Sunny Grooves

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central

A mix I put together with some new tunes I got in recently. Enjoy!

Comments

• sounds amazing, as usual

question -- is it getting more and more difficult to find music that is new to you in Ghana / Benin / Nigeria? Or are you constantly finding new heat at pretty much the same rate? Just curious.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I'm still getting in new stuff all the time. There remains a small handful of LPs from Ghana and one or two from Benin that I'm missing and that's only those that I know about. When it comes to 45s there must be a few dozen releases (as far as funk goes) from each country that I haven't found yet and I have not much hope of ever finding them all. As far as Nigeria goes, there must be hundreds of LPs and 45s still out there that I've never even heard of. The Orlando Julius LP that I put out last year was unknown to everybody I asked about it and that's a Philips release of one of Nigeria's best known artists. It's kind of cool though that none of the people who seriously collect this stuff will ever have a "complete" collection but an individual one. So yeah, there's still stuff out there to be found but it's getting harder and harder every year. The latest developments in Nigeria are also very troubling... just a few months ago, my friend Ken went to Kano and found the most ridiculous stuff and now the place is a war zone.