God Bless America (NRR)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
I have NEVER heard as many fans sing GBA as loud as they just did during the 7th inning stretch of the World Series.

This is in St. Louis....not Texas.

It was shocking.

Take note.

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    I can't wait for this "tradition" to end. How many bad renditions of this annoying song will I have to endure?

Agreed. Maybe the worst thing to happen as a result of 9/11 was the iron-fisted insertion of this song into baseball games.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    How about the Star Spangled Banner.....y'all cool w/that?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Was it inserted with an iron fist?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I love hearing the SSB at ball games.
    I always get to the soccer games early to hear what they are going to do with the song.
    My favorites are when the mic doesn't work and the crowd sings the song instead.

At an O's game once I heard a guy do it with acoustic guitar as a love song. Kinda like James Taylor migtht. He had been in the Starland Vocal Band.

I also like the patriotic tradition of opening with the anthem. But...
    The SSB sucks, it is difficult to sing and it mentions satan. (Oh satan that star spangled banner still wave)

In 2001 it was appropriate to turn the 7th inning stretch from a fun time into a time of remembrance. But we are ten years down the road. Let's sing Take Me Out To The Ball Game, or Thank God I'm A Country Boy or Respect. All of those songs have better melodies and lyrics than GBA.

BTW - I thought the guy who sang it tonight did a great job. And I love Ray Charles version. But my childhood memories of Kate Smith still haunt me.

So can we get youtubes of Marvin Gaye and Jose Feliciano singing SSB up here?

• Rockadelic said:

of course dude. and if you truly love the nat'l anthem's being sung at ball games as much as I do (I take off my hat even if I'm listening in the car), you, too, might be perturbed with this faux tradition they've tried to cultivate with God Bless America. IMO it just waters down the national anthem tradition to have this johnny-come-lately ditty presented as some sort of worthy sequel.

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/63780/P320/#938953

Rockadelic said:

Hell yeah! I'm a patriot. That GBA ish is corny.

LaserWolf said:

At an O's game once I heard a guy do it with acoustic guitar as a love song. Kinda like James Taylor migtht. He had been in the Starland Vocal Band.

Haha! I know that dude. Went to high school with his daughter. Fingered her at club, too.

• id like to keep 'god bless america' where it belongs..... at the end of Deer Hunter.

.......what?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    They don't sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame anymore?

b/w

God blesss the Dominican Republic too...where all the players come from.

I tolerate the SBB but we should be allowed to shoot "over-singers" from the stands

b/w

I HATE any audience participation sing-alongs, especially at a concert....as soon as an artist turns the microphone towards the audience I'm out

FrankieMeltzer said:
    Rockadelic said:
    I HATE any audience participation sing-alongs, especially at a concert....as soon as an artist turns the microphone towards the audience I'm out

Is this because you're a tenor?

No...it's because I spent $100 to see the dude on the stage sing, not the dude standing behind me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think Ladi Dadi should be the National Anthem with guest "singers" ONLY allowed to beatbox.

• batmon said:
    I think Ladi Dadi should be the National Anthem with guest "singers" ONLY allowed to beatbox.

joke all you want but as far as Im concerned folls standing up for GBA is just as ridiculous.

I generally tell people (esp. kids who may not know better) to sit down during this song. or I talk loud during it to make a point. Perhaps I'm being petty, but for me the national anthem actually means something. And for a CORPORATION like MLB to try to create some phony tradition out of whole clothe is nauseating.

why not stand up and salute the reggaeton walk-out music when the PR dudes step outta the dugout?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Fuck the National Anthem

Can't believe nobody pointed out my mistake.

In my post I got the GBA confused with Oh Beautiful.
    There are good versions of Oh Beautiful and I have no hate for that song.

rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:

joke all you want but as far as Im concerned folls standing up for GBA is just as ridiculous.

I generally tell people (esp. kids who may not know better) to sit down during this song. or I talk loud during it to make a point. Perhaps I'm being petty, but for me the national anthem actually means something. And for a CORPORATION like MLB to try to create some phony tradition out of whole clothe is nauseating.

why not stand up and salute the reggaeton walk-out music when the PR dudes step outta the dugout?

If the guy next to you sat and / or spoke loudly during the National Anthem because it didn't mean anything to him would you see that as dickish behavior?

I can see not liking GBA or not participating in it but to act and tell kids to be disrespectful to what may mean something to the others around you seems pretty dickish.

FrankieMeltzer said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Can't believe nobody pointed out my mistake.

In my post I got the GBA confused with Oh Beautiful.
    There are good versions of Oh Beautiful and I have no hate for that song.

Do you really think the song in question is named "Oh Beautiful"?

:oof:

Rockadelic said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    Rockadelic said:

No...it's because I spent $100 to see the dude on the stage sing, not the dude standing behind me.

So, I take it you don't go to many concerts.

• I went to a Sox-Yankees game at Fenway on a Friday night, and James Earl Jones came out... And spoke the SSB. Chills... That was incredible.

Agreed with the GBA nonsense. Ronan Tynan breaking out that extra verse horseshit during the playoffs.
    So dumb.

Bon Vivant said:
    Rockadelic said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    Rockadelic said:

So, I take it you don't go to many concerts.

Not U2 or Springsteen....no.

• Rockadelic said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:

If the guy next to you sat and / or spoke loudly during the National Anthem because it didn't mean anything to him would you see that as dickish behavior?

I can see not liking GBA or not participating in it but to act and tell kids to be disrespectful to what may mean something to the others around you seems pretty dickish.

there's no place at a sporting event for a song glorifying god. and if a kid's dad is standing and solemnly placing his hand over his heart for this canned BS then that kid has the right to know his dad's a dumbass.

Thought the guy who did SSB tonight was good.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    If there was a god, he'd be a hard-working, job-creating, ass-kicking American.