Purging the collection

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
anyone else do this? Every few months I look at all the crap I've bought and remove the crap I don't plan on listening to leaving me with streamlined, higher caliber crap.

If y'all don't do this I suggest giving it a try, it actually feels kind of releiving.

it also saves you guys from having to deal with a "1 -2,200 LP's Discuss" thread...

...for now

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I see nothing wrong with purging records here & there, just as long as it's not anything I'm gonna miss.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I say it can feel good and terrible.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah, bring on the purge.

I'm just preparing to purge for an up-coming record fair that I'm gonna sell at. Sharing a table with some hip-hop dudes so shoulf be fun.

I'm sure I'll probably just buy more crap with the money I make from selling crap!

It's a vicious cycle.

• Nah, not for me. I horde that shit up. I'm not a good judge of what I could lose. I ALWAYS crave it later. I've got records but I don't think i'm buying on the scale that you all might be. Not right now anyway. I shop carefully. My gambles, more than not, have been good. Even the shit records have a box. Stuff that is either so bad that it hurts to drop the needle on it or is so damaged it's un playable, I hold onto it. I'm sure I'll use them someday, even if it is only for skeet shooting.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm sure I'll probably just buy more crap with the money I make from selling crap!

It's a vicious cycle.

the cycle is vicious...but the addiction makes it painless

I already figure that I probably ridded about $500 worth of crap today, may just reinvest in a Stark Reality and 59 Leo Sayers

• Work it.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I already figure that I probably ridded about $500 worth of crap today, may just reinvest in a Stark Reality and 59 Leo Sayers

How did you do it?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    since i got serato, i've been selling shit like crazy. stuff i had just to play out, and doubles... outta here. I've been pumping em on the corner every sunday and i've probably clocked at least a G over the last month. brooklyn fools buy some wax. It's also a lot of fun lamping on the block and just politicing with peoples. if you live in a young area, i highly recommend doing this. Seriously liberating and real lucerative too.

• Seriously liberating and real lucerative too.

Instead of doing what he normally does Delay decided to sell records on the corner and made a very lucerative business.

I HATE THOSE BOOST MOBILE COMMERCIALS....

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    The trick is too sell off your crap, and with all the money/credit from that pile of crap you just sold, buy only one or maybe two nice shiny pieces of crap that you'll never ever ever get rid of instead of investing in a new pile of crap.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    The trick is too sell off your crap, instead of investing in a new pile of crap.

investing in a new pile of crap is what record dealers do... i suggest the same as donger... buy a couple shiny pieces and call it a day... or end up like ap, paycheque, and myself (not to mention the other dozen or so losers like us on the board)...

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Been goin thru my collection and wondering why I even have about 50% of my records. Still hard to let go

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Yes, doing this right now.... Trying to get rid of about 4 crates worth of rekkids... It wasn't as hard as I thought (Oh and I've already gotten rid of about 3 crates), although it took me longer to do so this time around! I think this is very necessary for different reasons... Mainly it keeps the cycle of vinyl goin and out in the open... And that's my

• been going through my collection burning tracks that i like as i go through, i think iam prob going to get rid of the records that i can't find one good track on

• been going through my collection burning tracks that i like as i go through, i think iam prob going to get rid of the records that i can't find one good track on

That's what I do too. If I don't want to put at least one track on a comp. CD, out it goes. Or it has to have a VERY nice cover or makes for nice diner music.

I recently dumped a huge pile at a shop. It wasn't crap at all for the most part, but - and here logic goes out the window - it was stuff I paid way to much for. Most of these could still do $15 or double that on ebay or at a fair, but I just wanted to get rid of the memory of buying these for stupid amounts. I just took whatever the guy offered. They don't contaminate my collection anymore.

• I look at weekend finds post and wonder why yall pick up at least 60% of what I see there

RALPH WAS HERE

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    The trick is too sell off your crap, and with all the money/credit from that pile of crap you just sold, buy only one or maybe two nice shiny pieces of crap that you'll never ever ever get rid of instead of investing in a new pile of crap.

Thank you Academy in Brooklyn for taking 300 Def Jam and Roc-A-Fella promos and giving me a mint Food For Thought and Earth Disciples.