Public Domain and Sample-Based Hip Hop in the Future

edited October 2011 in Strut Central
When sample-ripe recordings of the 60s and 70s enter public domain, along with the associated intellectual property, do you think we will see a resurgence of sample based hip hop in the mainstream market? If my understanding of copyright law is correct, this would start happening sometime around 2040 - 2050 I guess? Perhaps it is foolish to even try to make predictions about any aspect of the world that far in the future, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

  Comments


  • staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    HomeChoppingNetwork said:
    it is foolish to even try to make predictions about any aspect of the world that far in the future

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Hip Hop is not going to return to 1990.

  • cloud9cloud9 49 Posts
    I suspect we will be far beyond that point (in production methods) but music will be far shittier I believe. People (90% of people) probably won't even care about music in 2040-2050 that is... if we make it past the year 2012.

  • ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Hip hop is soft for being afraid to get sued, and for changing course in the face of actual lawsuits.

  • LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    As long as there is a Disney corp or an Irving Berlin heir nothing will ever enter the public domain.

  • arXarX 12 Posts
    cloud9 said:
    ... if we make it past the year 2012.

  • DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    You sure that shit is going to enter the public domain?

    I mean, they are already working towards taking things out of the public domain.

    http://www.scpr.org/news/2011/10/05/29269/us-supreme-court-hears-arguments-copyright-case/

  • I just don't think that's how creativity or discovery works. I don't see people sampling works that are in the public domain now.

  • The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    CinisterCee said:
    I just don't think that's how creativity or discovery works. I don't see people sampling works that are in the public domain now.


  • I reckon it will be 2070 before "Drag Rap" is public domain.

  • The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    It's set to Pop Goes the Weasel. It was a joke/I like that song.

  • Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    HomeChoppingNetwork said:
    When sample-ripe recordings of the 60s and 70s enter public domain, along with the associated intellectual property, do you think we will see a resurgence of sample based hip hop in the mainstream market? If my understanding of copyright law is correct, this would start happening sometime around 2040 - 2050 I guess? Perhaps it is foolish to even try to make predictions about any aspect of the world that far in the future, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

    life of the author plus 70 years. Could be 22nd century. Probably more like 2070-2090. Either way, you'll likely be gone, and won't be able to hear it.

  • Bon Vivant said:
    life of the author plus 70 years.

    oh that's how it's calculated.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts



  • The_Non said:
    It's set to Pop Goes the Weasel. It was a joke/I like that song.
    haha

  • Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    CinisterCee said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    life of the author plus 70 years.

    oh that's how it's calculated.

    You know, I'm really over simplyfying. It really depends on when it was created. Other factors can include if the material is published or not. That's not an issue here, clearly.

    Here's a good matrix for determining when material enters the public domain: http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

    Looking at it, I actually misspoke. Material created and published from 1964 through 1977 is actually protected 95 years after publication, so the OP was pretty close the expiration date, for that stuff. Materal created and publshed AFTER 1977 is generally, life of the author plus 70 years, except if it's a corporate work for hire.

  • excellent

  • sampling does not stop its original creator from reaping the benefits of their work because you sliced a piece of it into yours. i became a fan of numerous artists through learning of them via sampled works, many of which were not selling albums any longer or their careers were over. take what you want and dont worry about copyright laws.

  • Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    speakmumbles said:
    sampling does not stop its original creator from reaping the benefits of their work because you sliced a piece of it into yours. i became a fan of numerous artists through learning of them via sampled works, many of which were not selling albums any longer or their careers were over. take what you want and dont worry about copyright laws.

    That's one way to look at it.
Sign In or Register to comment.