Poll: Are you taking part in a Occupy (hometown) protest?

barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
Just curious.

Comments

• Stopped by on Saturday to check out the scene, talk to some folks. I don't know if that counts seeing how I didn't actually camp out and "occupy"

• I think showing any support by being there physically, be it for an hour or a month, counts. We aren't all unemployed.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Too busy working to pay the tuitions, pensions, benefits, and salaries of the people already down there.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    Too busy working to pay the tuitions, pensions, benefits, and salaries of the people already down there.

You finally got a job at Manhattan Credit Union? Nice!

• Zing!

• sabadabada said:
    Must be part of that "1%" I keep hearing about.

FrankieMeltzer said:
    sabadabada said:

Wow, you're special.

Actually I'm just like the other 99%.

• sabadabada said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    sabadabada said:

Wow, you're special.

So why don't you join your people?

TheKindCromang said:
    sabadabada said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    sabadabada said:

Wow, you're special.

So why don't you join your people?

Those people aren't the other 99%. They are the .009% NYU and Columbia University Students and a few professional agitators.

• i just connected a kitchen with 25 organic chickens which are on their way to being battered, floured and fried to feed folks. i dont feel any need to stay in the park all day...let folks who have time to do that hold it down. but i'll be giving them as much food support as possible.

some friends are hooking up a projector and system so we can watch the phillies game down there too.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It's in Toronto next Saturday. I haven't decided. The recent protests here have turned into such embarrassing displays of destruction and bullshit that distract from the real issues.

I'd feel better about taking over the Prime Minister's front lawn, cutting off his heat, water and electricity and shipping his kids off to Guantanamo Bay.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    bassie said:

I'd feel better about taking over the Prime Minister's front lawn, cutting off his heat, water and electricity and shipping his kids off to Guantanamo Bay.

Yes!

Here in Austin, I'm not sure why they chose to stage the protest at City Hall when there are mansions in Westlake that would be better suited.

• People are occupying/protesting multiple locations in LA they feel are more crucial than the main site (City Hall).
    Start at the main site, get a group of people who support your cause, and then start a satellite group at the new location.

• HarveyCanal said:
    bassie said:

Yes!

Here in Austin, I'm not sure why they chose to stage the protest at City Hall when there are mansions in Westlake that would be better suited.

Which one would you pick? Or would you just send a couple protestors to each house?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This place would work...

tripledouble said:
    i just connected a kitchen with 25 organic chickens which are on their way to being battered, floured and fried to feed folks. i dont feel any need to stay in the park all day...let folks who have time to do that hold it down. but i'll be giving them as much food support as possible.

some friends are hooking up a projector and system so we can watch the phillies game down there too.

Are they going to make smores and tell ghost stories?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Haven't done, don't plan to.

They are camping at Waterfront park. Dozens if not a hundred or more, homeless people do that every night.

They did a city hall protest.

I am with Harvey. I don't see the point. They are not protesting in the financial district, they are not occupying anything. I support a general, stop the greed, banks suck, corporations are not people, message. But it is a little too vague for me.

If they were really occupying something I still wouldn't go. That's a young persons game. Been there done that.

• sabadabada said:
    tripledouble said:
    i just connected a kitchen with 25 organic chickens which are on their way to being battered, floured and fried to feed folks. i dont feel any need to stay in the park all day...let folks who have time to do that hold it down. but i'll be giving them as much food support as possible.

Are they going to make smores and tell ghost stories?

hopefully. if they are gonna be sitting out there for days, i hope they have a good time and dont get too self important.

LaserWolf said:
    Haven't done, don't plan to.

They are camping at Waterfront park. Dozens if not a hundred or more, homeless people do that every night.

They did a city hall protest.

I am with Harvey. I don't see the point. They are not protesting in the financial district, they are not occupying anything. I support a general, stop the greed, banks suck, corporations are not people, message. But it is a little too vague for me.

If they were really occupying something I still wouldn't go. That's a young persons game. Been there done that.

I change my vote to YES.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'm too busy changing locks on foreclosures for the banks.

Someone has to pay taxes.

My friend who was living there was also going to school, working a job, and paying taxes.
    Many of the people I met there were paying taxes.

Their tax dollars go to propping up the banks who pay people to change locks on foreclosures.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    It would take greater organization and focus for an occupation to warrant my time, as I am not near any major cities. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the protests in general, but taking time off of school (I attend a public university) or my internship (I am a graduate intern at a state agency) would probably cost more in tax dollars than my meager presence would hope to return to the 99%. As some have mentioned above, disruptive tactics, poor location choices, etc. have shifted focus away from those serious about creating tangible change.

For sure.
    I aint occupying shit.
    I am supporting.

As for criticisms of tactics, locations, et al, I urge people to find out for themselves what is going on, and to ignore what you see in the media.

This is bottom up anger, expressing itself in community building and self sufficiency and public protest.

If you want policy papers and legislative initiatives, you have to look elsewhere.

2 city blocks in Portland are wall to wall tents. My buddy said over 100 people, I would be surprised if it was less than double that.

Under the silver tarp is a sukkah, which functions as an all faiths meeting place.

There is day care.

also a kitchen, communications tent (wi fi, lap tops, phones...), medic tent, wellness tent, KBOO has a studio tent so they can broadcast live, Sanitation tent (moving trash out for hundreds of people is a full time job), engineering tent, information tent, art center tent and lots more.

Veterans For Peace and homeless veterans have stacked out this area.

Occupied bathrooms are stocked, cleaned and maintained by Occupy.

Stories of unsanitary conditions are not accurate. Everyone who volunteers in the kitchen has a food handlers card and it is likely more sanitary than most of the carts around town.

FEMA concentration camp along with the Austin/Portland sign made me think of soulstrut.

The reason the photos look dark and dreary is this is Portland and it is dark and dreary at mid day.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    My friend who was living there was also going to school, working a job, and paying taxes.
    Many of the people I met there were paying taxes.

Their tax dollars go to propping up the banks who pay people to change locks on foreclosures.
    I hear ya, but it sounds like maybe his tent was doing most of the occupying.