Recommend stuff like Monguito Santamaria???Blackout

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
I'm not well-versed in Latin stuff, but I love the back and forth between Latin and pretty straight-forward soul tunes on this album. What else has this sort of alternating style to it? I'm sure there's a good bit of other Fania stuff from the period along those lines, but as I said, I'm not deep with the Latin at all, so hit me with everything from commons to raers.

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    107th Stickball Team - Saboreando
    Willie Bobo - Spanish Grease
    Paul ortiz y La Orquesta Son - Merembe

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

• Joe Bataan's early catalogue is like this. Roberto Roena's second album fits the bill too. So is the first few Lebron Brothers albums. A lot of stuff on Cotique actually, TNT Band, Johnnie Colon, Lat-teens.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    GV has this on lock. Comes round and schools me on my own records. Hairman, you should be there next time and maybe grab some spares.

• Sleeper!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    GV has this on lock. Comes round and schools me on my own records. Hairman, you should be there next time and maybe grab some spares.

Right on. I also have an idea about a Latin soul project called Berty Brobro and El Cuesta de Parque Kickball Team. Hola.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Ocho
    Pucho & The Latin Soul Brothers
    Bobby Paunetto (El Sonido Moderno)
    Mongo Santamaria
    Cafe
    Seguida

All different but good starters. Also the Texas Chicano/Latin Soul is different but there are tons of bands that play tunes in this style-check out The Latin Breed, Tortilla Factory, The Royal Jesters, La Familia, Machismo, etc