Record Bags (International Travel Related)

discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
Dudes,

Thinking about copping this:

http://www.turntablelab.com/vinyl/43/217/91199.html

Any positive experience with this bag, or any other bag recommendations?

Comments

• These bags are O.K, but not great. I had a Tribal branded set in camo and they served me well but were not built to last.

Concerns:
    1)Watch out for the zippers. The one on the top bag, (which I used the most) broke after a year or two. Never got it fixed, just use the bottom roller bag.

2)The backpack bag straps are waaaaaay too short for use as a comfortable backpack when fully loaded. The weight is really high on your shoulders, felt like they put the straps from a little kids school knapsack on it.

3)Full, these bags weight a ton and can be awkward to carry or roll with. When they are stacked they can tip easily when trying to negotiate curbs and other obstacles.

So, depending on how much vinyl you plan on taking with you or plan on finding during your trip, you might want to keep looking for other solutions. I still use the roller bag because of the convenience of it's size and shape, but only for short trips. A rolling hard shell case with a comfortable handle would be better.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    If you really need to carry your records with you, then you should get the sturdiest possible option with padding on the inside & a reliable locking mechanism or lock capability. The larger of those two would probably have to be checked in if you're flying & you can guarantee they'll sling that thing like anything else. One of the UDG's that supposedly small enough to be taken as a carry on will not always pass the sizing test at the airport.

• Sometimes a weight test comes in as well as a size test, in my experience much more often in fact. If you are going to try carry on a big ol bag of vinyl (or more than ~7kg of stuff) you need to be prepared for them telling you it needs to be checked in or reduced in weight.

I've carried on half bags before and stuck the other 'half' in my suitcase .. hard case, no problem

• double

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i ve been djing for the past 10 years and the last 4 have been intense travelling every weekend. A UDG trolley usually lasts for 1 1/2 years before you can trash it, be it the wheels are f*cked (and you cant change them.. proper selling point) or the telescope arm is broken or its just generally trashed because airlines really dont care at all.
    If you are looking for the ultimate thing regarding bulit quality, longevity and safeness for your records, this is it:

http://de.juno.co.uk/products/kompakt-rimowa-dj-trolley-silver-holds-100-records/249975-01/

Its quite some money, but you wont regret it. Only one thing of concern is the weight, but what can you expect of a massive trolley like this? I know the guys well, i could ask for retail prices if you consider it.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Cosign on the UDG zippers. They go in no time and you are left with just the velcro.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    inVrs said:

If you are looking for the ultimate thing regarding bulit quality, longevity and safeness for your records, this is it:

http://de.juno.co.uk/products/kompakt-rimowa-dj-trolley-silver-holds-100-records/249975-01/

Its quite some money, but you wont regret it. Only one thing of concern is the weight, but what can you expect of a massive trolley like this? I know the guys well, i could ask for retail prices if you consider it.

This is exactly what I am looking for but a little bit on the large side. It needs to be carry-on-able. Do they have a smaller model? Something that fits 50-75 LPs?

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    musica said:
    inVrs said:

This is exactly what I am looking for but a little bit on the large side. It needs to be carry-on-able. Do they have a smaller model? Something that fits 50-75 LPs?

i can check but i m pretty sure there is only this model.