, Little Brother" had a CHEAP-looking video that probably looked dated and tacky even back then:

Now, I can't stand this song by a long shot. Not back then and not right now. But it surprises me how utterly forgotten this song is, considering how ubiquitous it was at the time.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    this was a hit, but the video didnt help even if i kinda like it.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Proto Rick Astley

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    :shut:

I have this stuck in my head now

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    Ha! never even noticed this was used in Salt and Pepa - I'll Take Your Man!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Pickwick,

I used to love this song, and funny enough, I pulled out my old 12" version of it not too long ago. It is odd how the joint just fell off the radar. I've been re-discovering a number of 80s tunes and I"m surprised at how much I still enjoy a lot of them. For instance, I tripped out on how much I liked the Twilight 22 LP (name is escaping me at the moment) with "Electric Kingdom" on it. I played it a couple of weekends ago and I forgot that it had some nice R&B joints on it. I guess I'm getting old since I'm forgetting the contents of LPs I haven't heard for a long time.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I was 6 when this came out and I also remember it getting tons of airplay. I freakin loved it. It may have had something to do with the fact that it was about a bad ass little brother and I was always fighting with my big brother.
    I did notice that it completely fell off the face of the earth too.

• dj_cityboy said:
    Ha! never even noticed this was used in Salt and Pepa - I'll Take Your Man!

???around the 17 second mark:

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    ^^ yeah man...funny i was just killing the Hot Cool Vicious album this morning....

stumbled on this and had a small WTF moment as i forgot all about this track.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Downstroke said:

This video rules.

• Downstroke said:

sick video. 2:12 office people on London Bridge reminds me of the ending of Trainspotting. no manic smile walk past focal area though.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Downstroke said: