Web Dudes (Advice Related)

highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
I am interested in creating a database of records in a specific niche, but I would like to publish it on the web some point in the future possibly allowing for users to to add records. (Similar to a small scale discogs.com)

What kind of database should I use to get things started on a personal side that can be easily adapted to web use later?

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Short answer: anything but Filemaker Pro
    Shorter answer: Excel

However, if you have a website hosted somewhere already, it would be really easy to set up a MySQL database that you can log into, edit the structure of, and add records one at a time. Then further down the line when you are ready to make it public, just get a simple web interface built that displays the contents on your website.

• Thanks.

Ok, I figured there would be some way to export from Excel to anything I need in the future, but I wanted to make sure (I actually thought filemaker might be a more professional option so I'm glad you cleared that up).

So in the future, I am basically going to be converting an Excel spreadsheet into a MySQL database, right?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    The easiest way I've found to create and manage a MySQL database is with PHPMyAdmin. Most web hosts have it pre-installed.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Yep, I should have clarified, by log in I mean use PHPMyAdmin as Snagglepus says. You don't need to know any programming, just decide the name of the fields and what order you want them in.

If it's going to be a large database, you are better off getting a cheap web host and starting it off in MySQL. It will also take care of backing up for you.

SportCasual said:

If it's going to be a large database, you are better off getting a cheap web host and starting it off in MySQL. It will also take care of backing up for you.

If you happen to be a Mac user, Apache web server comes pre-installed in OS X (and I'm sure it isn't difficult to install on Windows). So you can build and populate a MySQL database (with PHPMyAdmin) on your home computer. And exporting/importing is a snap with PHPMyAdmin. So copying your database from your home server to a live server is incredibly simple.

Though, as SportCasual said, you might as well just start with a web host right off the bat.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

• Snagglepus said:
    SportCasual said:

If you happen to be a Mac user, Apache web server comes pre-installed in OS X (and I'm sure it isn't difficult to install on Windows). So you can build and populate a MySQL database (with PHPMyAdmin) on your home computer. And exporting/importing is a snap with PHPMyAdmin. So copying your database from your home server to a live server is incredibly simple.

Though, as SportCasual said, you might as well just start with a web host right off the bat.

I do use a mac, so this seems like it might be the best bet for me.

highscheme said:
    Snagglepus said:
    SportCasual said:

I do use a mac, so this seems like it might be the best bet for me.

This looks like a decent tutorial for installing PHPMyAdmin.

In case you aren't familiar with using your local web server ... any PHP based website (which includes PHPMyAdmin ... or a local installation of, for example, Wordpress) has to be opened via the web server. PHP is a server-side language which can't be interpreted directly by your browser. So you can't just double-click on "index.php" and have your browser open it.
    If you open System Preferences and then open Sharing, you'll see a note that says "Computers on your local network can access your computer at ...". You'll probably see "yourusername.local". So, to open PHPMyAdmin, which might end up in a folder named "pma" in the "yourusername" user folder, you'd have to type this into your browser: http://yourusername.local/~yourusername/pma/

I'd suggest reading through a few tutorials. Once this is all set up, it's pretty easy to run. But you can fall down the Unix/Terminal rabbit hole a bit if you run into any problems.

• Thanks for the links and advice. Knew you guys would know how to help.