• Options
    I'm in for one.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    are you upgrading from one?

• Brian said:
    lol

agreed, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Worth it if you have a 3Gs or below. Or no iphone.

Upgrade from a 4? Hell no...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    This breathless anticipation for each new Apple gizmo is getting a little weird, imo.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    This breathless anticipation for each new Apple gizmo is getting a little weird, imo.
    getting?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    DOR said:

what did you want it to have?

Brian said:
    Horseleech said:
    getting?

OK, it's always been weird.

Guzzo said:
    DOR said:

what did you want it to have?

I'm just saying (IMO) there isn't enough to warrant an upgrade if you have the 4 already.

I mean, there is a couple of great things. If you don't have an iphone or you have the 2/3G/3GS and you have been thinking about it. I would totally go for it.

If you're asking me what would have totally had me jump on it. The first thing that comes to mind is LTE.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm all about the 8 mpxl camera.
    then again I got a 3gs and feel unloved by many

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Brian said:
    Horseleech said:
    getting?

It's not weird. And it's not really the company's fault (though they hardly do much to stymie it). It's just another example of how an internet-based news cycle based on quantity on posts (which generate clicks) compels writers and editors to crank every minor story into something major. You see the same thing across the board - legal TV, for example (see the current Amanda Knox circus which just followed on the Casey Anthony circus).

Anyways, I'd upgrade to the 4GS so I could pass my current 4 over to my wife who's been complaining how frickin' slow her 3 (inherited from me) has been. I don't think I'm eligible to upgrade though.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i was more thinking about the weirdos crying outside of apple stores while camping out for a week

and apple absolutely fosters it through their no media stance. not saying it's bad, it absolutely works for them. every little story wouldn't be a story if apple actually talked to the media beyond release events

Guzzo said:

then again I got a 3gs

3GS? I would upgrade too

• I know this is more OS, but Siri. Werd.

• ill be upgrading based solely on the fact that i pay an extra $7/month to switch phones for the $100 deductible at any time I want for any handset new or old. i go through alot of iphones.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Supposedly SIRI is the big innovation for the phone. Its a "do" engine with voice commands. You're supposed to be able to tell it to book a hotel and it will make reservations for you.

motown67 said:
    Supposedly SIRI is the big innovation for the phone. Its a "do" engine with voice commands. You're supposed to be able to tell it to book a hotel and it will make reservations for you.

I'll believe that shit when I see it in action. And not on a demo video.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I drank the Apple kool-aid a long time ago, like a lot of people. Whatever. But I was thinking: Why didn't they just market the 4S as the iPhone 5? Why even have the 4S? And who would've even known the difference?

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Brian said:
    lol

:comedy_gold:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Horseleech said:
    Brian said:
    Horseleech said:
    getting?

It's not weird. And it's not really the company's fault (though they hardly do much to stymie it). It's just another example of how an internet-based news cycle based on quantity on posts (which generate clicks) compels writers and editors to crank every minor story into something major.

This argument is expanded on here: The iPhone 5 letdown: We're all to blame

"iPhone 5" on a technology news site = click bait

So sites will run damn near anything, including utterly ridiculous rumors ("The iPhone 5 will be a Sprint exclusive and will be WiMax!").

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    T-Mobile USA. Stop peddling your shitty phones and get with Apple!

• RAJ said:
    T-Mobile USA. Stop peddling your shitty phones and get with Apple!

For all the shortcomings of both the device and the service provider, my Blackberry + T-Mobile combination is still unbeatable price-wise for the amount of international travel I've done the last two years. In addition to my base rate, I pay just $20/month for international Blackberry email. That???s unlimited emailing, wherever I can get on a wireless network, anywhere in the world, for $20. Text/voice/web is of course subject to insane roaming charges as with any other provider. But I don???t miss those functions when I???m on a train in Tanzania or a bus in Laos, sending and receiving e-mails all day for next to nothing. And it???s pro-rated: when I get home midway through the month, I can remove the service and pay only for the days of the month I was abroad. And re-add it again when I leave town again.

Brian said:
    i was more thinking about the weirdos crying outside of apple stores while camping out for a week

This is what I was thinking of also.

And if people want to tell themselves that it's not weird to weep tears of joy over getting a phone that is slightly smaller than their last one, or that does some shit that they don't actually need at all, then they can go right ahead. That gaping void in their life will catch up to them sooner or later.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    mannybolone said:
    Horseleech said:
    Brian said:
    Horseleech said:
    getting?

It's not weird. And it's not really the company's fault (though they hardly do much to stymie it). It's just another example of how an internet-based news cycle based on quantity on posts (which generate clicks) compels writers and editors to crank every minor story into something major.

This argument is expanded on here: The iPhone 5 letdown: We're all to blame

"iPhone 5" on a technology news site = click bait

So sites will run damn near anything, including utterly ridiculous rumors ("The iPhone 5 will be a Sprint exclusive and will be WiMax!").
    Come on, none of that shit would exist (or at least at the scale it currently does) if Apple actually commented on shit. They absolutely feed off it

• i don't even think it's about the actual product anymore; people just like buying new, supposedly aspirational things...

b/w

Brian: so in your private technology mind garden...what should a company like Apple do? Just talk about all the specs to their new products before they debut?

I'm just trying to understand how this is supposed to work as opposed to your critique of how it actually does work.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm not critiquing Apple's strategy. It obviously has been working fantastic for them and they would be stupid to change anything. Just saying that evil bloggeurs building up (false) hype on future products does not work when a company actually communicates. By not commenting they just feed into even more. That coupled with the fanatical userbase that eats up every little tidbit of info and this is what you get.

b/w

Advertising processor specs = fucking up the money. Who the fuck knows what a "dual-core A5 chip" is?

• Options
    Brian said:
    are you upgrading from one?

Yes, I've had the 3gs since right around when it came out so I'm due.