Fat Joe "It's 2011. If you're gay, rep your set."

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
Like I said, I never saw this coming, especially from him. But I gotta tell you, fucking Fat Joe. Respect levels through the motherfucking roof.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Can't see the clip, but I was thinking about this the other day. As far as the older guys go, I wonder if 1- they realize the rap demographic has changed considerably and why alienate potential fans/sales? 2- as they grow older, so do the people around them. You wake up one day to find you have out and proud gay godkids, nieces and nephews. If you have a half a head and some of a heart you must realize, this is it. This is reality. Either I get with it or lose out on a lot of life.

• Cosmo said:
    Like I said, I never saw this coming, especially from him. But I gotta tell you, fucking Fat Joe. Respect levels through the motherfucking roof.

The gay mafia stuff is a little tin-foil-hat sounding, but it's a great start.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Awesome. This does beg the question though???is there a gay set hand gesture with which teh gays can effectively rep? Enquring minds, bros.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I'm trying to remember another rapper talking so sensibly about this topic. I've heard a lot of people kinda half-step, like "yeah do you, but stay away from me, I am NOT down with that.."

This has a different vibe to it, and it's pretty refreshing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Now can we get an A-Level Hip Hop star to speak out.

Not hattin on Joe just sayin.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    this is a good thing

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I just watched this a second ago...good on ya, Fat Joe. You get a lot of props for that.

• Did any of you guys listen to Murs' "Animal Style" song I posted in the Rap You're Liking thread? Incredible, incredible song. Heartbreaking too. Kinda disappointed none of you commented on it, to be honest.

• batmon said:

I wonder who it will be??????. Jay? Kanye? Who's got the power?

One A-level guy speaking out isn't going to do it. The tide is already turning in the right direction. The more people talk about it in a realistic and positive manner, the more progress is made, the difference will be felt.
    The fact that the cats coming up aren't running from it is a good sign imo.

• DB_Cooper said:
    Awesome. This does beg the question though???is there a gay set hand gesture with which teh gays can effectively rep? Enquring minds, bros.

Both hands above head, wave them shits left to right like you would to bad techno at the Ascension Party on Fire Island*...

That's as close as we come, I think.

*Shirt off a must for full effect.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    batmon said:

Snap?

bassie said:
    One A-level guy speaking out isn't going to do it. The tide is already turning in the right direction. The more people talk about it in a realistic and positive manner, the more progress is made, the difference will be felt.

An A-Level celebrity endorsement, I feel, is way more influential than Fat Joe & Mr. Cee in 2012.

batmon said:
    bassie said:

An A-Level celebrity endorsement, I feel, is way more influential than Fat Joe & Mr. Cee in 2012.

And I'm saying it takes more than a couple of people here and there to give gay the okay. It doesn't need endorsement (not having seen the Fat Joe clip); people need to come to terms with reality with an overall cultural change.

edit - given the gay rumours swirling around Jay-Z back then and around a drama-hound like Kanye now - I am not sure if those two would really make that much of an impact?

• bassie said:
    It doesn't need endorsement; people need to come to terms with reality with an overall cultural change.

^this x 1000000

• Let 'em know Joe! (What you mean they don't know?!)

bassie said:
    batmon said:
    bassie said:

And I'm saying it takes more than a couple of people here and there to give gay the okay. It doesn't need endorsement (not having seen the Fat Joe clip); people need to come to terms with reality with an overall cultural change.

Overall cultural changes can be altered and or catalyzed by influential artists.

How important was Queen Latifah to women in Hip Hop?
    The Beastie Boys to the White audiences. Or Run DMC endorsing The Beastie Boys?
    The Beastie's endorsing Public Enemy?
    Dr. Dre w/ Eminem?

Cache helps alot.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    He might have made good with the gay community, but there's still loads of crack babies out there who deserve an apology from tha fat gangsta.

And to all the dweebs who got their lunch money taken in the eighties: rep your shit! Soft people got rights too!

bassie said:
    batmon said:
    bassie said:

edit - given the gay rumours swirling around Jay-Z back then and around a drama-hound like Kanye now - I am not sure if those two would really make that much of an impact?

If Jay-Z came out a said he was Gay, that wouldnt have much of an impact?

Jay-Z an Kanye register on the Gaydar way differently.

How many goofballs made a fuss over Weezy and Baby kissing?

batmon said:
    bassie said:
    batmon said:
    bassie said:

Overall cultural changes can be altered and or catalyzed by influential artists.

Dr. Dre w/ Eminem?

Cache helps alot.

I hear you but Queen Latifah's time in the sun did not do anything for long-term cultural change for women in rap. Look at 2011. How we doing?

And with all due respect - white people do not need anyone's help in getting a foothold or in into any arena. It was a nice co-sign, but The Beastie Boys didn't need anyone's help.

I am not sure how Em relates as that was not endorsement but an actual working relationship.

I just don't see how any of the above brought about the type of change we are talking about here.

batmon said:
    bassie said:
    batmon said:

If Jay-Z came out a said he was Gay, that wouldnt have much of an impact?

Coming out is way different than endorsement.

• Out of interest, for those of the homophobic persuasion here, which rapper would need to endorse gayness in order for you to change your views...?

bassie said:
    batmon said:
    bassie said:
    batmon said:
    bassie said:

Dr. Dre w/ Eminem?

Cache helps alot.

I hear you but Queen Latifah's time in the sun did not do anything for long-term cultural change for women in rap. Look at 2011. How we doing?

And with all due respect - white people do not need anyone's help in getting a foothold or in into any arena. It was a nice co-sign, but The Beastie Boys didn't need anyone's help.

I am not sure how Em relates as that was not endorsement but an actual working relationship.

I just don't see how any of the above brought about the type of change we are talking about here.

If your looking for gay discrimination to STOP in communities where Hip Hop is usually created, then thats a bigger game than the music community to hold responsible.

Outwardly Gay Hip Hop being accepted by those discriminating communities , I think , would need a catalyst vs. landing on our lap and being accepted without any bumps.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Coming out would be much better than an endorsement.
    Needs to happen in hip hop. Needs to happen in pro sports. Needs to happen in college sports.

If the military can do it...

batmon said:

Outwardly Gay Hip Hop, I think , would need a catalyst vs. landing on our lap and being accepted without any bumps.

It's not one or the other, that is my whole point....and there is no such thing as change without any bumps.

bassie said:
    batmon said:

Outwardly Gay Hip Hop, I think , would need a catalyst vs. landing on our lap and being accepted without any bumps.

It's not one or the other, that is my whole point....and there is no such thing as change without any bumps.

No doubt. I dont think Fat Joe means much.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    bassie said:

It didnt. Societal change is much bigger than any rap act from the nineties.

Outwardly gay hip hop is huge now. 90's rappers are paying lip service because theyre scared their wallets will get hurt - they all saw what happened to Buju and Beenie. Fat Joe openly states his fear of gay control over the industry in that clip.

neil_something said:
    Out of interest, for those of the homophobic persuasion here, which rapper would need to endorse gayness in order for you to change your views...?

Or what impact did Omar have on people's views - realized or not?

I can't post it because of work blocks, but look at the video for The Internet's "Cocaine". That's Odd Future's butch producer sucking face with the femme.

Check ASAP Rocky's interview on his own homophobia.

This is the kind of little but significant type shit I am really hoping will make a difference in the long run.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    batmon said:

Do Wayne and Birdman count? Because...you know....

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    "What happened to Buju and Beenie" happened because they were making records that were openly calling for attacks on gay people, and they were fostering a climate whereby people felt validated in attacking and in some cases murdering gay people.

I'm at a loss to where this massive gay market for hip-hop is. Most of the gay people I know couldn't give a fuck about hip-hop or dancehall - they just don't want to be terrorised by morons who are getting their prejudices pandered to by some idiot rapper or deejay.

"Gay control"? "Outwardly gay hip-hop"?