Belgium and Tilburg, NL, what's good?

Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
I'm doing a beer tour with my father all over Belgium starting in two weeks. Looking forward to it, but I've never been to the country. We'll be staying the first night in Brussels, then moving on to Leper for two nights, Bruges for two nights after that, then we are staying at Inn of Le Veille Forge in
Mont for two nights, two nights are across the border in Tilburg, NL, then two nights back in Belgium in the city of Mechelen, finally we go back to Brussels for one last night. For the most part we are touring brewries and bars, but we do have a good amount of free time in these cities. Are any of you guys across the pond familiar with these places? I'm looking for baller restuarants, interesting markets, and maybe some record shops? Also, how easy is it to get chronic? What are the laws in Belgium? I'm there 10/14-10/24, all recommendations welcome.

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Yo,
    Are you sure you want to be switching hotels all the time? Most of these places are relatively close to each other.
    Brussel - Tilburg is an hour and 15 minutes by car for instance.
    Check it out, might safe you the hassle of packing and unpacking etc.

• Yeah good point, I know Mechelen is really close to Brussles too. I'm sort of at the mercy of the tour when it comes to places to stay, but honestly I sort of like the idea of moving around and staying in a variety of places.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    You know things are tough with the New York football Giants when R****** feels compelled to leave the country for a while.

• Hahaha, I purposely got those dates, I'm missing the Bills game (which I thought was going to be wack anyway, but after yesterday who knows), and the following week is the team's bye! Priorities!
    We beat the Eagles dude!

Garcia_Vega said:
    Hahaha, I purposely got those dates, I'm missing the Bills game (which I thought was going to be wack anyway, but after yesterday who knows), and the following week is the team's bye! Priorities!
    We beat the Eagles dude!

:shreddin_it:

b/w

The Bills this year. :hated_it:

• Tin Tin Museum in Brussels?

Don't miss the statue of the pissing naked kid in Brussels. The locals dress it up in different costumes every day. It is no way weird or mildly disturbing.

• Be careful buying smoke....Belgium is uptight....but they have good beer....try dekonnick in antwerp...the flemish make the best beers.....the French side of the country is always angry....try leonidas for chocolates

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    try junior highschools if you wanna buy schmoochie-poochie

• Lamont said:

What kind of advice is this?!

• Garcia_Vega said:
    Lamont said:

What kind of advice is this?!

if you decriminilize it, adults stop using it

• Lamont said:
    if you decriminilize it, adults stop using it

Even if that were true (and it isn't), that doesn't help our man here on his vacation.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Here's a less risky compromise: you can score hash anywhere there are campsites. You need to buy all your beer in Belgium, put it on ice and then bomb it down to the Alps or Cote d'Azur to drink it on a campsite. It's like Boston to Philly give or take. You could meet back up with your tour 2 days later and tell them you got sick from drinking Euro tapwater.

Speaking of which, don't forget to bring toilet roll!

Also, nzshadow could mail some smokes to your hotel. One time a friend mailed some by opening up a VHS and taking out all the tape and then wrapping some hash around the spools to look like tape, screw it back together and nobody will know.

• I just used to make a day trip to Amsterdam.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I would pay money to see GV and his dad strolling around Amsterdam. Assuming his wife is letting him go there.

Can't help you with the foodie stuff - assuming Leper is a typo (Ieper/Ypres), this town is pretty dead, I think the city of Ghent has more to offer: art museums, architecture, bars, etc. Although nightlife can be unkind on foreigners/non-Flemish speakers it is worth to wander into Cafe Charlatan (Vlasmarkt), where rockers and ravers unite, again: act like a tourist and be treated as one. Being Bruges-born, I'd limit my time in the city and keep the myth intact, nice buildings and history but what a small place... Brussels: The African Museum (Tervuren) is worth your time. Mont (Mons?) is a good spot to tramp into the southern bushy countryside.

Have fun.

Horseleech said:
    I just used to make a day trip to Amsterdam.

Thats what I did. Train into Amsterdam, train out. That was about 12 years ago though.

• Yes Lamont it is a typo, we are going to Ieper. We're staying at Hotel Novotel and using it as a jump off point to go to De Struise Brewery (where I'm looking forward to tasting their Pannepot among others), and then to hit up the Abbey of Saint Sixtus and finally try out the famous Westvleteren beers. This stop is actually one of the main highlights for me, I know this is a bold claim but they just might be the two best breweries in Belgium. We are having dinner at De Struise on one night, and lunch at the Abbey on the next day. So I'm looking at one place to have lunch, and one place to go to dinner. If it was your birthday and you could go anywhere to eat in Ieper, where would you go? Where would you go for drinks after?

• SportCasual said:
    I would pay money to see GV and his dad strolling around Amsterdam. Assuming his wife is letting him go there.

Haha, I would pay to see my dad in Amsterdam. When I brought it up to the wife she said go for it, who knows when I'll ever get back to Europe after this trip. Ten years ago Amsterdam would've been trouble for me, now I'm so domesticated I can barely stay awake past 2am! I also can't smoke out like I used to, the nights of smoking ten blunts to the dome are over for me. I just need a few joints to hold me down. I'll find someone to find something for me, I always do. I was just wondering if soulstrut had an agent in Belgium who could hook me up with some intel. I'd jump the border to cop but don't know what border control is like. If anything I can hold off until the end of the trip when we reach Tilburg.

Garcia_Vega said:
    I'd jump the border to cop but don't know what border control is like.

On a train ride from Central Station in Amsterdam to Milan, we stopped a few times, including a stopover in Germany, and there was no border control at all except crossing from Switzerland into Italy. Even then, the border guards and their German Shepherd walked right past me. I had 4 grams of hash in my shoe, and the dog's nose was six inches from it. Must have been a bomb dog. Or really bad at his job.

Again, that was 12 years ago. And I went from Belgium into Amsterdam, not the other way around.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I can just see a drunk/blazed GV turning a corner, seeing a row of ladies in windows and exclaiming "NO SHIT!!!!"

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    I'd jump the border to cop but don't know what border control is like.

On a train ride from Central Station in Amsterdam to Milan, we stopped a few times, including a stopover in Germany, and there was no border control at all except crossing from Switzerland into Italy. Even then, the border guards and their German Shepherd walked right past me. I had 4 grams of hash in my shoe, and the dog's nose was six inches from it. Must have been a bomb dog. Or really bad at his job.

Again, that was 12 years ago. And I went from Belgium into Amsterdam, not the other way around.

The Swiss border control mostly care about illegal immigration, especially if you look Muslim. Seen people dragged off trains in the middle of the night.

Other than that, it's all open borders.

a female friend who worked in a coffeeshop and dressed as such with the dreadlocks to match got stopped at the border and got given a full cavity search - rubber gloves and all