3 out of 4 Americans Support Legalizing Medical Marijuana

SteepSteep 31 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
http://www.theweedblog.com/three-out-of-four-americans-support-legalizing-medical-marijuana-in-their-state/
Any marijuana smokers out there? We need people invovled in serious political activism at Norml norml.org.

2012 is shaping up to be an amazing year for marijuana legalization with multiple state initiatives for complete marijuana legalization and a federal initiative for legalization.

Whitehous.gov just started a petition site with the highest prioritized petition being marijuana legalization.

It is becoming an integrated part of American communities, let us legalize it put the green into our society through the economic profit we would generate by eliminating its illegality.

Peace, spin records.

Comments

• Steep said:
    Results of a Pew Research poll released earlier this month found that Americans??? support for legalizing the adult use of marijuana has risen from 16 percent approval in 1990 to 45 percent today.

thats a hopeful finding. i definitely would like to see national decriminalization before the decades out

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    What politician doesn't want to support something 3/4 of Americans support?

All of them.

We need politicians who will stand up and say, enough is enough. Legalize it.

• Legalize everything. Tax it. If people choose to kill themselves with substances, there will be less dummies around.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Just got asked last night if I'd like to fly out to Northern Cali to help some friends harvest from their marijuana farm within the next few weeks. Just might have to take them up on the offer.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    speakmumbles said:
    Legalize everything.
    For all ages? Should kids be able to buy meth candy at the corner gas station? I don't think people know what total legalization of all drugs really looks like. Until meth can be freely sold to kids, drugs aren't totally legal.

• Reynaldo said:
    speakmumbles said:
    Legalize everything.
    For all ages? Should kids be able to buy meth candy at the corner gas station? I don't think people know what total legalization of all drugs really looks like. Until meth can be freely sold to kids, drugs aren't totally legal.

legalized doesnt mean its not regulated. alcohol and tobacco are decent examples in case you were wondering what that might look like.

tripledouble said:
    Reynaldo said:
    speakmumbles said:
    Legalize everything.

legalized doesnt mean its not regulated. alcohol and tobacco are decent examples in case you were wondering what that might look like.
    Regulation-related fines and penalties still disproportionately affect the poor. If the goal of legalization is to help the people most affected by criminalization, then there should be minimal regulation/restrictions, perhaps only in the area of operating vehicles under the influence.

Really Rey?
    The poor are disproportionately affect (effected?) by tobacco and alcohol regulation?

• "The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the Prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government & the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this. There is also another way in which Prohibition, in my opinion, undermines the authority of government. The public house is a place which gives people the opportunity to exchange views & ideas on public affairs. As far as I can see, such an opportunity is lacking in this country, the result being that the Press, which is mostly controlled by vested interests, has an excessive influence on public opinion." Albert Einstein on prohibition in America.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Kudos to Einstein but prohibition was repealed in 1933, so it's a little lacking in relevance.

Don't get me wrong, I do see some similarities in argument but he is clearly talking about alcohol there.

The idea that simple possession is all but legal is ridiculous.
    Federal penalty for first offense is one year in federal penitentiary. That's no joke.

FL one year.
    AL one year.
    AZ one and one half years.
    OK one year.
    AR one year.
    MO one year.
    KS one year.
    SD one year.
    IN one year.
    NH one year.
    MD one year.

Add slightly larger amounts, grow, or 2nd offense and your incarceration go up.
    Most every other state has penalties, including prison time, for possession.

SoulOnIce said:
    Kudos to Einstein but prohibition was repealed in 1933, so it's a little lacking in relevance.

Don't get me wrong, I do see some similarities in argument but he is clearly talking about alcohol there.

You are not making sense.
    He is clearly talking about prohibition.
    The only part that is not directly applicable is the mention of the public house.
    Still that argument can be made today also.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

You are not making sense.
    He is clearly talking about prohibition.
    The only part that is not directly applicable is the mention of the public house.
    Still that argument can be made today also.

Right, the entire second half of the quote.

And the entire quote is clearly about 18th Amedment, which was about alcohol and had nothing to do with Mary Jane. So how am I not making sense?

• Lacking relevance? Um, sorry your honor. Prohibition/legalization of alcohol is very much comparable to the modern legalization of marijuana debate.

It's quite simple. He's talking about laws which cannot be enforced, such as marijuana growth & use (which are PROHIBITED in most states). He also mentions increase of crime as a result prohibition which is useful in the modern argument.

We don't need to shift gears to a history lesson on prohibition or Einstein.

I thought the mention of the Press was just interesting, plus I wanted to put in the whole paragraph to show context.

• Federal criminalization of medical marijuana was held constitutional through the application of the Commerce Clause, the very same clause upon which the mandatory coverage requirement in the Obama healthcare legislation must rely - along with a host of other progressive legislation. So, don't count on any challeges to the government's power to outlaw marijuana any time soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzales_v._Raich

Has anyone doubted that power?

Like I said, it is important to remember no matter how decriminalized it is in your state, you can still spend a year in Federal Pen for simple possession.

• A lot of people doubt that power. But, as I've been saying for a long time here, constitutional does not equal "things I like." It has to be applied evenly, so you take the rough with the smooth, so to speak.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    overflo said:
    "The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the Prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government & the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this. There is also another way in which Prohibition, in my opinion, undermines the authority of government. The public house is a place which gives people the opportunity to exchange views & ideas on public affairs. As far as I can see, such an opportunity is lacking in this country, the result being that the Press, which is mostly controlled by vested interests, has an excessive influence on public opinion." Albert Einstein on prohibition in America.

Meh. Einstein may have been wrong about the lightspeed thing. Maybe he's wrong about this, too.

HOLLAFAME said:

Haha!

• Bon Vivant said:
    overflo said:
    "The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the Prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government & the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this. There is also another way in which Prohibition, in my opinion, undermines the authority of government. The public house is a place which gives people the opportunity to exchange views & ideas on public affairs. As far as I can see, such an opportunity is lacking in this country, the result being that the Press, which is mostly controlled by vested interests, has an excessive influence on public opinion." Albert Einstein on prohibition in America.

Meh. Einstein may have been wrong about the lightspeed thing. Maybe he's wrong about this, too.

He may be wrong about light speed, but last I checked opinions aren't right or wrong; they are just opinions.

Personally, my opinion is that sobriety is underrated.

LaserWolf said:
    Really Rey?
    The poor are disproportionately affect (effected?) by tobacco and alcohol regulation?
    Yes. Have you seen how expensive a pack of cigs is now in CA?

Moonshine is illegal. Liquor (and tobacco) licenses are expensive, if you can get them at all.

overflo said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    overflo said:

He may be wrong about light speed, but last I checked opinions aren't right or wrong; they are just opinions.

Opinions can't be right or wrong? That's news to just about everyone. Thanks for the tip.

• Bon Vivant said:
    overflo said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    overflo said:

Opinions can't be right or wrong? That's news to just about everyone. Thanks for the tip.

Meh. Opinions on society, politics, religion, etc aren't right or wrong, they are too relative & too subjective. Facts can be right/wrong. There's another tip for you & just about everyone.

You're little contribution to this discussion should have stated exactly what Einstein is wrong about. Instead of this current quibble over opinions. Try stating yours.

All posters dissing Einstein=lame. They couldn't possible write, say, do, think anything as timeless or eloquent as Einstein.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    As far as selling legalization to the general public, in my opinion, the one foot in the door with 'medical' cannabis has done slightly more harm than good (old people who live near shops and have to sweep blunt trash out of the gutter - related). However, it should be put it in terms even the freedom-loving far right can understand: it's a plant and it doesn't kill people. It's 2011 and there are states that still prosecute relatively harshly? Fuck that.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    if people didnt smoke weed we wouldnt be in a recession right now

overflo said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    overflo said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    overflo said:

Meh. Opinions on society, politics, religion, etc aren't right or wrong, they are too relative & too subjective. Facts can be right/wrong. There's another tip for you & just about everyone.

You're little contribution to this discussion should have stated exactly what Einstein is wrong about. Instead of this current quibble over opinions. Try stating yours.

All posters dissing Einstein=lame. They couldn't possible write, say, do, think anything as timeless or eloquent as Einstein.

Actually, your opinion about facts is wrong. Facts can only be right. Otherwise, they aren't "facts", are they?

Now, interpretation of facts can be right/wrong. But, that's what "opinion" is, isn't it?

Here's my opinion: Maybe Einstein wasn't wrong about Prohibition, but considering that this country does allow the use and possesion of marijuana, and some drugs that are normally illegal, we don't live in a similar Prohibition-style era, so his words are don't apply here.

• My opinion isn't about the Prohibition, or prohibition style, or alcohol, or the 30's. I'm pointing what he wrote. He's saying that a government who tries to enforce laws which are difficult to enforce is weakened by their efforts. And I agree. If 3 of 4 Americans agree with the legalization of pot, it seems an expensive, strenuous task to prohibit it.

overflo said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    overflo said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    overflo said:

Actually, your opinion about facts is wrong. Facts can only be right. Otherwise, they aren't "facts", are they?

Now, interpretation of facts can be right/wrong. But, that's what "opinion" is, isn't it?

Here's my opinion: Maybe Einstein wasn't wrong about Prohibition, but considering that this country does allow the use and possesion of marijuana, and some drugs that are normally illegal, we don't live in a similar Prohibition-style era, so his words are don't apply here.

Wait. You think Marijuana is more legal now than alcohol was during prohibition?

If that is what you think, you are wrong.
    Use and possession of alcohol was allowed during prohibition.
    Except for scientific research, all use and possession of marijuana is illegal in this country.
    All.
    There is no legal marijuana use. Full stop.

• LaserWolf said:
    Except for scientific research, all use and possession of marijuana is illegal in this country.
    All.
    There is no legal marijuana use. Full stop.

Wrong:

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000881