DJ Jonathan Toubin (please read)

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
Jonathan Toubin is an old friend of mine from back in Texas. We went to UT together, did college radio together, occasionally played guitar together and often laughed together (he's one of the funniest people I've ever met). I spent a lot of time with him 20 years ago when he threw out his back and was on bed rest at his dad's house. He made it through that ordeal, but now he's facing another, graver situation.

You can read the details here, but in a nutshell, he was asleep in a first-floor hotel room in Portland, Oregon last week when a taxi drove through the wall and ran over him. I still can't believe that this happened, but it's all too real.

The article I linked to above has details on how you can Paypal some money his way for the numerous surgeries he'll have to undergo.
He's a great, great guy with a huge heart, and he's gonna need it to get through what happened to him last week. I know a few of you on the Strut have met him and can vouch for what I say about him.

Heal up, Jonathan. You have a lot of people pulling for you.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Damn. Saw that in the paper.
    Sorry to hear he was hurt so bad.
    I hope he heals as quickly as possible.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    Jonathan Toubin is an old friend of mine from back in Texas. We went to UT together, did college radio together, occasionally played guitar together and often laughed together (he's one of the funniest people I've ever met). I spent a lot of time with him 20 years ago when he threw out his back and was on bed rest at his dad's house. He made it through that ordeal, but now he's facing another, graver situation.

You can read the details here, but in a nutshell, he was asleep in a first-floor hotel room in Portland, Oregon last week when a taxi drove through the wall and ran over him. I still can't believe that this happened, but it's all too real.

The article I linked to above has details on how you can Paypal some money his way for the numerous surgeries he'll have to undergo.

Done. You can send donations directly to ihearttoubin@gmail.com

I just met him a few months ago. He seemed like a genuinely nice dude and had tons of funny stories of traveling and general record nerdery. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. If you read the story in the Oregonian you'll see just how horrific this was. That could have been any of us. Hopefully you can find a few dollars to spare to help him.

• this has been really awful news but i i am really impressed and encouraged by people's response to this tragic situation. right away here in nyc for instance people posted profusely about it. benefit info, the paypal link above, etc.
    people have rallied so much since his accident in a very proactive, kindhearted way. the solidarity of the community as a whole, is really inspiring.

• definitely a combination of sympathy and WTF!? Tragic. But am I right to assume the Mr. Toubin will probably own this cab company when it is all said and done? I don't think it would take more than a first year attorney to make this happen.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    But am I right to assume the Mr. Toubin will probably own this cab company when it is all said and done? I don't think it would take more than a first year attorney to make this happen.

That may be true, but his medical bills will likely pile up very quickly. If he chooses to pursue litigation--and I have no idea whether or not he will--it could take a long time to get reimbursed for his immediate medical expenses.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    But am I right to assume the Mr. Toubin will probably own this cab company when it is all said and done?

No, I can think of several scenarios under which this wouldn't happen.

Also, the company may not be worth shit, or even be in debt.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    Really sad - hope his recovery goes well and that he pulls through financially.

Horseleech said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    But am I right to assume the Mr. Toubin will probably own this cab company when it is all said and done?

I coincidentally just heard about this other (sort of similar) case on the radio:

http://www.kget.com/news/local/story/Bear-Valley-man-acquitted-of-manslaughter-charges/1wWa3EegDkCr0T1YGokEzg.cspx

• ketan said:
    Really sad - hope his recovery goes well and that he pulls through financially.

Horseleech said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

I coincidentally just heard about this other (sort of similar) case on the radio:

http://www.kget.com/news/local/story/Bear-Valley-man-acquitted-of-manslaughter-charges/1wWa3EegDkCr0T1YGokEzg.cspx

The article stated "he did nothing criminally wrong." But how is this situation different than say a driver who is supposed to wear glasses when they drive and don't and get in an accident? The driver not wearing their glasses would be at fault, wouldn't they? It is against the law to not wear glasses if you have to to drive? Also, can't this family bring civil charges against the man even though he has been acquitted of criminal charges?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    definitely a combination of sympathy and WTF!? Tragic. But am I right to assume the Mr. Toubin will probably own this cab company when it is all said and done? I don't think it would take more than a first year attorney to make this happen.

Radio Cabs are driver-owned, FWIW.

• speedy recovery to the man.

but i cant quite understand, like Hookup is saying. when a driver gets in an accident, the person responsible's insurance pays to fix up the damaged car and medical expenses, usually some faked 2 months of massage or whatever. why would this be any diffferent...could that cab possibly not have been insured?

• tripledouble said:
    speedy recovery to the man.

but i cant quite understand, like Hookup is saying. when a driver gets in an accident, the person responsible's insurance pays to fix up the damaged car and medical expenses, usually some faked 2 months of massage or whatever. why would this be any diffferent...could that cab possibly not have been insured?

yeah the cabbies insurance (assuming he has it) should be liable. But insurance doesn't cover lost income, family travel expenses, etc.

But yeah -- I wish dude well. What a horrible and freak thing to happen. So bizarre.