Biophilia

TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central

anyone bioFEELIN' this?

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    i made it halfway through the NPR preview last week before getting sidetracked, but i liked what i heard.

Edit: I now distinctly remember not liking the drum n bass breakdown on the one song.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    has this dropped yet?

• SIRUS said:
    has this dropped yet?

Both the album and the app are available at iTunes. Advance warning: they are two separate purchases. I got stung thinking the app also had the whole album.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    bjork is still a blind buy for me at this point. although i wish she would get a little dancey inna mid 90's kinda way again.

• SIRUS said:
    bjork is still a blind buy for me at this point. although i wish she would get a little dancey inna mid 90's kinda way again.

The end of "Crystalline" is straight up 90's Squarepusher - Big Loada Style Glitch n' Bass madness

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    SIRUS said:

The end of "Crystalline" is straight up 90's Squarepusher - Big Loada Style Glitch n' Bass madness

yeah, but instead of dabbling, going all in with it.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    SIRUS said:

yeah, but instead of dabbling, going all in with it.

a-hem

• SIRUS said:

i haven't checked those Matmos guys for some time, almost forgot about them. great track there.

• I am a big fan and scoop everything by her. Granted I really havent made repeat listenings of her last one, ,as I listen to Homogenic and Vespertine a whole lot(Medulla was very interesting as well) . But, I am looking forward to this as I do all of her albums. Glad to see she is still doing some things others dont do or havent tried..digging the whole "science lesson" aspect of this...

• I'm looking forward to hearing the new album, although if I'm honest I think she reached a peak with "Vespertine"; there is a great acapella version of "Hidden Place" from this album if you haven't already heard it.

As for putting out more dance-oriented stuff, there were a couple from "Volta" that would work on an open-minded dancefloor (although probably not one expecting mid-90's style dance music). In fact, I find most dance mixes of her stuff really bad, even the stuff from "Debut" that perhaps lent itself to these type of mixes more than anything else she's done. She's not a main room dance diva whose songs you can just shove a 4/4 kick under.

Not really a fan of that ending to "Crystalline" either.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Despite feeling that everything she's released since Vespertine has been a bit of a let down I still automatically check out any new release from her purely on the promise that she'll be offering up something new and different to most artists out there (and Vespertine is the kind of career high most artists don't reach once never mind twice).

Having listened through Biophilia a couple of times I can't say that I think it's ever going to blow me away though, as always, it's interesting to hear the influences she draws from previous albums along with current trends in dance/electronic music. I see it as kind of like what Madonna does with her incessant wooing of "in" producers but done well and as an absorbed influence rather than as pastiche.

In the context of the album I actually think Crystalline works well. It could just be the flashbacks it gives me to my DnB years but I feel it wakes the album up for that brief 1-2 minutes at the end of the song. I would never accuse Bjork of being easy listening but the album as a whole definitely drifts by a bit and spends a little too much time being pleasant, nothing more, nothing less, for my ears.