Lyrics Strut: What to do if lyrics I wrote are used and not credited to me?

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
So heres the story:

About a year and a half ago I wrote lyrics with someone I was close to in a brainstorming session. Those lyrics were then taken and used without my credit on an EP this person did with another artist. I was a bit bothered then, but further upset when it was then released on a 45 and got some radio play on a local station and some accolades on various blogs. I approached the person asking why I wasn't given credit for writing the lyrics and they told me essentially it's my own fault (AKA tough shit).

Is this really the case? is there something one can do in this instance? My only request was to get a written credit for my work, I know this has come up time and time again and I'm hoping there are some people here who have some experience with this.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Which Black Eyed Pea song is it?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    POST THE LYRICS OR YOUR (SIC) SOFT

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    skel said:
    POST THE LYRICS OR YOUR (SIC) SOFT

I'm actually not trying to name names because I have a feeling some strutters may know some of the people involved. Trying to stay outside the mud as much as possible.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    NAME NAMES

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Wait for it to blow up, then sue the bastards.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Wait for it to blow up, then sue the bastards.

doubt it'll ever blow up, but it was a small dream of mine to have a pressed record with my name on it. Sucks that my work is out there and I have no credit on it.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    First of all, it's a shitty thing to have happen to you and you have my sympathies but, as you can probably imagine, you're not the first person to be on the dirty end of this particular stick.

This advice comes too late to be of any real assistance, since this guy has obviously decided he's going to be a dick about it, but what you should have done is drawn up some kind of agreement once it became clear that the guy intended to make use of your work. At the minimum, this ought to consist of a writer credit and a share of copyright ownership relative to the extent of your contribution. For instance, if you wrote half the lyrics, that might amount to a 25% share. If you wrote a few lines here and there, or the bridge/middle eight, then maybe 10% / 15% / 16.66%, something like that. If it's the chorus, maybe as much as a third. Failing to agree on things like this early on is why a lot of bands fall out once they become successful, and they realise the main songwriter's earning more money, even though they might all be making an equal contribution to the creative process - this is pretty much the reason why Levon Helm still hates Robbie Robertson.

If there's some kind of documentary evidence of your input - an email chain, perhaps, or recordings from the writing sessions - you might be able to assert some kind of claim on that basis, but it depends how big an issue you want to make of it. Although it sounds as if you're entitled to a share of ownership (and any publishing money that might result), if you're happy just to get a co-writer credit, I can't see why this guy is blowing you off. Unless your contribution is actually the best part of the song, and he doesn't want people knowing he didn't write it, that is.

Also, if this guy has ripped you off, you definitely shouldn't feel bad about putting him on blast, but that's your call.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Send a copy of the record cracked with a condom inside and new lyrics to the song.

Either that or press your own copies of the record with your name on it and push them as raer.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    what you should have done is drawn up some kind of agreement

DocMcCoy said:
    but it depends how big an issue you want to make of it.

- spidey

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    what you should have done is drawn up some kind of agreement

DocMcCoy said:
    but it depends how big an issue you want to make of it.

- spidey

Hi Diego,

Please learn from my fusk up. You know you know, Not everyone is who they present themselves to be

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Thanks, I'll keep my eyes open.

it was a small dream of mine to have a pressed record with my name on it

I don't see why that still can't happen. Make some music!

- spidey

• and punch that dude in the mouth, so he cant spit your lyrics for at least a week

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    and punch that dude in the mouth, so he cant spit your lyrics for at least a week

well the dude is a lady, just had correspondence with the person who she released the 45 with and was told if its repressed I'll get a writing credit. I don't have much faith it will get a re-release bt its a lot better than hearing "tough shit"

• Can you do a rap version? No you can't!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    tripledouble said:
    and punch that dude in the mouth, so he cant spit your lyrics for at least a week

well the dude is a lady, just had correspondence with the person who she released the 45 with and was told if its repressed I'll get a writing credit. I don't have much faith it will get a re-release bt its a lot better than hearing "tough shit"

Is her name Lauren?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    So heres the story:

About a year and a half ago I wrote lyrics with someone I was close to

Rule 7(a)
    Keep your jump-offs and business completely separated....

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    bassie said:
    Guzzo said:
    So heres the story:

About a year and a half ago I wrote lyrics with someone I was close to

Rule 7(a)
    Keep your jump-offs and business completely separated....

so true

lesson learned

b/w

when people show you who they are, BELIEVE THEM