Postal Rates on Shiping Records?

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
Ok I'm new to selling record on e-bay so I'm sorry if I'm being an idiot. But......the first batch I sent out all cost $7-8 a pop media mail. Is this normal? I'm using pretty heavy duty cardboard so I'm wondering if that's an issue. A record should weight about 7 ounces plus sleeve which could put it over 10oz especially on a gatefold. My packages are weighing about 22oz so I'm using a little over the weight of the record in packing material. Should I size down my cardboard? I like to have 2 layers to make the package very sturdy.

I know I've paid this much in the past on some items. I also know I received items where the postage label on the outside was more than I paid and I felt bad for the seller just eating that.

Ebay won't allow more than $4 in the posting and when I called them they said you have to work it out with the buyer if it's more.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    http://postcalc.usps.gov/

Are you in the US?
    Contiguous 48?

Media mail 1lb6oz should be $2.82.

Perhaps your postal clerk is pocketing the diff.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    http://postcalc.usps.gov/

Are you in the US?
    Contiguous 48?

Media mail 1lb6oz should be $2.82.

Perhaps your postal clerk is pocketing the diff.

Thanks, I'm going to ask for a different clerk or a manager. It's a small town and the regular clerk tried to argue with me that I can't send record media mail. As if media only means paper!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    There used to be an overseas media that excluded records.
    Domestically you are right they are wrong.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Cosign w/ Laserwolf. Media doessn't cost more than 3 bucks for one LP weighing under 2 lbs. $7-8 would be nrmal for Priority. No way for media.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    On the topic of P.O. clerks not understanding things pertaining to mailing records:

I had a postal clerk almost try to argue with me that "albums" (meaning photo albums) could not be mailed to Italy so perhaps that includes "record albums" too.

[There was a long, weird list of things that can't be mailed to Italy.]

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    During the holiday season, there were issues with different cashiers I'd have at the post office. There's one guy who will always make sure I have the bargain and/or better rate. There's another guy who will up the prices and fees. I obviously prefer one over the other.

If it is within the continental United States, Media Mail is still an option, in fact I mailed an album record to someone in California this morning via Media Mail. Some post offices will not tell you the difference between Parcel Post and Media Mail, while others will state that if you do not specifically ask for Media Mail, they will send it via Parcel Post by default. Mark the package as "Media Mail" and if for some reason they question it, ask to see a supervisor. Tell them you have no problem in opening the package right there, even though this means it will take time out of your busy schedule. They come off with attitude? Fuck it, say "you guys are already going bankrupt, what the fuck is five minutes of your time, since this is time that you're not going to have when they lay off your ass?" Then when they ask for how you want to pay, you say "OKAY YOU FRICKEN ASS FAUNTELROY, LEMME TELL YOU THIS. MY OPTION TODAY IS DEBIT!"

Then when the transaction is done, smile, say thank you, and walk off.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    johmbolaya said:
    During the holiday season, there were issues with different cashiers I'd have at the post office. There's one guy who will always make sure I have the bargain and/or better rate. There's another guy who will up the prices and fees. I obviously prefer one over the other.

If it is within the continental United States, Media Mail is still an option, in fact I mailed an album record to someone in California this morning via Media Mail. Some post offices will not tell you the difference between Parcel Post and Media Mail, while others will state that if you do not specifically ask for Media Mail, they will send it via Parcel Post by default. Mark the package as "Media Mail" and if for some reason they question it, ask to see a supervisor. Tell them you have no problem in opening the package right there, even though this means it will take time out of your busy schedule. They come off with attitude? Fuck it, say "you guys are already going bankrupt, what the fuck is five minutes of your time, since this is time that you're not going to have when they lay off your ass?" Then when they ask for how you want to pay, you say "OKAY YOU FRICKEN ASS FAUNTELROY, LEMME TELL YOU THIS. MY OPTION TODAY IS DEBIT!"

Then when the transaction is done, smile, say thank you, and walk off.

Ahhhhh, you read my mind!