St. Louis Strut

MiddleDeanMiddleDean 68 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
Planning a trip to St. Louis, was wondering about any must see spots.
Record Spots, eats, & such
Grateful for the tips. Tim

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Been a minute since I've been there, but this spot is the Mott's if your a

http://www.saucecafe.com/tonys/menu.html
    Banging Italian.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    eats = the hill for italian, any chinese carry out for a "st paul sandwich"

digs - euclid in webster groves & vintage vinyl in the loop

forest park is amazing, art museum etc housed in buildings constructed for the worlds fair,
    the university city loop, the west end district, soulard market area, chippawa & cherockee street district

i always hated the landing, maybe it has improved in the last 30 years,
    northside where i lived was/is like a bombed out war zone
    richie riches, big box stores & speed trap hamlets occupy the western side of the city/county

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    When I was there I went for a ride in a front load washing machine to the top of an arch.

LaserWolf said:
    When I was there I went for a ride in a front load washing machine to the top of an arch.

on a windy day it sways back & forth, unsettling

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    coffinjoe said:
    LaserWolf said:

Many years ago I was driving through St Louis on a highway and had to pull over under a bridge because it was raining so hard my wipers couldn't keep up. I got out to take a leak and was looking at the arch illuminated at night, then it was struck by lightning and went dark. And then the bridge I was under was struck by lightning and I was almost knocked over backwards.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    coffinjoe said:
    LaserWolf said:

yeah man! i went up that thing and was schitting myself. the grinding mechanical noises it makes are pretty scary too.

• So does this contraption still exist?
    CoffinJoe Thanks for the Tips.

Is there a decent swap meet on Saturdays?

What Up with East St. Louis????

Grateful. Tim

• MiddleDean said:
    So does this contraption still exist?

Yes. You can still pay to ride up to the top of the Arch and it's well worth it.

Is there a decent swap meet on Saturdays?

There's a bi-monthly record fair which is always great (at least it was when I was living in St Louis up through 2003)

Here's the Facebook event page for the next one:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Louis-Record-Show/327615077857

What Up with East St. Louis????

http://www.bnd.com/2011/10/19/1907379/video-man-beaten-as-east-st-louis.html

nice to see that east st louis hasn't changed much over the years

if you must have the east st lou experience, i recommend going to collinsville or edwardsville il,
    close enough to feel you have driven to east st louis
    but
    without the being handcuffed by police & beaten by off duty police working security at the hootchie club

• If you are a 45 guy, let me suggest Record Exchange. There is an upstairs room that is filled with 45s. I hit it once a year and always pull stacks of 20-50 dollar 45s for 3 or 4 bucks apiece.

Also, I'm a fan of the City Museum downtown. It is sort of geared towards kids, but it is a lot of fun...lots of crazy shit in there.

Cosign on the Hill...I would argue it's Italian eats are as good or better than spots in Chicago or NYC.

Always have wanted to hit that German restaurant that looks like a windmill. Any good?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Record Exchange.

^^^This^^^

The owner is an old friend from Dallas and a great guy.

• coffinjoe said:
    nice to see that east st louis hasn't changed much over the years

if you must have the east st lou experience, i recommend going to collinsville or edwardsville il,
    close enough to feel you have driven to east st louis
    but
    without the being handcuffed by police & beaten by off duty police working security at the hootchie club

Collinsville and Edwardsville are just stripmall towns. Nothing to see there but Arby's and places to get your nails did.

Honestly, your best bet for an almost-East St Louis experience is a trip to the strip clubs in Brooklyn IL.

Also, major on the Record Exchange on Hampton Ave! I pulled some of the better records in my collection from there. Love that store.

• 20 year St.Louis resident.Worked at both Vintage Vinyl and for Jean at Record Exchange. Give yourself several hours if you want to dig at the latter.The 12"s alone will take a long time but its worth it. Pulled Alexander Robotnik last week...and every 12" is 2 bucks.Vintage Vinyl is worth it for the location alone..the Loop is a very popular tourist destination..as a resident i loath going there for that reason.It is a tourist trap.There are also 2 newer record shops on Cherokee St. in South City. Apop & Phonomode.They are much smaller but you may find them worthwhile.Euclid Records is what it is.Joe knows what he has and the prices reflect that..ergo it is the priciest spot in town, but you can find some great deals once in a while.If you want to really dig and get dirty,Frank Moore has a storage space on Cherokee as well..i can give you his number if you want. Also,if Jason (aka Funkyou!) is in town, he may be open to you going by his warehouse,though he is often travelling..but as you can imagine it is perhaps the greatest digging experience you can think of..also super nice and humble guy..have had the pleasure of being good friends with him for over 10 years.
    If you have any more questions i will do my best to help out.

F16

• The_Hook_Up said:

Also, I'm a fan of the City Museum downtown. It is sort of geared towards kids, but it is a lot of fun...lots of crazy shit in there.

i just read this guys obit a couple weeks back...sounded like a one of a kind genius madman(in the best way). he was making some type of new theme park called Cement World? or something along those lines that sounded completely dangerous and awesome

• Fountain 16 , I think I PMd you but have not heard a response.
    Please to Halp a brother out with the contacts info.
    Very grateful
    Tim

• Heads up though [for me] Vintage Vinyl was totally guilty of the "flip*flip*flip*flip*SEALED BLACK KNIGHT- fuck, reissue" game.

Tom Ray is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.