CRACKED 45 GRADED VG+/VG++: IS THIS VIOLATING?

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
Does a crack that goes into the grooves automatically make it VG or worse?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Joe-Bataan-Uptite-Young-Gifted-Brown-VG-VG-Tiny-edge-crack-NAP_W0QQitemZ320824011586QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:101#ht_500wt_951

Anyone know the seller?

Who will dare to justify such grading?

Comments

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    He describes it in detail so who cares?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    mattB said:

Yeah, I much prefer an accurate description to just tossing a 'VG+' or whatever out there.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Right, I generally understand visual grading to mainly involve physical, visible scratch or scuff marks, dirt, and sheen/gloss (or lack thereof). Cracks -and warps- are sort of special conditions that definitely need to be noted but I don't tie those into the visual grade. Otherwise how do you rate a visually NM 45 that has a small storage warp? It starts getting too arbitrary.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    mattB said:
    His grading problem throws even the details into question. Like maybe if he doesn't think cracks are that bad, then maybe it's not a big deal for him if the inaudible crack actually goes into the first 10 grooves instead of 5 to 6. A lack of trustworthiness infects everything.

button said:
    Otherwise how do you rate a visually NM 45 that has a small storage warp?
    If the small storage warp goes undetected by the seller then it could be honestly graded NM, otherwise I'm not having it--warps are a visual component. Lower the grade to account for the warp.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    mattB said:
    His grading problem throws even the details into question. Like maybe if he doesn't think cracks are that bad, then maybe it's not a big deal for him if the inaudible crack actually goes into the first 10 grooves instead of 5 to 6. A lack of trustworthiness infects everything.

He describes the condition of everything in detail, and accurately mentions ringwear on the label that most would not bother to note at all.

Seems well described to me - with the thousands of obviously misgraded records on ebay I'm not sure why you would pick this one to start a thread about.

Reynaldo said:
    mattB said:
    On the flip side, if he grades it VG- with no description and it comes with a crack (as opposed to, say, a bunch of deep scratches) you're going to be seriously pissed off with probably not much of a leg to stand on if he's an asshole seller ("I told you it was VG-!!!").

But if you buy it after reading the description he used here and the crack goes to 10 grooves, you have a legitimate complaint of an incorrectly graded item.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    At the shops where I buy my records any cracked records are freebies regardless of rarity, and if the crack goes in 5 or 6 grooves, it does affect play.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I know this seller, he's quite trustworthy, has deep knowledge & decades in the game

he'll probably be at the record show this wknd, I'll address your question to him there

"are U str8 violating?"

PS: VG+ is the most meaningless grade out there, VG++??? please. I'd rather see an honest description of the flaws than a simple letter grade

Tell him to lower the grade because he's in the wrong. And I won't stop coming.

Reynaldo said:
    Tell him to lower the grade because he's in the wrong. And I won't stop coming.

Reynaldo said:
    You guys make some interesting points and valid arguments.
    I may reconsider my stance on the topic.
    Thanks!

Looks like he came to his senses regarding the grade, no doubt after realizing how squarely in the wrong he was about the nature of proper grading.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Joe-Baatan-Young-Gifted-Black-Uptight-1-8-inch-edge-crack_W0QQitemZ320868175132QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:101#ht_943wt_1063

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    He's crazy ... I love VG+ ... It's my M- in life ... Everything I do is VG+

• 55$ for a cracked 'young gifted and brown'??? it's less than that mint

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I've heard people complain that a drill hole in an otherwise mint record should be graded as VG+. So it isn't crazy to say a cracked record should be graded no higher than VG.