Anyone planning to get a Kindle Fire? Thoughts?

2»

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I didn't end up buying a fire but got a paperwyte a little while ago. love it. still don't like buying e-books over real books but I get so much more reading done

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Grandfather said:
    get the new Nexus 7
    Its great and that screen is fantastic

I want a 10 inch one though.

*pasue*

I think almost all 10" tablets are doodoo compared to an iPad but there is a new version of the Nexus 10 coming out later this year if you want to wait.

I still recommend the nexus 7 though, its pretty rad.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I just cant stand the apple OS.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Grandfather said:

I think almost all 10" tablets are doodoo compared to an iPad but there is a new version of the Nexus 10 coming out later this year if you want to wait.

I think it's pretty hard to argue with this, and I say that as someone who likes Android phones.

What are you planning to use the tablet for, rootless?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Unherd said:
    Grandfather said:

I think it's pretty hard to argue with this, and I say that as someone who likes Android phones.

What are you planning to use the tablet for, rootless?

I'm taking a trip and wanna read e-books b/w watch movies.

I know both can be done on a Kindle Fire, but for another $200 I can have a fully-functioning PC, right?

Seems like the right move.

Maybe I'm wrong.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    If you want a fully-functioning PC, the MS Surface would be the one to get, it's the only one that size with a full desktop OS. We put one through its paces at my workplace, and it's quite good... but you will have some tradeoff, mainly that it's noticeably heavier than a mobile OS-based tablet. The most impressive thing may have been the cover/keyboard, which felt much sturdier than I expected, and was surprisingly comfortable to type on.

If it's only for books and movies, maybe that's not what you want. I'd say go try out a few and see what feels most comfortable to use, maybe talk to a few people whose usage pattern is similar to yours.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    lol surface

• I got a kindle for my birthday a couple years ago and the strange thing is I read more than ever, just not on the kindle. It's great for living overseas/traveling, like an ipod or computer is for storing music. No one wants to lug around 40 records in their suitcase, nor 40 books. But most of the books I read are not on kindle so... I use it mainly as a dictionary now.

• So laugh all you want...but I ended up copping this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8201363&tab=7&SRCCODE=WEBLET101SATSFY&cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET101SATSFY-_-Satisfy&utm_source=EML&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=WEBLET101SATSFY

With a $50 rebate it came to 40 bucks, delivered.

the screen is shit, but it's exactly what I wanted.