ID a record cover please

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
I found this cover, but have no clue from which artist it is.

Dou you know it ?

Thanks

Comments

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Hawkeye said:
    I found this cover, but have no clue from which artist it is.

Dou you know it ?

Thanks

Damn, that;s the illmatic inspiration. Ive seen it, that's a rare find if i can remember. Can't remember the artist name...
    No record inside?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think this record is real good.
    Howard Hanger is some kind of new age cult leader in Ashville NC when I checked.
    I called him but never heard back. His other records have more of a Brubeck vibe IIRC.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    leon said:

Damn, that;s the illmatic inspiration. Ive seen it, that's a rare find if i can remember. Can't remember the artist name...
    No record inside?

No, I think he found it on the web.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So what would Rae and Ghost say about shark biters, biting Nas's album cover? ;)

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Thanks for your help. And yes, I found the picture on the web, havent found the cover in real world.

Sorry if I wrote it in a way that you misunderstood it.

Is there any confirmation that this was a inspration for Illmatic ??

I think it's a coincidence. In any case, other artists, pre-hip-hop, have used a similar concept too: http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/b/bataan_joe~_salsoul~~_102b.jpg

Last month, Groove Merchant had a copy of the LP in stock. It's not a particularly interesting jazz LP but I'm assuming no one's buying it for the music.

NEW THREAD: Post Record Covers With A Face Superimposed Over A City Scape

I will think of one to post soon.

• LaserWolf said:

See, that Idris cover would be, in my opinion, a more likely inspiration for "Illmatic" if you had to insist on finding one.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    See, that Idris cover would be, in my opinion, a more likely inspiration for "Illmatic" if you had to insist on finding one.
    Not to be picky, but why do you think that? The fact that the two covers look a like is probably coincidence anyway,
    Still, these

just don't look a lot like

/2ct

I am sure there are more in this vein, but I can't dredge them up.
    I was going to post the back cover of Hampton Hawes Northern Windows, which is reminiscent of the Idris, but not at all in the same vein as the other 2.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I forget the name of it, but there's a fairly obscure group soul LP on Hot Wax with a cover that fits this theme well.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    I forget the name of it, but there's a fairly obscure group soul LP on Hot Wax with a cover that fits this theme well.

Of all the Hot Wax releases, it took a long time for me to like this one.
    Attached files

• LaserWolf said:

leon said:
    mannybolone said:
    Not to be picky, but why do you think that?

Because that Idris LP is something that would have been more likely to circulate in the hip-hop circles that help create "Illmatic" than Hanger's LP, which is far more obscure a title than any Kudu title.

I'm not insisting the Hanger LP was NOT the source - obviously, a visual level, the similarities are uncanny. But as people are pointing out, the basic visual motif of superimposing a face over scenes of the city wasn't unusual in the 1970s.

BTW: I just wrote the art designer for Illmatic; maybe she can shed some light here.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    How about the album actually called superimposition:

• minimini 879 Posts

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I was going to post the back cover of Hampton Hawes Northern Windows, which is reminiscent of the Idris, .

the back cover? I can't see any resemblance. I digress but I've always remembered the Idris and Hawes covers because, for Idris, well he's staring at the twin towers and I happened to be listening to it on the dreadful day, so it kinda freaked me out to make the connection whilst watching the news. Hawes, because I've never seen such a group of inmates assembled into a single group.

Like I said, it didn't work.
    I looked for an image, thinking it might, and found these. And like I said, it didn't work.

• There. Fixed!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I still don't get what "didn't work."

Reynaldo said:
    I still don't get what "didn't work."

I meant the HH is not a face superimposed over a city scape.