Stone Roses reforming

the_average_manthe_average_man 675 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
Must admit I always thought it might happen one day, anyway:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15348374

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I'm very surprised. I thought John Squire had given up on being a musician. Their first album is, IMO, one of the greatest,if not the greatest debut ever. Every song is great. Great, great, really great.

• The only thing that surprises me is how soon; I thought it would've been quite a few years awayyet . I bet they'll headline Glastonbury. Some of the more cynical UK press are putting it down to Ian facing a divorce but I don't think that's the only reason.

• This is like Christmas coming early. The Stone Roses were the first band that I really claimed as my own and will always be a personal favorite. I am sure this is blasphomy, but I would love to see some quaility remixes of Stone Roses released in the near future. All the ones I have heard have always been cheesy.

• the day i get the point where i'm excited about a band well past their prime reforming for cash in order to play in front of a seated audience of middle-aged men, this will be the day i realise i've given up on music.

b/w

they only have about half an album's worth of truly good songs anyway.

• Unless they're going to hand out shrooms and play 'Fool's Gold for two hours I'm not going.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    My brother knows Ian Brown quite well, and when I got wind of this about a month ago, I asked him if he'd heard anything about it. He told me it was definitely on, but he'd heard it was going to be the summer after next when they'd be available to headline Glastonbury, which takes a year off in 2012. I dare say they'll end up headlining when it comes back around anyway.

Personally? Not interested. If someone were to ask me who I thought was the most over-rated act of the last 25 years, I wouldn't even hesitate. That first album is a great record, as are some of the attendant singles, but for me its importance has been massively overstated, largely because it's inextricably linked with the formative drug experiences of an entire generation of British rock critics. When I hear people describe it as "the greatest album ever made", and the Roses as "the greatest British band ever", I want to fucking scream. Utterly ridiculous. As for that second album, it sounds like it was made in an absolute blizzard of coke - Squire clearly deciding that the way forward was for him to solo from the beginning of the album to the end, irrespective of what else was going on. I don't dislike them or anything, but come on, now - "greatest British band ever"? Better than the Beatles? The Clash? The Kinks? Dexys? The Who? Buzzcocks? Led Zeppelin? The Specials? Joy Division? The Zombies? The Faces? You've got to be fucking kidding. Don't piss on my boots and tell me it's raining.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    File under: Do not get.

Is it because I'm American? Too young? Because on purely musical merits, it's just not good?

School me.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    That first album is a great record, as are some of the attendant singles, but for me its importance has been massively overstated, largely because it's inextricably linked with the formative drug experiences of an entire generation of British rock critics. When I hear people describe it as "the greatest album ever made", and the Roses as "the greatest British band ever", I want to fucking scream. Utterly ridiculous.

b/w

yet, still excites me

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I was way into that first Stones Roses album when it came out...but don't see how it's necessarily better than other more-or-less similar British albums from that era, including Ride-Nowhere, Charlatans-Some Friendly, My Bloody Valentine-Loveless, Lush-Spooky, Loop-Fade Out, Spacemen 3-Recurring, Swervedriver-Raise, etc.

• This review from a couple of years ago nicely deflates some of the hype surrounding the stone roses:

http://thequietus.com/articles/02535-the-stone-roses-the-stone-roses-reissue-album-review

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Over hyped self proclaimed "most important group in the world" reforms 20 years after the fact to prove once and for all that the hype was as misguided as their self importance.

Double meh

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    neil_something said:
    the day i get the point where i'm excited about a band well past their prime reforming for cash in order to play in front of a seated audience of middle-aged men, this will be the day i realise i've given up on music.

I never did get a ticket for the Pistols reunion shows.

Just had a friend on Facebook dub them "Manchester's Finest". I asked him...hey, how about Joy Division? Or the Smiths?

neil_something said:
    This review from a couple of years ago nicely deflates some of the hype surrounding the stone roses:

http://thequietus.com/articles/02535-the-stone-roses-the-stone-roses-reissue-album-review

Man, I don't even particularly care for the three songs he says are good. Never mind the other bands he likes better (Nightmares on Wax? Really?).

(Really?)

That said, I can't stand the Smiths, so maybe I'm just not down with this whole swath of Brittania.

bsuwolf said:
    This is like Christmas coming early. The Stone Roses were the first band that I really claimed as my own and will always be a personal favorite. I am sure this is blasphomy, but I would love to see some quaility remixes of Stone Roses released in the near future. All the ones I have heard have always been cheesy.

A Guy Called Gerald and Grooverider both did good ones, IMO. Also, Oakenfold did a really good one, believe it or not.

• skel said:
    neil_something said:
    the day i get the point where i'm excited about a band well past their prime reforming for cash in order to play in front of a seated audience of middle-aged men, this will be the day i realise i've given up on music.

I never did get a ticket for the Pistols reunion shows.

alan mcgee did, and saw fit to take out an advert to write about it...

he is, however, a well known twat.

DB_Cooper said:

(Really?)

That said, I can't stand the Smiths, so maybe I'm just not down with this whole swath of Brittania.

Ah yes...the days when American teen-age boys rebelled against their parents by wearing eye makeup, feigning an english accent, writing poems about suicide and hanging out with overweight girls with even worse eye makeup.

Rockadelic said:
    DB_Cooper said:

(Really?)

Ah yes...the days when American teen-age boys rebelled against their parents by wearing eye makeup, feigning an english accent, writing poems about suicide and hanging out with overweight girls with even worse eye makeup.

Scott Weiland had to get his start somewhere.

HarveyCanal said:
    Rockadelic said:
    DB_Cooper said:

(Really?)

Scott Weiland had to get his start somewhere.

^^Funny Post^^

b/w

Tenderberry Pie For Two

• I love the S/T, but man, they were always kind of a terrible live act. Ian Brown sounds like garbage outside of a studio.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Damn.

I'd give my left nut to have been there. Or bollock, if you prefer.

Now when you talk about finest debut and suchlike, NMTB stands above all else imho.

Stone Roses > Shakespeare.

chrisflyer said:
    I love the S/T, but man, they were always kind of a terrible live act. Ian Brown sounds like garbage outside of a studio.

• chrisflyer said:
    I love the S/T, but man, they were always kind of a terrible live act. Ian Brown sounds like garbage outside of a studio.

this clip still cracks me up...

i think the bbc pulled the power deliberately to put them out of their misery.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    They used to play my hometown a lot before they "Blew up". Friends bands have shared the bill with them, I didn't think they were anything special then but they had a baggier image than the next band and that's what got them in. I guess middle-class Britain had not been asked to ride for mildly-funky "Underground" white boys for a very long time. Squier can play, Brown I don't care for personally but he's done some interesting tracks post-Roses, like "F.E.A.R."

I ran into Brown in a Chinese take-away in Altrincham on New Year's Eve a while back. He was alone in there until I walked in. It was thick snow so only the very daftest of cunts would be out in it. I recognised him straight away and said "Alright, Ian?" in a friendly way. He completely ignored me. I watched to see what his order was, he was dining alone. I was picking up a hundred quid's worth for a party in Sale, so I guess my swag was self-evident and intimidating. He wasn't walking out of there with 2 bottles of shit free wine, for sure. Wankstain.

Later, a friend of mine was in Brown's band for a while and confirmed Brown was a overbearingly self-important cunt.

Bez and Ryder are better value in the flesh. Still fairly shit live. Charlatans and Insprials were better contemporary Manc gigging bands IMHO. Doc was around at the time and probably caught more.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Actually, Jimster, when all that stuff was going on, I was listening to hip-hop, house and what they were calling "street soul" (Loose Ends, Rosaline Joyce, Projection, Deluxe, that kind of thing). I didn't give a fuck about guitar bands. I took a lot of convincing when it came to the Roses. When I was living in Manchester, they were just a two-bob circuit band known for kick-offs at their gigs (they had a big scooter boy following), and for tagging every listed building in the city centre. When the album came out, I remember a lot of people getting really excited about it; there'd been something of a buzz around the preceding singles, but all the time I was thinking, hang on, is this the same crappy Stone Roses from a few years ago? Why all the fuss? Did they suddenly get good or something? Evidently, a lot of people thought they had. One of them was a mate who's now quite a well-established TV director in the UK. I was doing some work with him while I was studying film at a local college not long after the album came out. He played it all the time in his car that summer, and eventually it wore me down. I did like Fool's Gold from the off, though - all the indie kids thought it was inspired by Can, but anyone who'd spent any time at the Hacienda could tell you they'd just hoisted the bassline from Young MC's Know How (something Mani finally admitted to on the radio a few years ago). To be perfectly honest I always prefered The Charlatans, although the fact they were mates probably had a little bit to do with that. Nonetheless, I never saw them do a bad gig, ever, and for all the stick Tim Burgess took BITD for supposedly being Ian Brown's Mini-Me, he was a far better singer. As for the Mondays, every time I saw them, they were a drug-fucked shambles. A big part of their appeal for some. I tended to stick with the records.

Just revisited. They sound like these guys, but sadder.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    funky16corners said:
    Unless they're going to hand out shrooms and play 'Fool's Gold for two hours I'm not going.

This.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Stone Roses were pretty cool. Fools Gold is extremely played out now, but it was ok for a minute when it came out.
    In time this became my favorite track off that album.

Not bad, you must admit.

I'd be interested to see what they come up with now.

And no offense, but some guy saying 'allright Ian' - calling out a celebrity by their first name and ish when they might not be interested in convo with a stranger, is rightfully being ignored imo.

Being Ian Brown > Picking up a lot of chinese take away.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Stone Roses were pretty cool. Fools Gold is extremely played out now, but it was ok for a minute when it came out.
    In time this became my favorite track off that album.

Not bad, you must admit.

I'd be interested to see what they come up with now.

And no offense, but some guy saying 'allright Ian' - calling out a celebrity by their first name and ish when they might not be interested in convo with a stranger, is rightfully being ignored imo.

Being Ian Brown > Picking up a lot of chinese take away.

LOL. The comment about the chinese was sarcasm. I'll try "May I shake the hand of Sir Ian Brown of The Stone Roses" next time. Not that I wanted to shake his f*cking wanking-claw or engage in convo with him. I take my Chinese errand-running extremely f*cking seriously.