American League East Drama

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
Crazy last day of the season drama to determine the wild card!

I feel SO dirty rooting for the Yankees but damn if they aren't getting the job done, up 5-0 on Tampa with a lot of baseball left to play.

Sox are holding a slim lead halfway through their game with the O's, I can barely watch.

My good buddy (and fellow Strutter) Pete, who lives in NYC now but is a Boston boy/Sox fan, went down to Baltimore to attend the game and root for the Sox to clinch ... hope he gets to have his fun and make the trip worthwhile.

I almost feel like the Yanks are motivated to beat the Rays tonight because they would rather face the limping Sox than surging Rays in the playoffs!

Comments

• unityunity 179 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:

but damn if they aren't getting the job done, up 5-0 on Tampa

Whoops. But for real, this baseball is great. I'm watching on ESPN.com (no TV-kind-of-on-vacation-related), I'm just glad my Tigs are already in it. Playoff baseball is exciting

• Shiz still not decided in EITHER league right now. HOpe the Braves don't choke it away. And just as I type that I see they are down 4-3.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    WHY CAN"T I WATCH THESE GAMES SIDE by SIDE by SIDE?! Those are some 1st world problems that need to be dealt with swiftly, espn.

• Unbelievable ending to this...

Bye Sox.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    wow. I had to go out tonight not long after making this thread.

at that point, the Sox were up 3-2 in the 6th and the Yanks were up 7-0 on the Rays.

just came home to find the Sox lost in extra innings and the Rays won on a walk-off.

holy shit my team just choked away the playoffs with the ugliest month of baseball in MLB history.

I may be bitter but the Orioles celebrating like they won the World Series was pretty weaksauce.

• insanity.

Beantown: incredible run of bad luck or massive tank job?

Longoria was super clutch.

And the Cards got to play good ol' Go 'Stros.

What a crazy night for MLB.

• epic end to the season
    phillies beat braves in extra innings
    boston collapses in the 9th
    and the rays come through in OT
    wow. couldnt have been scripted better

GenePontecorvo said:
    massive HISTORIC tank job

• SoulOnIce said:
    GenePontecorvo said:
    massive HISTORIC tank job

Even though I'm a Yankees fan, I like a lot of the Red Sox players - I mean, how can you not like dudes like Ellsbury and Pedroia?

That said, I'm glad it was Papelbon that choked the season away.

Horseleech said:

actually, the whole team - except for maybe Ellsbury and Pedroia - choked the season away, slowly, agonizingly, over the past month. they have been terrible, terrible, just awful, for weeks. Beckett & Lester fell apart in September. Francona has got to be out now, right or wrong.

• Kimbrel and Papelbon, two super money closers could not get the job done.

The craziest play of the night was the improbable HR by Dan freaking Johnson w/ 2 out in the ninth to tie it for TB.

162 games and down to the last second.

• SoulOnIce said:
    Horseleech said:

actually, the whole team - except for maybe Ellsbury and Pedroia - choked the season away, slowly, agonizingly, over the past month.

You're right, of course, but Papelbon will be the face of it for giving up that homer.

Dan Johnson is the new Aaron Boone.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Congratulations to the Rays and their fan. Hell of a run.

• Horseleech said:

Even though I'm a Yankees fan, I like a lot of the Red Sox players - I mean, how can you not like dudes like Ellsbury and Pedroia?

Are you fucking kidding me?!?!?!! Consider your Yankee fandom pass revoked!

• Garcia_Vega said:
    Horseleech said:

Are you fucking kidding me?!?!?!! Consider your Yankee fandom pass revoked!

Shit, there goes my box seats at the new stadium!

• There is no Aaron Boone this year... This feels nothing like 2003. And that year wasn't Aaron Boone- it was all Grady Little.

And firing Tito- the best manager in franchise history- would also be stupid.

• keep Francona, hell of a manager. Fire Theo, he's easily replaceable with another sabermetric fluent young turk.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Keep Tito. Burn Lackey at the stake.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Didn't watch any.

As a long suffering Os fan it is nice to see them get such a high profile win. Plus there are like 3 teams that finished below them. YEA!

I do apologize to Reds fans, sorry it had to be you.

Will there be some play off games on free American TV?

• The O's celebrating after losing 90 games was hella weak.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:

I feel SO dirty rooting for the Yankees but damn if they aren't getting the job done, up 5-0 on Tampa with a lot of baseball left to play.

Sox are holding a slim lead halfway through their game with the O's, I can barely watch.

My good buddy (and fellow Strutter) Pete, who lives in NYC now but is a Boston boy/Sox fan, went down to Baltimore to attend the game and root for the Sox to clinch ... hope he gets to have his fun and make the trip worthwhile.

I almost feel like the Yanks are motivated to beat the Rays tonight because they would rather face the limping Sox than surging Rays in the playoffs!

this shit was so painful... best part of it was they showed "rain delay theatre" on the Jumbotron in Camden Yards like they used to do BITD on tv, highlights of the 1970 world series and whatnot...

the place was literally half full of red sox fans... people were mad cocky when the yankees had a 7-0 lead and we were up and Lester was mowing them down...

it was a good game, and to get the seats i had at Camden Yards in Fenway would have cost me what my entire trip cost me including bus and hotel... Camden is by far the best stadium i've been in to watch a game... i love fenway, and the new pittsburgh stadium is real nice, but Camden is pretty special... enjoyed my day in baltimore as well, weather was great, walked around, got my lady some crabcakes... BUT...

papelbon has coughed up leads like that before, didn't he do it in last years playoffs? it was weird, this game brought me back to pre-04 feelings about the Sox; that no lead is safe, that anything can do wrong, and at the wrong moment... i actually thought Crawford was gonna catch that ball and it was gonna go extra innings...

it is very funny to me, that really all they needed was one (or two) more wins, when i think back to all the games i watched this season that they blew for no reason... nevermind the terrible first month, i mean like random meltdown 6 run innings, Papelbon and Bard not being as lights out as they can be, Lackey pitching like a piece of shit all year, the team basically NEVER coming back in the later innings... so, kinda fuck this team as they really did not play like winners or even like a team really... the rays played better, they deserve it... they aint getting out of the first round of the playoffs, tho...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    So Tito is gone...

They are spinning it like it was his call, but I have to wonder.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    As an O's fan, I apologize to one of the best teams in baseball for having to watch the players, of one of the worse teams in baseball, celebrate like they had just won the world series.

My apologizes especially go out to, those fans who traveled south to Baltimore, so they could celebrate like they had just won the world series, but left disappointed.