Is This Performance Art Or Am I That Disconnected?

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Much like Herman Cain, yes I think you are disconnected.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    I'll go with disconnected as well.

You should have left your explanation.

I'll go with disconnected too.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    PROJECTILE VOMIT!

FrankieMeltzer said:
    Rockadelic said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    I'll go with disconnected as well.

You should have left your explanation.

I'll go with disconnected too.

Why does this nascent movement bother you?

It doesn't bother me....I've just never seen anything like it before and thought it was unusual....and possibly performance art.

If this is a common occurrence then I am indeed totally disconnected.

It ain't disconnected to frown upon such kookishness. Those dorks deserve to be beaten up. But they are obviously the kind to enjoy being beaten up...which is just too weird for anybody to deal with, even pigly cops. Nothing to do but let them rot within their own side realities of insignificance.

HarveyCanal said:
    It ain't disconnected to frown upon such kookishness. Those dorks deserve to be beaten up. But they are obviously the kind to enjoy being beaten up...which is just too weird for anybody to deal with, even pigly cops. Nothing to do but let them rot within their own side realities of insignificance.

So I shouldn't be insulted that our Canadian buddy accuses me of being disconnected like Herman Cain.

b/w

I didn't think so.....and I wasn't.

HarveyCanal said:

So I shouldn't be insulted that our Canadian buddy accuses me of being disconnected like Herman Cain.

b/w

I didn't think so.....and I wasn't.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

This wasn't a double post......I was just repeating everything for the benefit of those sitting in the back.

• I think this way of communicating must have been created by an FBI plant or something. After witnessing its use first hand, I found it a great way to waste time and accomplish nothing. I support this movement, but c'mon this is a bad way to communicate ideas. What with the blocks and the votes to extend time limits, points of information, etc., very frustrating.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm not sure what you all are talking about because I couldn't get past the crowd repeating everything the main speaker says. Is this what you all are weirded out by? Because I couldn't handle it for more than like 30 seconds.

Rockadelic said:

First off, it's not an insult to be called "disconnected". 2nd, I'm not sure what possible benefit you bring to post a video like this, except to further discount what's really going on. Your comments tend to make these events seem like nothing more than a bunch of idiots and these protest are a giant waste of time.

While watching the video, I have no problem with saying it looks stupid. But as someone who's been around the world and seen a thing or two, I can easily state that I've come across stupid shit like this at many events that make the mind boggle.

While looking for a bit more information of this video. I found out that what they are doing is called "the People's Microphone". It's meant primarily to be used at events where you're not allowed to use things like a megaphone. Where the speaker talks about others repeat to get the message out. Which I believe in NYC is why they do it. While I have no idea why they are doing it in this video.

Here is a bit more information of what is supposedly going on.

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Why are they repeating each other"

"This is known as the "people's mic"; it is used for several reasons - sometimes, even with amplification, speakers are not loud enough to be heard by the entire crowd (and often, not everyone uses the amplified gear if amplified gear is present); also, for those who are hearing-impaired and primarily use lip reading to understand speakers, the people's mic is of much more use than amplified sound; finally, some people feel that it creates a more participatory atmosphere, making people feel more involved in the discussion."

"Why do they not want him to speak?"

"It's not that they don't want him to speak. It's that they had already approved an agenda for that meeting, and they were deciding whether or not they should change the agenda at the last minute to allow him to speak before the part of the agenda for individual speakers. They could not reach a consensus on modifying the agenda to allow him to speak early; therefore, the status quo was maintained and he was not allowed to speak early."

"What did I just watch?"

"An edited youtube video by someone whose goal is, evidently, to make the Occupy protesters look bad. The footage appears to be of a general assembly, which is how the occupy movements make decisions. They use consensus decision-making so that everyone is represented in the decisions made.

It is unfortunate that Congressman Lewis was not able to stay and have his chance to speak. I don't know how Occupy Atlanta is being run, but at some Occupations (such as Occupy Boston), they often have time for presentations and such outside of General Assemblies. Presumably, though, Congressman Lewis showed up on the spur of the moment (explaining why his staff didn't contact Occupy Atlanta to arrange a time for him to speak in advance)."

---------------------------------------------------------------

But I do thank you for calling me "buddy". I'm sure if we ever met in person, we'd sit down and have a beer and a meal and discuss a wide range of topics.

Did you go to that website Rock? http://conservartive.com/

It seems like they have plenty of vids you may or may not like.

DOR said:
    Rockadelic said:

First off, it's not an insult to be called "disconnected". 2nd, I'm not sure what possible benefit you bring to post a video like this, except to further discount what's really going on. Your comments tend to make these events seem like nothing more than a bunch of idiots and these protest are a giant waste of time.

While watching the video, I have no problem with saying it looks stupid. But as someone who's been around the world and seen a thing or two, I can easily state that I've come across stupid shit like this at many events that make the mind boggle.

While looking for a bit more information of this video. I found out that what they are doing is called "the People's Microphone". It's meant primarily to be used at events where you're not allowed to use things like a megaphone. Where the speaker talks about others repeat to get the message out. Which I believe in NYC is why they do it. While I have no idea why they are doing it in this video.

Here is a bit more information of what is supposedly going on.

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Why are they repeating each other"

"This is known as the "people's mic"; it is used for several reasons - sometimes, even with amplification, speakers are not loud enough to be heard by the entire crowd (and often, not everyone uses the amplified gear if amplified gear is present); also, for those who are hearing-impaired and primarily use lip reading to understand speakers, the people's mic is of much more use than amplified sound; finally, some people feel that it creates a more participatory atmosphere, making people feel more involved in the discussion."

"Why do they not want him to speak?"

"It's not that they don't want him to speak. It's that they had already approved an agenda for that meeting, and they were deciding whether or not they should change the agenda at the last minute to allow him to speak before the part of the agenda for individual speakers. They could not reach a consensus on modifying the agenda to allow him to speak early; therefore, the status quo was maintained and he was not allowed to speak early."

"What did I just watch?"

"An edited youtube video by someone whose goal is, evidently, to make the Occupy protesters look bad. The footage appears to be of a general assembly, which is how the occupy movements make decisions. They use consensus decision-making so that everyone is represented in the decisions made.

It is unfortunate that Congressman Lewis was not able to stay and have his chance to speak. I don't know how Occupy Atlanta is being run, but at some Occupations (such as Occupy Boston), they often have time for presentations and such outside of General Assemblies. Presumably, though, Congressman Lewis showed up on the spur of the moment (explaining why his staff didn't contact Occupy Atlanta to arrange a time for him to speak in advance)."

---------------------------------------------------------------

But I do thank you for calling me "buddy". I'm sure if we ever met in person, we'd sit down and have a beer and a meal and discuss a wide range of topics.

Did you go to that website Rock? http://conservartive.com/

It seems like they have plenty of vids you may or may not like.

1) I can't imagine being compared to Herman Cain by you was anything but an intended insult....or a left handed compliment at best......unless you're a closet Herman Cain fan.

2) The video spoke for itself and my comments were minimal...nothing insulting or derogatory from me.....based on others comments here, obviously I'm not the only one who thought this was a bit unusual.

3) The main speaker had a electric megaphone so your explanation seems inaccurate.

4) No, I have never been to conservative.com

5) I'll buy the first beer

Rockadelic said:

1) I can't imagine being compared to Herman Cain by you was anything but an intended insult....or a left handed compliment at best......unless you're a closet Herman Cain fan.

2) The video spoke for itself and my comments were minimal...nothing insulting or derogatory from me.....based on others comments here, obviously I'm not the only one who thought this was a bit unusual.

3) The main speaker had a electric megaphone so your explanation seems inaccurate.

4) No, I have never been to conservative.com

5) I'll buy the first beer

1. If I am incorrect that you and Cain do not share somewhat the same opinions on these protestors and your overall dismissive of these protest. Then I apologize.

2. Your posting of the video seems like it goes more with your overall view of these protest, than say pointing out something weird happening in the world. Much like the people who made the video in the first place.

3. I mentioned that I couldn't understand why they were doing it like this. Just what the process is called and why it is usually used. I wasn't there, so I can't really stated the reason. It is odd watching it.

4. It's conservartive.com not conservative.com.

5. Deal.

DOR said:

1. If I am incorrect that you and Cain do not share somewhat the same opinions on these protestors and your overall dismissive of these protest. Then I apologize.

I've posted about Matt Cain, Jonathan Cain and Cocaine....but I've never once mentioned Herman Cain nor commented on any of his views so this is strictly an assumption on your part....apology accepted.

2. Your posting of the video seems like it goes more with your overall view of these protest, than say pointing out something weird happening in the world. Much like the people who made the video in the first place.

Rather than comment on the protestors I simply admitted that I was the one who was disconnected. I didn't suggest they should be beat up, were "very frustrating" or that I couldn't watch it for more than 30 seconds.

3. I mentioned that I couldn't understand why they were doing it like this. Just what the process is called and why it is usually used. I wasn't there, so I can't really stated the reason. It is odd watching it.

Yes...it was odd.....we agree....and that's why I posted it

4. It's conservartive.com not conservative.com.

Never been to either one

5. Deal.

Deal

• HarveyCanal said:

Bun B at occupy Houston, is he a dork that should be beat up?

• certain laws don't allow people to just blast voices in high volumes in such public areas. Thats why the use the repeat method. So everyone can hear.

Michael Moore was at wallstreet and his brief speech was repeated in a very similar fashion.

barjesus said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Bun B at occupy Houston, is he a dork that should be beat up?

Is he repeating mundane announcements in mantra-like fashion in order to rudely filibuster a guest/potential ally?

"To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction:"

Sir Isaac Newton