The NBA Break Thread (TENTATIVE DEAL REACHED)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
Now resorting to watching Sebastian Telfair getting balled up by WNBA players.

Comments

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    I've been wishing that the whole labor deal would cancel two seasons, with a third being played with replacement players and union scabs. Let the good players play in Europe or China and have an NBA with no labor union and a few teams contracted just because the owners can't manage anything and don't even try to make money or break even.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    NBA

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Looks like Dec. 25 is the opener.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    yuichi said:
    Looks like Dec. 25 is the opener.

There is a little extra satisfaction knowing that Dirk and the Mavs will raise their Championship Banner on Xmas national TV with Lebron and his crew in the house.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    At least my Zards won't lose 60 games this year.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:

you sure?.....

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    from the early reports I'm reading the players basically caved in. They took a $300 mil reduction in salaries, $3 bil over the length of the contract, and reduced their share of total revenues to perhaps 49%. Just as important, the mid level teams which usually are at the salary cap have a bunch more penalties to go over it, which means they have to pull off big deals to make any improvements. Remember the cause of the lock out to begin with was the small market teams complaining about losing money, while the big market teams could go over the salary cap, pay the luxury tax and put out more competitive teams, because they had more funds. Looks like the owners circled around Stern and went after the players successfully without addressing the root cause of the problems. Great business acumen going on here.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i was hoping the players would hold out and we miss a season.

So now we get the same shit down the line when future players dont like their CBA?

At least 2K12 will now get the current rookies added to the roster along with updates.

Fuck a 50 game season.

66 games isnt that bad. im cool with 70, but anything lower than 60 makes me cringe.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I was reading the opposite -- that, while the players made more concessions that the owners, the agreement was more favorable toward the players than feared, and that their moves to decertify the union helped to tip the owners' hand. I guess, overall, no matter what happened, the owners got A LOT more than what they had in the previous labor agreement.

I am sorta hoping Eddy Curry has been working his butt off during the lockout and the resurgent Curry joins the HEAT, making their evil sacrament complete.

There's a lot of talk that my Bulls will be a buyer of one of these amnesty cuts dudes, maybe letting Keith Bogans walk. Can't say that I'd be mad at that.

The owners got big concessions. The richest teams can still spent as much as they want and go over the salary cap, they won't have to pay midlevel players as much as before, they get to cut one player and won't have to pay their salary, and now they get a majority of the revenue from the NBA that is split with the players. What did the players get? They won't have to lose another months paycheck. That's about it.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    thrope said:
    Bon Vivant said:

you sure?.....

Now that you mention it....

• Saba's old boss is on the case.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-11-23/sports/30432269_1_lockout-hourly-billing-david-boies

It's funny that, in an industry where the players are being paid hundreds of millions, this article complains about lawyer fees from some of the best litigators in the country topping a $1000/hr.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    This whole affair just highlighted to both owners and players that the NBA isn't as indispensable as they may have believed. Remember the outcry when we started missing games? Neither do I. I was watching football.

Unlike many sports when there's no MBA there's still basketball. NCAA.

motown67 said:
    . NCAA.

yuck

batmon said:
    motown67 said:
    . NCAA.

yuck

Have you always felt this way?

Those old Louie C St. John's and Tark UNLV teams were more entertaining to me than the NBA at the time.

I understand your sentiment circa 2011 for sure.

Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    motown67 said:
    . NCAA.

yuck

Have you always felt this way?

Those old Louie C St. John's and Tark UNLV teams were more entertaining to me than the NBA at the time.

I understand your sentiment circa 2011 for sure.

I watched Never Nervous Pervos Ellison bitd.
    JR Reid
    David Robinson at Navy.
    The O'Bannon Brother at ULCA
    Big Nasty at Arkansaw
    Big Dog at Perdue
    Kenny Anderson at Georgia Tech

I lost interest by the time the high schoolers were skipping the college industry. Around the 90s sometime.

I cant watch dudes pass twenty times on the perimeter or see goofball paint themselves. It turns my stomach.

No brilliant post play either. Whatever.

There are different types of basketball and if you like that version - do u.

I agree.....the H.S. jump and one and done has cheapened the College game to the point of disinterest.

March Madness is always fun though

Most college ball I don't like. Coaches are control freaks, passing around and around and around because they have no shot or the coach tells them to as a form of defense is boring as hell. That being said, there are always a couple teams and games that are consistently entertaining. North Carolina vs UNLV and Duke vs Michigan were two games I watched during Thanksgiving break that were thoroughly entertaining.