What are the jeeps pumping in your neighbourhood? (Music-R)

SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
I'm always interested to hear what music total strangers play loud out of their cars.. so i thought i'd create a thread for it. Please also include the neighbourhood and any other details you want to.

Probably my favourite recollection is from back in 2006 in Camberwell, London. It was a black convertable jeep blasting T.I "Why You Wanna" and it sounded so good. It actually made me go out and cop the CD.

I can't remember any lately but unfortunately where i currently live in Sydney its more likely to be some trashy dance music.

Whats hot on the streets where you are?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Spacecho said:
    I'm always interested to hear what music total strangers play loud out of their cars.. so i thought i'd create a thread for it. Please also include the neighbourhood and any other details you want to.

Probably my favourite recollection is from back in 2006 in Camberwell, London. It was a black convertable jeep blasting T.I "Why You Wanna" and it sounded so good. It actually made me go out and cop the CD.

I can't remember any lately but unfortunately where i currently live in Sydney its more likely to be some trashy dance music.

In my neighborhood, Cully, all the windows are rolled up and the sound turned down. I heard some music I guess last summer, but loud music and jeeps, and cruising seem to have disappeared from around here. I used to hear a lot of ranchero/Norteno.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Dave Mathews live. I'll burn you a copy.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    This weekend I heard:

Vybz Kartel
    Jeezy
    soca
    yell-y rock stuff I don't know

The car I was in on Saturday night was blasting Little Brother lol

Oh - I was in the Lawrence/Jane/Falstaff area of Toronto

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    so last century

• batmon said:
    so last century

ouch!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Seattle Chinatown. Cantonese and Vietnamese pop music . All day, every day.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Unlistenable-outside-of-Guantanamo 200 bpm blipcore.

My ears formed two sad faces on the side of my head.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    low-rider dude blasting barbara mason "i'm ready" at 2:30 am, mission, SF. not mad at it!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    My daughter and I enjoying some South Park Mexican banging out of a lowrider truck at the gas station the other day.

• I hear a lot of good stuff everyday out of my window. I live on a busy street and my room is street side.
    Of course, lots of go-go
    Mucho bachata and cumbia
    Metallica
    That synonymous mixtape sound. I hear that playing a lot.
    Not too long ago, this suv at the stoplight at the end of my block was gettin' grown & sessy to some Radiance.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Spacecho said:

Apart from the standard-issue shit--blocks-away quad bass boom that turns out to be Nortec tuba, tall donks stopped at crosswalks bumping trap rap du jour, rough-around-the-edges boxframes coasting along and leaking steppers, good girls with hairdos and bluetooths p/raising it up in their pill-shaped KIAs with some Kirk Franklin, et cetera, et cetera--notables that I have heard and seen include:

- a greying dreadlock one block over, out in front of his building with a sponge and bucket, weeping quietly but openly and detailing his modest ride while "Holding Back the Years" played from its slightly ajar door.

- a beefy Kimbo Slice dead-ringer ice-grilling while he loaded into his boxy and crispy-white city-ordinance PACE car (in Chicago, they use Scions to transport the disabled--the more you think about that, the less surprising it is) a slight gentleman ensconced in a mountainous, tech-encusted wheelchair, with "J.B.'s Monorail" playing from the car radio at ear-bleed volume.

- a five-hundred-pound dude on a Gixxer bumping "Cha-Cha Slide" in 2011.

- one of my neighborhood's many dubiously committed cross-dressers (e.g. dudes who will, like, wear flowered dresses and church crowns and jewelery and makeup while unapologetically rocking full moustaches and sideburns) cruising with the top down and singing along in a weird warble to Debbie Gibson's "Out Of The Blue" (presumably on cassette).

But like the man says, all these moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Some truly unforgettable shit that I experienced along these lines was over Fourth Of July a few years ago.

I've talked about this a little before, but whenever there's a parade in my neighborhood, there's a group of black cowboys that come over from a little bit south and a little bit west and make the scene with their ponies and finery and whatnot. And every time, it becomes clear that there are two camps: There's the slightly older dudes who lean toward more a more traditional vibe, with their Stetsons, cowboy boots, color-blocked shirts with pearl snap buttons, hand-tooled brown leather saddles, etc. And then there's the younger cats who basically dress like Slim Thug, and a number of whom rock saddles with chrome(!), neon (!!) and built-in sound systems(!!!). I was on my way home from putting in some weekend hours at my job, and I ran across a staging area on the MIdway Plaisance where about fifteen or twenty representatives of both camps were amiably posse'd up, just shooting the shit and comparing gear.

Anyway, I tell you all that just so I can tell you this:

I have heard Rob Base & D.J. E-Z Rock's "It Takes Two" pumping off of a mothefucking horse.

And what can you say about that, really?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It takes shoe to make a hoof go right.

• HarveyCanal said:
    My daughter and I enjoying some South Park Mexican banging out of a lowrider truck at the gas station the other day.

It makes me uncomfortable to read these words in the same sentence: "South Park Mexican" "banging" "my daughter".

In my neighborhood, most of what I hear is boring radio rap (esp. Drake) but I was happy when someone's car system put me on to this:

Snoop Dogg: "Wonder What It Do"

So grown and summertime-y.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Mongo_Slade said:
    HarveyCanal said:

It makes me uncomfortable to read these words in the same sentence: "South Park Mexican" "banging" "my daughter".
    Oh shit--the post from Mongo_Slade combined with the reference to performers who like having sex with underage girls reminds me: A few years ago I saw R. Kelly and his entourage crew-deep in the black jeep in the parking lot of erstwhile Chicago landmark/teen hangout Rock N' Roll McDonalds right around (coincidentally enough) 3:30 in the afternoon, doors wide open and bumping exclusively the music of (you know what's coming [gurrrrl]) R. Kelly, in full "attract mode." That was a little while back, but I've heard dude still utilizes this maneuver from time to time. Deeply fucked-up.

Also, if I ever put together a slow-jams tape, I will definitely call it Bumping (You) Exclusively.