CRATES?

Special_EdSpecial_Ed 315 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Where'd you all come-up on your crates? I'm in the market for some.... I see that OfficeDepot has some, but i've also heard you can scoop up some real nice ones in the back of your local Safeway. So what's up, what's the story with your come-ups?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Where'd you all come-up on your crates? I'm in the market for some.... I see that OfficeDepot has some, but i've also heard you can scoop up some real nice ones in the back of your local Safeway.

So what's up, what's the story with your come-ups?

theres this Philipino market by my spot called Seafood City, for some reason they've gone past the regular milk crates and got there long purple crates that measure 12 3/4 x 24. Holds about 150 LP's or so. so far I've pulled 4 of therse crates and I usually use them when I sell at recford shows.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Most of the ones you find in the back of magazines don't hold up records, but you have to look at the crates themselves. They are good for magazines, though. I had loads of crates when I lived a block or two away from the supermarket, but just kept the one. The ones at department stores are thin, I think if they made them as thick as the milk crates it would be much better, but of course more pricey.

Let's hear it for Darigold crates.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    i've always used these crates from the container store. they are kind of pricey for crates but they stack nicely.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=71232&PRODID=65121

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I used to truck art around town,so we would stop @ a supermarket and just cop whatever we wanted. I would be really picky w/ my color choices though.

"ST8 jackin"

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    i've always used these crates from the container store. they are kind of pricey for crates but they stack nicely.

Yup these are the only guys (in the US as far as I know) that still make the old school LP crates.
    Man, I remember in the late 80's when they were trying to unload them at all the stores when CD's started selling. Aisles of them at Caldor's for pennies.

• These are dope for the house. They look cool but not good for moving records.

• Where'd you all come-up on your crates? I'm in the market for some.... I see that OfficeDepot has some, but i've also heard you can scoop up some real nice ones in the back of your local Safeway.

So what's up, what's the story with your come-ups?

anybody in la need some crates? i'm going to be getting rid of some. most will need a scrubbing as i haven't used them yet. but i've got about 10 or 15 to get rid of.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    check IKEA kids' section. they have stackable storage boxes (hard plastic, handles, pretty colours) that are affordable and fit about 85 records.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

• reskresk 391 Posts
    i got like 8 or 10 black or green publix crates (infamously being famous for being perfect for records, FLA heads now the deal) that im trying to trash......im sure shipping would not make it worth it though

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    alot of the crates that supermarkets and food wholesellers use now are too small to hold records, i heard they did this for the reason that people would steal the crates to put records in, any truth to this?

i got crates from my dad, i dont know where the fuck he got them, but he had like a basement full just to hold shit, the crates are probably 20 years old, ugly light blue, but they get the job done...

target has crates that fit records, probably two or three bucks and in all sorts of colors

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

looks nice but TEN BUCKS PER??? plus shipping... buy several and you could've gotten a decent shelf with the same footprint and much easier access to the LPs...

target and other dept stores have cheap crates that fit records but you can't stack them...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

target and other dept stores have cheap crates that fit records but you can't stack them...

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=37603

you will have to stack them long-ways though...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    you will have to stack them long-ways though...

yeah but you can't stack them high or they'll sag and dump their contents... still, I have two rows going along the bottom of a closet...

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

I have a few of these, their main detraction other than price is also a selling point to some (stackability). They are great for storage since they stack, but flipping through records is more difficult because they are recessed, this can get annoying in da club.

On the free tip I think the best crates are postal mail crates, they are super durable and easy to flip through, they hold between 60 and 80 records.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I used to truck art around town,so we would stop @ a supermarket and just cop whatever we wanted. I would be really picky w/ my color choices though.

"ST8 jackin"

• i've always used these crates from the container store. they are kind of pricey for crates but they stack nicely.

I have a few of these, their main detraction other than price is also a selling point to some (stackability). They are great for storage since they stack, but flipping through records is more difficult because they are recessed, this can get annoying in da club.

On the free tip I think the best crates are postal mail crates, they are super durable and easy to flip through, they hold between 60 and 80 records.

personally i hate those crates. they are good for stacking yes but over time the handles break from the weight of the records from lifting and moving them around.
    shelves is the way to go IMO.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

looks nice but TEN BUCKS PER??? plus shipping... buy several and you could've gotten a decent shelf with the same footprint and much easier access to the LPs...

I agree, at $10 each you are better off getting an Expedit from Ikea. That is what I ended up doing. It was a pain everytime I needed something from the crates that were on the bottom of the stack. Now I just keep all of my empty crates in my attic for bringing records to gigs or for hauling away purchased record collections.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Do most of ya'll dudes have the 4x4 or 5x5 Expedit?

I'm about to cop one this week...guess it all depends on the amount of shit you got and how much space you have to work with, but I'm just curious...

Do most of ya'll dudes have the 4x4 or 5x5 Expedit?

I've got a 5x5 only because if I had gone with a 4x4 there wouldn't have been much room to grow into.

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts
    i got like 8 or 10 black or green publix crates (infamously being famous for being perfect for records, GEORGIA heads now the deal)

apple crates
    apple crates
    apple crates
    apple crates
    apple crates
    apple crates
    apple crates
    apple crates