What's Best About SS / What Do We Need More Of?

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
What kind of threads do y'all enjoy most?

What do the lurkers come here to read about?

Has every possible music topic already been covered?

I want to help make this a better, more active site....what will it take?

Comments

• More skirts. Less Frankie.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Rock I really like your contests. Can't seem to win one though.

I like any thread (not always music) that I learn something new from and has a lot of good info. Like Skel's post in the knife thread awhile back.

Lately I've noticed that when I first got on SS it was mainly to gain knowledge about older music/braekz. The past few years it seems like I use SS more to find out about new/contemporary music.

I also enjoy the differing opinions in the political threads.

Not sure what it would take to make it more active though.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Everything is nice now that Frankie is gone. Now we can go back to dropping knowledge with the homies.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    Everything is nice now that Frankie is gone. Now we can go back to dropping knowledge with the homies.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    And if I need to read deep insights into the human condition through the lens of music, there are blogs for that.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Well, I've been waiting patiently for the Rep your pick for 2011???s Hottest Chick thraed to drop. I'd do it myself but I don't want to step on last year's OP's toes. Maybe he's got some big designs for this year's post.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Petition to get some of the old heads back on here to regulate.

I'd like to see more threads on what people are working on creatively: beats, music, mixes, photography, art, etc, etc.

The golden era had a lot of people demoing their stuff....

Maybe I should close down the abomination known as "Music, You All."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    its time for more 90s r&b discourse and get beyond Boogie.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    RAJ said:

I'd like to see more threads on what people are working on creatively: beats, music, mixes, photography, art, etc, etc.

But if you look in that category, it's an endless list of crappy production. No offense to those who have shared stuff in there. I'm sure there's some great things that got lost among the detritus.) I think the shunning of shameless self-promoters is what has kept this part of the board alive for as long as it has. Obviously if the cosmos, days, thes', akos and martins of soulstrut share a project, no one seems to object, but encouraging people to share their little projects might backfire and turn this into a giant beat thread.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    jjfad027 said:

Lately I've noticed that when I first got on SS it was mainly to gain knowledge about older music/braekz. The past few years it seems like I use SS more to find out about new/contemporary music.

Yeah, for me the new music threads were always the best. Latched onto some cool stuff from those.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    RAJ said:

But if you look in that category, it's an endless list of crappy production. No offense to those who have shared stuff in there. I'm sure there's some great things that got lost among the detritus.) I think the shunning of shameless self-promoters is what has kept this part of the board alive for as long as it has. Obviously if the cosmos, days, thes', akos and martins of soulstrut share a project, no one seems to object, but encouraging people to share their little projects might backfire and turn this into a giant beat thread.

Fwiw, I think that possibility is worth it. I'm more lurk than contribute. I posted a mix and as a result had the opportunity to meet like minded people musically, I post a beat sketch here and there, my opinion or goofy pic, blahblah whatever...

What I really came to SStrut for was the record convo, the possibility of hearing other peoples beats and goofing off.

I'd never heard of the strut until someone on another forum told a member "post a beat or you're soft", I laughed and complimented the op who, in turn, told me 'they say it on soulstrut all the time...' and I knew I had to check it out.

So yeah, more mixes/beats/record convos...although I'm totally guilty of straying from that topic.

EDIT: Oh yeah and the photoshopped LP jackets with OG forum members on them were/are classic....and I'd like the immortal "please to not tet my gansta" letter to be a sticky in every forum topic.

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    What do the lurkers come here to read about?

Long-time lurker, infrequent poaster.

Rockadelic is one reason I keep coming back.

In general, the record knowledge, pop culture talk, mixes and forum banter are what sets The Strut apart from other music sites.

• I don't think this would revolutionize the site, but...

As I've mentioned before, the action on the sales forum has fallen off dramatically, despite being on the front page. I think part of this has to do with the fact that you can't leave comments there anymore. I think if you went back to the old format where it was it's own forum and people could comment it would help a lot.

Also, as a label owner, there isn't anywhere that I can discuss my releases, despite paying a fee to post in the sales forum. I know it's a slippery slope, and sleazebags could just spam and bounce, but there are people here doing cool projects and, as far as I can tell, no real place to mention them.

• I honestly think regular, conversating contributing members should be able to post info on thier commercial releases on the main page without feeling any way about it.

There are thousands of registered members plus lurkers on here. If a fraction of us supported each others releases it could be the difference between success and failure, what with the minimums involved in actually doing quality
    Manufacturing runs. Of course some lurkers might take advantage of the posting and it would have to regulate itself, but I would gladly like to know about other conversating members releases and if SS members got special pricing, or presale access, even better.

As anyone who makes records knows, it's so cold out here in the d.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I think we need more snacks.

• Horseleech said:
    I don't think this would revolutionize the site, but...

As I've mentioned before, the action on the sales forum has fallen off dramatically, despite being on the front page. I think part of this has to do with the fact that you can't leave comments there anymore. I think if you went back to the old format where it was it's own forum and people could comment it would help a lot.

yeah cosine on that. i never understood why we couldnt comment on sales anymore. made it more fun, informative and of course interactive. in the rare case that someone shits on your sale with a post, it could be deleted by moderators

i always liked the "ish" section, not sure what happened to that.

weekend finds remains one of the best places to actually learn about records and music you werent up on

i actually like the current events/political discussions on the strut

Horseleech said:

The old method was just a pre-canned forum where people would paypal me and I had to manually grant and expire privileges. It was an administrative nightmare.

I tried to make the new section as seamless within the site as possible (front page / sidebar/ etc, etc.)

One of the biggest complaints I got from paying users was that I had allowed comments... so-and-so chiming in that his shit sucks, yada, yada, yada. I had to moderate that section like crazy.

Classifieds have and always will be a place where people can get something for financially supporting the site (server bills are around $150/month). And it is greatly appreciated.

Also, as a label owner, there isn't anywhere that I can discuss my releases, despite paying a fee to post in the sales forum. I know it's a slippery slope, and sleazebags could just spam and bounce, but there are people here doing cool projects and, as far as I can tell, no real place to mention them.

Yeah... this has always been a slippery slope. You let one dude do it and Timmy Digalot Records will be in full force as well. I turn a blind eye to some threads.... but honestly, the ad revenue is what fuels this place. It'd be nice if someone bought a banner or placed a classified ad. Is that too capitalistic of me?

• I bought one cap'n. Saba's a team player.

4YearGraduate said:
    I honestly think regular, conversating contributing members should be able to post info on thier commercial releases on the main page without feeling any way about it.

I can understand this and for vets of the board I turn a blind eye to most threads. But it has to be a two way street. It could turn into shameless self promo central aka Myspace for Diggers.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    I bought one cap'n. Saba's a team player.

That was great. You should put that back up for old times' sake.

• That was after my third bannishment.

Good times.

• I'm a long time lurker and I always like it when folks talk about these things:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Horseleech said:

I for one, would welcome posts about your new releases in the main forum.
    I don't think Raj would mind.

Sleazebags are sure to be called or deleted.

Martin said:
    . also i think a separate music forum would GREAT.

Tried that.... Click if you dare

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Raj, re: the sales forum, poasting comments. Is there any way that the thread starter (the seller paying for the poast) could moderate the individual thread, allow comments that are useful/funny/whatever, and delete anything they don't find constructive (even polite criticism)?
    That way if somebody did want to ask a question about a record, it would be visible for other people to see (like ebay Q&As;).

• RAJ said:

Kill it,

it would help get some music/ soul back into the SS. I don't believe there should be a qhettoized "music forum". The music threads are a key ingredient that need to mix with the whole and help keep it vibrant.

I come to SS for the music, that's pretty much it. I've learnt alot from different folk on here who have deep knowledge that is often divergent from my own.

nice re-design Raj

WRT the Classifieds it would be good be able to post comments: on Waxi there seems to be 0 hate and it creates buzz

I added the ability to have comments in the Classifieds section. We'll see how this goes.

:zooted:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Fuck yall beats

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I think we need more snacks.

Cosign...Nickel Beer Night might go over well too.