Participation in a collective Documentary, Jamaican music related

AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
My friend Justine Henzell, daughter of the late Perry Henzell who directed The Harder They Come, is producing a documentary in celebration of Jamaica's upcoming 50th anniversary of gaining independence. It will be directed by the dude who made Into the Void with music by Sly and Robbie. It's going to be edited with submitted footage from all over the world with a focus on the far reach across the globe of the Jamaican cultural influence. Right now they are receiving submissions and their specs are very broad. She asked me to post it here and spread the word to collect submissions. More detail about what they are collecting in this BBC spot interview with her:

The OnePeople segment starts at 12:10

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00ldwzl/Click_01_11_2011/

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Can I share this on Facebook? I know a grip of people here in Berlin who would love the chance to participate.

• DocMcCoy said:
    Can I share this on Facebook? I know a grip of people here in Berlin who would love the chance to participate.

Ya of course please do!

• Directed by Gaspar Noe? That's a crazy choice!

• barjesus said:
    Directed by Gaspar Noe? That's a crazy choice!

No, Gaspar Noe I think did Enter the Void, this dude directed Touching the Void. And for some reason I wrote Into the Void because I love Black Sabbath so damn much I guess. Oh so confusing, many 'Voids'!

Ya it's Kevin McDonald directing. From Touching the Void.

• how bout footage of me smokin spliffs and talking in thick west philly patois with my shirt off? seen?

• occupy west philly

Oh I forgot to mention one other important thing, music/remix re-edit related:

To celebrate Jamaica???s 50th anniversary in 2012 the historic user-generated documentary OnePeople is being created. OnePeople will invite people from across the globe to contribute video footage conveying their ideas about what it means to be Jamaican. Why are Jamaicans so special, and how did that come to be? These are the questions the documentary seeks to answer from multiple perspectives.

But the musical score is integral to telling the story as well and will also be a collaborative project. An original drum and bass track has been donated by the multi Grammy award winning ???Riddim Twins??? Sly Dunbar & Robbie Shakespeare and is available for free download from the OnePeopleDocumentary.com website. This is the first time ever that a Sly & Robbie track has been available for free and legal download and is the legendary duo???s 50th birthday present to Jamaica.

The world is invited to download that track and create something new with it specifically for the OnePeople project. Contributors are encouraged to add vocals and instruments, a whole bass section or choir if they wish. Rap on it, sing a song, recite a poem on top of the track. As long as the musical composition and lyrics are the sole creation of the contributor it can be submitted by uploading the audio to the project website.

Once submitted the tracks will be carefully reviewed and tracks selected to serve as the score to the OnePeople documentary. OnePeople has enlisted renowned music producers Jeremy Harding and Michael ???Mikie??? Bennett as the musical consultants to the project.

Contributors can be a part of the OnePeople project from wherever they are in the world simply by uploading their video footage and audio tracks to the onepeopledocumentary.com website. The deadline for submissions is January 6, 2012.

• tony, beat it would ya

• yes i
    :down:

OK, so according to the onepeopledocumentary.com website, the deadline for video submissions is this Friday (Nov. 4th). Pity, because I can think of at least two people over here that'd have a really interesting story if I had sufficient time and opportunity to get them in front of a camera.

• no it's Jan 6th 2012 that must be an error!

Actually, I got it wrong - Nov 6th is the closing date for submissions. Right there on the front page. Shame.

Jan 6th 2012 must be the closing date for music submissions.

• DocMcCoy said:
    Actually, I got it wrong - Nov 6th is the closing date for submissions. Right there on the front page. Shame.

No man, I will tell you again that is an error, soon to be fixed on the site. The deadline IS Jan 6th, not Nov 6th. Promise. To quote Justine "our website programmers havent caught up us!! it is Jan 6th"
    So yes you do have ample time.

AKallDay said:
    DocMcCoy said:

No man, I will tell you again that is an error, soon to be fixed on the site. The deadline IS Jan 6th, not Nov 6th. Promise. To quote Justine "our website programmers havent caught up us!! it is Jan 6th"
    So yes you do have ample time.

OK, excellent news. I'll get on it.