Slick Rick - Need Some Bad (Prod. by DJ Premier)

FunkyFlatulentFunkyFlatulent 1,106 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
:feelin_it:

A first I was like this is pretty good, but after a few listens I think this is a banger. They still got it!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Its alright.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    One of Premier's better beats of late.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    both these dudes still got it
    it's aight but gets bonus points because of the legendary status of both

• Thanks for posting the original sample to this track as well. I can't recall any other instances of Premo sampling a library record off the top of my head.

• I love how Rick rapped like a normal rapper. He didn't whisper rap or rap one line at a time or or do the stupid one word punch line garbage like 99.9 percent of all rappers (including old rappers making embarrassing comebacks do. He just did his style and that's it. Other rappers should take note.

I do wish he had more energy in his raps. But that's been a complaint of mine since he got out of jail.

• A bass line would have made this golden.

• Clean version > Dirty version.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Murdock said:
    A bass line would have made this golden.

Plus Kool Keith. For some reason I think he'd be great over that beat.

b/w

:hijack:

The cuts could be better, but that's my only crit. Loving the simple vibe.

• its fine, but i would think primo would chop that sample up more...there was definitely more to use in there and he left it sounding a little like an addams family/ muensters 2011 theme. i like it though, slick rick sounds good

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I liked it, and I liked that he didn't go to town too much on the sample, but chopped it just enough - a little like that recent Evidence tune he did (the beat for which I actually like better than this, probably b/c it sounds more like a Gang Starr beat).

Interesting to note that Ricky D seems to be hamming up the accent more than ever (Euroman vindicated-r).

• Duderonomy said:
    Murdock said:
    A bass line would have made this golden.

Plus Kool Keith. For some reason I think he'd be great over that beat.

My two favorite MCs of all time on this one track would've been amazing. Kool Keith in his Dr. Dooom persona would've fit this well.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    I liked it, and I liked that he didn't go to town too much on the sample, but chopped it just enough

Yeah, this. I've never been all that into that so-chopped-it's-minced style.

• Extra points for Primo's use of the trademark Slick Tick shakers.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

Nice beat. Anyone who complains about Euromang raps but enjoys Evidence is a fucking jizz-bucket.

• It's a cool track, and a pairing I can definitely appreciate..
    But compared to some of Premier's other productions this year (Eveidence "You", Bumpy Knuckles "Fake", Royce Da 59 "Second Place", and even that NYG'z joint that samples Esther Williams) I just don't see this one having the same longevity..
    Not hating, Premier is still one of Hip Hop's most relevant producers.. I just can't see myself spinning this on the regular past its use by date..