please help: ODB-related party break / dj tool ID

jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
What's up, soulstrut--you're looking good. Is that a new shirt? Word, I thought so. Very bold.

So, hey, I'm trying to find the name of this mid- to late-nineties record that I'm thinking was some kind of party break record or dj tool or something; it consisted entirely of Ol' Dirty Bastard's moans, groans, bellows, etc., culled from all his various appearances. So, it was like "AaaaaaUUUUGggggHHHH / oooooOOOOOOOOHHHhhhhhhAAAwww / HHHHeeeeeeYYYY / UUUUuuurrrrRRRRGGGggghhh" and so on, for several minutes on end. A beat may have kicked in at some point, but maybe not. I know that doesn't look real good on the page, but you'll have to trust me that it was magnetic in its way. The closest analogue I can think of is that record that DJ Premier used to use all the time that was like a solid minute of "Ha!"s sampled from various rap records (RUN-DMC, Melle Mel, etc.). And I feel like there was a similar record that was all "Good!"s, too.

Anyway, the ODB thing was playing in the background of some funky boutique establishment while my girlfriend was trying on a fairly spectacular pair of shoes during my very first visit to Chicago many years ago, so I have some nostalgia for it, and would love to know what it was.

Thanks.

james

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    james said:
    What's up, soulstrut--you're looking good. Is that a new shirt? Word, I thought so. Very bold.

So, hey, I'm trying to find the name of this mid- to late-nineties record that I'm thinking was some kind of party break record or dj tool or something; it consisted entirely of Ol' Dirty Bastard's moans, groans, bellows, etc., culled from all his various appearances. So, it was like "AaaaaaUUUUGggggHHHH / oooooOOOOOOOOHHHhhhhhhAAAwww / HHHHeeeeeeYYYY / UUUUuuurrrrRRRRGGGggghhh" and so on, for several minutes on end. A beat may have kicked in at some point, but maybe not. I know that doesn't look real good on the page, but you'll have to trust me that it was magnetic in its way. The closest analogue I can think of is that record that DJ Premier used to use all the time that was like a solid minute of "Ha!"s sampled from various rap records (RUN-DMC, Melle Mel, etc.). And I feel like there was a similar record that was all "Good!"s, too.

Anyway, the ODB thing was playing in the background of some funky boutique establishment while my girlfriend was trying on a fairly spectacular pair of shoes during my very first visit to Chicago many years ago, so I have some nostalgia for it, and would love to know what it was.

Thanks.

james

i think it was a mr. dibbs record. unearthed 1 or 2

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    also have a odb question. anybody know the name of the song -- it came out right after odb got out -- kinda melancholy track. odb wondering why he was put on this earth while he looks up at the night sky kinda song. i think it was unreleased.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I think it is Unearthed 2, a super extended aaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaa from the alcoholiks' hip hop drunkies that I've heard dibbs use in his sets too

I'm always freaked out when a battle record is played straight through

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    I think it is Unearthed 2, a super extended aaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaa from the alcoholiks' hip hop drunkies that I've heard dibbs use in his sets too
    Huh. Does the Dibbs thing just use the "Hip Hop Drunkies" intro? Because the thing I'm talking about was sewn together from a lot of different sources, including but not limited to "Drunkies," "Chessboxin'," "Shimmy Shimmy Ya," et cetera et cetera Peter Cetera. I think I even heard a snatch of the Illstyle Live jernt in there, but that might just be my memory fucking with me.

Again, I can't remember whether or not a beat eventually came in, but all the vocal pieces were sequenced in a way that gave the whole thing real rhythm, and it went on for a long-ass time. On the one hand it kinda had a rowdy, Crooklyn Clan, we-don't-give-a-fuck feel to it, but on the other hand it was pretty thorough and obviously took a minute to put together, so I could also see it being some bedroom dj's labor of love. Tough call.

A few years back I was playing my man some of those Crazy Wisdom Masters / Jungle Brother outtakes, and he said it sounded like they were just letting a battle record run and then rapping over it. Back then, that constituted a diss, but today, I don't know--it kinda feels like an idea whose time has come, you know? A somnambulant Lil' B in dialogue with a circa-1995 scratch sentence? Come on, son--shit would be money in the bank. Someone needs to make it happen and get that Boomkat Paypal like it was 2009.

yeah, when my dad recognizes "A Milli," who knows what could fly now. Put some dirt style on and whisper about eating zombie hats.

The Dibbs thing doesn't go on for more than 20 seconds, but I'm thinking you could've been hearing one of his sets. Although some drums or drum-sounding something should've come on. They always do. Don't they?

Now I want to hear it. I've concocted a version of it in my mind.

when dizzee rascal left the "wooooooo" in big beat, I was pretty sure that was on some next level I-don't-give-a-fuckness. How could you leave that in?

dukeofdelridge said:
    The Dibbs thing doesn't go on for more than 20 seconds, but I'm thinking you could've been hearing one of his sets. Although some drums or drum-sounding something should've come on. They always do. Don't they?

Yeah, I thought about it being one of his sets (and didn't Mix Master Mike used to have a little ODB thing he did, too? Or was that later?), but this was pretty crisp, and despite its overall funk it didn't really have that telltale Cincy nasty. To give you some context: This was a hipster boutique in mid-/late nineties Chicago, and the track in question was most likely functioning as an abstract-ish cool-out segue between some Propellerheads type bullshit and the previous year's drum-and-bass no-namer.

I always liked to imagine that the Dizzee shit was a tip of the bowler hat to JMJ's fuck-up in "Live At The Funhouse" (perhaps my second-favorite on-record fuck-up, right after the whole "Top Billin'" beat) but dude was hella young and sampling ringtones and shit, and I'm pretty sure he didn't really have it like that. As far as next-level "Big Beat"-related I-don't-give-a-fuckness, see also the aforementioned Jungle Brothers, who somehwere on that milk-carton third lp of theirs sample the part without the drums (just that first long "IIIIIIIIII").

Man, this thread kinda has me wanting to go pull out some shit. Pour a modest snifter of something and reminisce whilst listening to Litterthugz scratch tracks and gazing absently into the middle distance. In my bubble-goose smoking jacket on some "Ahh, this stuff indubitably is fresh."

• james said:
    Litterthugz

Did you make it out to their reunion show next Tuesday? It was incredible.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    james said:
    see also the aforementioned Jungle Brothers, who somehwere on that milk-carton third lp of theirs sample the part without the drums (just that first long "IIIIIIIIII").

Isn't that on "40 Below Trooper"? Or am I tripping on that?

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    james said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

Yeah, I thought about it being one of his sets (and didn't Mix Master Mike used to have a little ODB thing he did, too? Or was that later?), but this was pretty crisp, and despite its overall funk it didn't really have that telltale Cincy nasty.

I'm no help here, but I definitely remember hearing it a couple times, don't think I've ever owned it. I went through my Dibbs records (any body got any word on his health? is he doing better?), although I don't have any of the unearthed it wasn't on any of the other ones I have. But man this is annoying me, I think I remember it on something from Dibbs, but when I first saw this thread I immediately though some Mixmaster Mike or some skratch pickles shit, and still kind of think it's buried in something that direction. Maybe I'll kick off the new year going through battle records... I am really starting to appreciate these things.

Herm said:
    james said:
    Litterthugz

:comedy_gold:

Herm said:
    james said:
    Litterthugz

Ha. You know what, that show was actually kinda my Chicago record-dude genesis (as we used to say around here): That was where I first met Sketch and Meaty, who put me up on Sheer Magic, where I met a cast of thousands. Can it be that it was all so simple then?

I hear Mike2600 is mad soft now, though. All doughy on gravy fries and whatnot, super-sized off that Burlesque cheddar. The next time I see him in the parking garage I'm gonna step to him in the manner of a young Wesley Snipes: "You ain't down! You ain't bad!" We'll see whussup.

DJ_Enki said:
    james said:
    see also the aforementioned Jungle Brothers, who somehwere on that milk-carton third lp of theirs sample the part without the drums (just that first long "IIIIIIIIII").

Isn't that on "40 Below Trooper"? Or am I tripping on that?
    That sounds right. I remember poring over the cd booklet in my mom's car on the way home from Record Bar; seeing The Stooges in the sample credits had me kinda sweating.

z_illa said:
    james said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

Yeah, I thought about it being one of his sets (and didn't Mix Master Mike used to have a little ODB thing he did, too? Or was that later?), but this was pretty crisp, and despite its overall funk it didn't really have that telltale Cincy nasty.

I'm no help here, but I definitely remember hearing it a couple times, don't think I've ever owned it. I went through my Dibbs records (any body got any word on his health? is he doing better?), although I don't have any of the unearthed it wasn't on any of the other ones I have. But man this is annoying me, I think I remember it on something from Dibbs, but when I first saw this thread I immediately though some Mixmaster Mike or some skratch pickles shit, and still kind of think it's buried in something that direction. Maybe I'll kick off the new year going through battle records... I am really starting to appreciate these things.
    For what it's worth, in my initial investigation after Tom and Duke came through with the leads (thanks, dudes!), I came upon some low-level controversy on some bygone messageboard where some dudes were saying that the ingredients of Mike's ODB routine were on that Beastie Show Breaks record, but then some other dudes were pointing out that Mike apparently lifted several things off that record from Unearthed 2.

All of which is just to say that if what I'm thinking of is not the Dibbs thing (and I don't think it is), then I don't think it's the Mike thing either.

See also:

Dang, I'm pretty sure I've thought more about scratch records in the course of this thread than in the last ten years put together.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    james said:
    ingredients of Mike's ODB routine were on that Beastie Show Breaks record

Well, what you're looking for is definitely not on this. But I don't think that's what they were talking about.