James set sale appreciation

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
Good records and arguably, even better descriptions:

"Sweet Maya ??? Sweet Maya ??? (no label)

VG+ / NM-

$65

As featured in the sadly late Leftfield Americana. If you've ever been visiting out-of-town relatives and been dragged along to some bullshit waterfront art fair (it's always named Riverfest or Riverwalk or River-something), and if you've ever threaded your resentful way through the stalls of burled walnut and handmade dulcimers and lumpy jewelry made from old other things and shapeless home-sewn caftans in umpteen shades of russet, all watched over by artisans perched tensely on too-tall captains chairs, each holding back with varying degrees of success the waves of bile within, then you may have strayed close enough to the band shell to have heard something like this record: funk-informed jazz fusion on its surface, in places edging into an AOR moody and smooth, but still somehow barbed with bad vibes. It's all very breezy, yet wheeling and tense. I gotta get the fuck out of here."

Comments

• best set sale ever!

• GOING DOWN IN SS HISTORY

HILARIOUS!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    YES!

• Guitar and synth in dialogue, plangent and carving. Almost worth it just for the back-cover photo of Fripp sitting erect as a cormorant, in his parson's spectacles and wooden cross necklace worn outside his heathered sweater while Eno, louche and long-haired, slouches next to him like the devil's dead-eyed stepson.

THIS.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Beautiful instant classic set sale. That dub lp looks sick.

Love this plug for the Barduhn LP:

"I have it on third-hand authority (my man and yours JRoot told me that his brother told him) that jefe Dave Barduhn is something of a dickhead. Though I'm also led to understand that his powder-white leonine mane remains impressive"

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    For real though...I'm in awe of the vocabulary.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Killing It. I'm sure alot of dudes were buying shit just for the fact that James has been giving us pure gold for years at no cost. His reviews of the mixes over at Waxidermy are a beautiful thing, i've spent entire nights just reading dudes posts as i'm sure many of us have. Plus, good/great records at great prices.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    James' top-shelf writing stylez were beyond adequate consolation for not being able to cop anything from the list due to me sleeping (literally).

:roar:

• HamHam 872 Posts
    umpteen shades of russet
    umpteen shades of russet