Facebook WTF?

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
My god the latest edition of Facebook is a gigantic clusterfuck.

Comments

• Still trying to get used to it, but I have to say I agree with this pic that's been making the rounds:

• delete "that mildy" and replace with "which mildly"

but essentially, yeah. bitches need to quit bitching about FB and read a book or get a life or something.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

• This has been bugging me for a while and I guess this is the best place to ask it:

Instagram allows you to upload photos, which Facebook also allows you to do.

Twitter allows you to type short, sweet 140-character messages, which you can also do on Facebook. (I mean, you don't HAVE to type long sentences, right?)

Tumblr allows you to post photos and, if I'm not mistaken, short blog postings which you can essentially do via Facebook notes.

My question is...why use all those different means of social networking when you can essentially use just the one? This is a serious question. I don't use anything other than Facebook, but friends have suggested the others. When I ask them how those others would be better, I never get a satisfactory answer. On top of that, I'm always seeing people using those other services and a lot of the times those postings feed right into Facebook anyways. I'm thinking I don't know those other services well enough, and I'm thinking my friends aren't using their full capabilities or else they'd be able to break it down better.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Get more promotion for gigs you might do to people who might miss the one. That's about it.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    sakedelic said:
    delete "that mildy" and replace with "which mildly"

but essentially, yeah. bitches need to quit bitching about FB and read a book or get a life or something.

word to getting off FB. people need to let it go.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Hey Herm,

Herm said:
    My question is...why use all those different means of social networking when you can essentially use just the one?

Facebook, Email, IM, Skype, Google +, Twitter.. all do essentially the same thing.

Let's you easily communicate quickly with people instead of walking up to them or using a telephone.

They all have there advantages and disadvantages, depending on what you need to use it for, and what works for you. For example: Say you have a smart phone you got a twitter app. You have a lot of friends on Twitter. Then you use that.

Now Tumblr, Wordpress, Blogger and Blogs in general are essentially simplified websites. I don't know if you remember how horrific the Internet was during the "geocities" era. All of this is simplification of the web is leveling the playing field and simplifying communicating your ideas and personality without having to know a programming language.

- spidey

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    RAJ said:
    My god the latest edition of Facebook is a gigantic clusterfuck.

The pages just keep getting busier. My initial attraction to FB when it first became available was that it looked so "clean" in terms of the layout compared to the then-popular MySpace. Not so much anymore.

• SPlDEY said:
    Hey Herm,

Herm said:
    My question is...why use all those different means of social networking when you can essentially use just the one?

Facebook, Email, IM, Skype, Google +, Twitter.. all do essentially the same thing.

Let's you easily communicate quickly with people instead of walking up to them or using a telephone.

They all have there advantages and disadvantages, depending on what you need to use it for, and what works for you. For example: Say you have a smart phone you got a twitter app. You have a lot of friends on Twitter. Then you use that.

Now Tumblr, Wordpress, Blogger and Blogs in general are essentially simplified websites. I don't know if you remember how horrific the Internet was during the "geocities" era. All of this is simplification of the web is leveling the playing field and simplifying communicating your ideas and personality without having to know a programming language.

- spidey

Ah okay. I didn't even think about the fact that email, phone, texting, etc. are just other means of these things.

How do people keep track of what friends are on what?? I don't even have that many and I still get confused when someone I forgot about responds to one of my updates.

Herm said:

1) Preference. You may prefer an interface that better facilitates blogging, like Blogger/Blogspot or Wordpress, over one like Tumblr, which is great for photo blogging. Both offer the option to write and/or post photos, but one is a better medium than the other for each respective type of communication. My cousin is constantly blowing Tumblr up with every mildly interesting photo he can find. If he did this on FB (any more than he already does), I might have to block him like the rest of the fam already has.

2) Accessibility. You can easily gain a large following on Twitter with enough witty tweets and some time. You can make yourself accessible to your entire graduating class from high school this way. But maybe you want your personal blog to be accessible only to select family and friends.

3) Increasing your web presence. Say you have a small business or brand name, for instance, you sell air-brushed t-shirts on Etsy or you make a site like Soul Strut. If you want to get your name out there, a cheap and easy (but time consuming) way to do so is via multiple social networking options. Actively updating your FB, Twitter feed, blog and YouTube channel can help raise your Google ranking when it comes to searches for content you carry. Of course, you can't just randomly blog, you have to choose keyword phrases and whatnot and apply them to all the networking mediums in a strategic way. Google Analytics can help determine which phrases are working best for you.

4) Search engine optimization. Pretty much the above, but with an emphasis on being "found" when a user searches common keyword phrases, such as "air brush shirt" or "airbrushed clothing."

5) Because everyone else is doing it. Even if I decide I like Twitter better than Blogger, or Blogger better than Google +, I'm probably not going to delete my Facebook profile now that I've built a network of friends. Thus, I end up with multiple user accounts all over the web.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    I am just glad that it is finally bad enough to break my habbit!

the_dL said:
    I am just glad that it is finally bad enough to break my habbit!

I've naturally grown tired of it. Party pics don't amuse me anymore.

However, I find that I usually replace one bad habit with another. Not spending time on FB means I'm wasting time on some other site. And now that my computer's sound doesn't really work, I've drastically cut down on YouTube videos, but am now constantly browsing Etsy, sniping on eBay and binging on info about SEO and tons of other things that have nothing to do with me.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    sakedelic said:

What is the rule here?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    sakedelic said:

Also, can we replace "obligated" with "obliged"? I dunno why but I can't hang with the former.

• Whether or not we pay, FB is getting paid to provide a service by the advertisers, and if we stop facebooking, they will stop paying. We have every right to complain! If FB isn't trying to please its customers and advertisers, then what is it doing?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i created a fake name account with no pics to look at sheep's record pics from a japanese buying spree when it first started
    then it slowly became a minor conduit for girls i had dated in the past and lost contact with.

my best friend from kingston has this saying-"never ever throw away an old raincoat bro..you might need it in the future"
    as always he was right and ??????. facebook ???...i thank thee
    you control it
    not the inverse
    if i was a gigging musician it would be a boon

other than that i cringe when i see folks posting mundane details of their boring lives.

"JUST CHANGED 2 PAIRS OF POO POO DIAPERS"

fucking facepalm maximus

• LaserWolf said:
    sakedelic said:

What is the rule here?

Firstly, "mildy" isn't a word.

Secondly, the preference of most editors is "use that before a restrictive clause and which before everything else" but my preference is not to use "that" in three different contexts in the same sentence. The change does nothing to alter the meaning, but is preferable to me for clarity's sake.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Whether or not we pay, FB is getting paid to provide a service by the advertisers, and if we stop facebooking, they will stop paying. We have every right to complain! If FB isn't trying to please its customers and advertisers, then what is it doing?

Thank you.

In actuality, this is the biggest outrage I have seen and it's bad timing too as Google+ just went public.

The "new" FB is information overload.... especially that annoying Twitter-like activity feed on the right.... which is blowing up with my "friends" comments on other people's profiles (who I'm not friends with). Seems like invasion of privacy to me.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Whether or not we pay, FB is getting paid to provide a service by the advertisers, and if we stop facebooking, they will stop paying. We have every right to complain! If FB isn't trying to please its customers and advertisers, then what is it doing?

^^This^^

The perpetual tinkering around with shit that's become a hallmark of the digital age generally is usually a ball-ache for the end user and is rarely, if ever, done as a response to widespread complaints about the way something performs. In fact, widespread complaints are usually treated with complete indifference; "Ignore 'em, they'll soon get used to it". This doesn't just apply to free services either - ask anyone who buys a new Windows box and finds themselves struggling with a buggy new OS loaded with "lots of cool new stuff" they don't want and will never use.

Mark Zuckerberg needs to ask George Lucas how his approach to a problem that never existed is being received by his target market.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    RAJ said:
    especially that annoying Twitter-like activity feed on the right.... which is blowing up with my "friends" comments on other people's profiles (who I'm not friends with). Seems like invasion of privacy to me.

This, too.

I wonder how many people realise that it's now possible to see and comment on friends-of-friends posts (i.e., people who, in most cases, you don't know). I'm not super-cagey about online privacy or anything, but I know a lot of people are particular about that shit.

• DocMcCoy said:
    RAJ said:
    especially that annoying Twitter-like activity feed on the right.... which is blowing up with my "friends" comments on other people's profiles (who I'm not friends with). Seems like invasion of privacy to me.

This, too.

I wonder how many people realise that it's now possible to see and comment on friends-of-friends posts (i.e., people who, in most cases, you don't know). I'm not super-cagey about online privacy or anything, but I know a lot of people are particular about that shit.

Well, hopefully those are only "public" posts.

• i've had close to a dozen people i dont know comment on my shit in the last 24 hours..... similarily, people are now 'subscribing' to my feed. whatever that means.....

boy, it's a good thing i never, and never plan to, post anything even remotely personal about myself anywhere on the internet.

EDIT: i managed to keep all personal stuff off the internet by installing an app called "not being stupid".

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I've only been on twice in the past week or so to post a Jackie Shane song, post about RossHogg's Black Moon post and to talk about making soup with collard greens. I am scared what I'll see when I finally go on this weekend.

Nevermind FB - I am trying to not turn the computer on at all at night when I get home....after working on a computer for almost 7 hours during the day (FB, tumblr and YouTube are all banned at my work).

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    One way to change something big is to get people really riled up about how you???ve changed something small. Repaint the boat, and let them to argue about that. By the time they???ve realized that green is no worse than blue, they won???t have the energy to wonder whether it was a smart idea for you to set sail for Australia
    Interesting take...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    sakedelic said:
    LaserWolf said:
    sakedelic said:

What is the rule here?

Firstly, "mildy" isn't a word.

Secondly, the preference of most editors is "use that before a restrictive clause and which before everything else" but my preference is not to use "that" in three different contexts in the same sentence. The change does nothing to alter the meaning, but is preferable to me for clarity's sake.

Thanks. I didn't even see mildy.
    I like your reasoning.
    As for the rule, I have no idea what a restrictive clause is.

• Every FB update = weaksauce.

Newsfeed was cool. Making "Top Stories" out of Newsfeed like it's actually news = ridiculus.

I know some people like the sidebar chat thing. Not me. Every time I log on I feel like I walked into a room fulll of people.

If you really don't like the new layout, try this (It worked for me):

HOW TO GET YOUR FEED BACK TO NORMAL AGAIN. if you want your feed to go back to normal go to your account and go to notifications. At the top right is a box that says email frequency. Uncheck that box and your feed will show all the posts again. Then go to your home page and anything in the "Top Stories" click on the down arrow in the upper right and "unmark as top story" - now your newsfeed will be setup by timestamp rather than randomly picking "top stories!" PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG

peace,
    O

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Think FB has changed? Anyone been reading about today's announcements?

Get ready...

• I don't understand the people who throw hissy fits and announce their move to Google +. Do they REALLY think it's going to say the same forever??