Aiight, Chill...

StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
The Gangstarr joint got me wondering - How popular was this saying?
Was this a NY thing exclusively? Ive never met anybody using this phrase to end off a conversation... But Im also Canadian.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Chill is timeless

IIRC Chill Out was the OG

Then Take A Chill Pill followed......and then simply Chill.

Im Chillin'

• We got "chill" up here, of course. Im talking about "Chill" as in "Peace" or "Bye".

StoneHands said:
    We got "chill" up here, of course. Im talking about "Chill" as in "Peace" or "Bye".

it can be used loosely like later as well....chill

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    chill is dope

• chill was a popular word and it still is

• batmon said:
    StoneHands said:
    We got "chill" up here, of course. Im talking about "Chill" as in "Peace" or "Bye".

I would think the closest interpretation for the later/peace version would be that it's based off of or just like "alright, be cool."

Controller_7 said:
    batmon said:
    StoneHands said:

I would think the closest interpretation for the later/peace version would be that it's based off of or just like "alright, be cool."

exactly

or one could say .....lets go chill at the bar

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    chill was a popular word and it still is

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Cold Lamping needs a come-back

Whats up man?
    Lamping...

Im going,
    Ok bye-
    Lamp!

Lamp the fuck out

lampin like whoa

lamping like theres no tomorrow..

• I fucks with Chill
    I have been known to use Chillax BITD.

• staxwax said:
    Cold Lamping needs a come-back

Whats up man?
    Lamping...

Im going,
    Ok bye-
    Lamp!

Lamp the fuck out

lampin like whoa

lamping like theres no tomorrow..

i use 'cold lampin' all the time..... as well as it's variations....

lampin' in the hampty hamps....
    cold lamps like ikea after hours....

i also still like to use "nathan" in place of nothing. [no ayo]

• also, when i was growing up i had a friend named marc. everyone in his family used to say "peace"..... when they picked UP the phone, in place of hello. it used to trip me right the fuck out. the first couple times i called around, they would pick up and say "peace" and i'd be all "uhhh.... yeah.... PEACE" and panic and hang up the phone. the phone calls became less frequent, and the stand out front of the house and holler became more prevalent.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    "maxxin"

i still say aight chill when i hang up the phone... not sure if this is gangstarr induced or something i've always said.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    also, when i was growing up i had a friend named marc. everyone in his family used to say "peace"..... when they picked UP the phone, in place of hello. it used to trip me right the fuck out. the first couple times i called around, they would pick up and say "peace" and i'd be all "uhhh.... yeah.... PEACE" and panic and hang up the phone. the phone calls became less frequent, and the stand out front of the house and holler became more prevalent.
    When I got my first landline in a shared house, I would occasional answer the phone with "Yeah, yer, I'm licking ya balls."

Aiight Chill never was big anyways. I didnt catch on at all.

Same goes with Lampin.
    Cats didnt say that shit before and It never jumped off after Nations unless you were peripheral.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Same goes with Lampin.
    Cats didnt say that shit before and It never jumped off after Nations unless you were lampin'

fixt

Super-calafraga-hestik-alagoothki

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I know that dudes here in B-More still say "Aiight, Chill" and have been for years, even before the Gang Starr joint it was pretty common. It never really stuck out to me as something picked up from a specific place or song.

• TheKindCromang said:

i just can't help looking at this differently post breaking bad.
    shit totally looks like it was shot at the pollos lab and they're moving bags of crystal..