Israeli Funk?

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
So, I've got a few gigs for the Palm Springs Intl. Film Fest next week and one of the parties is a reception for Israeli film makers. They asked me to give them a 2hr mix focusing on music from Israel and outside of a few records I have I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• holler at Wido over on hollerboard. He's Israeli and and his crew (Soulico) put out an Israeli funk mix a while back. They know their shit.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    day said:
    So, I've got a few gigs for the Palm Springs Intl. Film Fest next week and one of the parties is a reception for Israeli film makers. They asked me to give them a 2hr mix focusing on music from Israel and outside of a few records I have I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    i have a couple things for you. emailing now

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Churchills and Jericho Jones are 2 Israeli psych things that people rate.
    Arik Einstein was in the Churchills I think. He has his moments.

Soul Messengers are an Israeli Afro funk group, I have not heard.

Rootless Cosmos might know more.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    What Dan said, plus KAZABLAN YO!
    IIRC Soul Messengers were religious dudes from US or Europe that resettled in the Holy Land. Those albums are pretty cool. Arik Einstein has moments. I like the Israeli rock group High Windows, but it's not particularly fonkay.

• mad adventures of rabbi jacob ost

ofra haza

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    danny ben-israel- bullshit 3 1/4 LP. it's pretty psychedelic but has some funkiness going on. lot's of fuzz guitar. RAER!

• Damn, there'll be some fine poozle in the house that night.

• My hat's off to you if you can turn up two hours of worthwhile Israeli Funk.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    My hat's off to you if you can turn up two hours of worthwhile Israeli Funk.

For real. I might've bit off more than I can chew with this one. It doesn't have to be funk per se, just something beyond the norm and not overtly cornball. Figured funk would be a good place to start and work my way down from there.

Thanks everybody, it's much appreciated.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I would expect a request or two for Matisyahu. I know, not Israeli, but....

There's lots of Israeli house and techno artists out there, not sure if that's something you'd be interested in.

• trap door mix had that sick cover of Ani ve ata...Ron Eliran off double life LP

good luck Day. play a lot of klezmer!

• I was always partial to the number "Yo Ya" by Poogy (please disregard the visuals...)

Also I copped an Uzi Navon and the Acquaintances record last year and was pretty pleased. They kind-of have a Dapatone or Pure Records feel.

• was looking for a clip from the Hedva record i have (The Voice of Israel), found this instead:

Funk Sinatra Presents Israeli Groove Experience Vol 1 Pop Edition 1965 - 1983 by funksinatra

also, maybe this person could help as well: http://www.blogger.com/profile/05053499734227564250

also, this:

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I've been collecting Israeli records for years. Looking for two hours of quality Israeli funk is tilting at windmills. Folks have named a lot of the good stuff, but it's silly to suggest that you're going to turn up Churchills--no funk anyway--or a Bullshit before a gig. That's a psych grails and expensive.

Feel free to PM for more info--I'll gladly hook you up, but here's some youtubery that may help:

There are some tracks on this LP that are dacenfloor appropriate:

This a slow burner moody sort of thing. I wish it were better than it is, mostly because I paid too much for it.

This is a solid LP with a quality fusion cut for the dancefloor. Could've been a big Dingwalls track if anyone knew about it.

The best stuff remains pretty obscure, because it was never popular in Israel. And, for the most part, it's not really funky. I'd wager that the your crowd won't recognise any of these tracks. You may have luck with military bands, which people generally know, and some of those military records are really sweet. Can't find them on youtube, though.

• Would it be too weird to drop in some reggae tunes with mentions of Israel/israelites? (Desmond Dekker etc)

• Here some that could work:

Soulman used this in one of his mixes:

Jesus Christ Superstar cover:

• Probably not what you are going for, but heres some Jazz-funk:

• Dori Ben Ze'ev - "Limonada"

• SoundOutLoud said:

Also I copped an Uzi Navon and the Acquaintances record last year and was pretty pleased. They kind-of have a Dapatone or Pure Records feel.
    This is great, thanks for posting it.

bobtheorange said:
    Here some that could work:

That's fantastic! Didn't know about it, thanks!

http://numerogroup.com/dig_sub.php?st=s&ar=Sons Of The Kingdom[/quote

I enjoy this stuff, but to me it seems only nominally Israeli. You listen to it, and it sounds like it's from Chicago or Detroit. There's nothing about the sound to situate it in the Middle East. I'm not assigning a value to that; it's just that Piamenta or Grazia or Rimona Francis are on their face of the middle east.

• There is an Israeli disco comp on discogs
    Could there be anything worse than disco version of Hava Nagila

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I'm pretty sure "The Apples" is among the things you already have. If not, thery should be easy to get.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Ronan909 said:

This - all day. Definitely more of the vibe I'm looking for on this particular gig. Covers are always a sureshot.

Thank you guys again, I would have been completely fucked without your help. As it stands, I'm only partially fucked, but I think I'll be able to make it.

disco_che said:
    I'm pretty sure "The Apples" is among the things you already have. If not, thery should be easy to get.

Totally forgot about The Apples. I've always thought they were great, but their DJ kinda ruins it for me. It's a shame cause they're really good as a band. It just brings it to a screeching halt on some "let's do the timewarp again"/step into the 90's lvlz when dude starts cutting.