Busted headphone jack fix?

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
The headphone jack on my mixer is only outputting sound to one channel. If I fiddle with the jack a bit I can hear sound on both sides intermittently and if I put the plug in only half way it seems to work fine. But if I plug it all the way just the left channel works. Wondering if anyone on here has had a similar experience. Seems like it should be an easy fix but not really sure the best way to address the problem.

Appreciate any help.

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Sounds like a loose connection inside the jack. When you plug it partially in, one contact might be crossing across both left and right channels for the phono plug so it's in both ears but it's actually mono. You might be able to stick a sharp probe (like a tooth-pick) inside the jack and bend out the spring loaded contact that makes a connection to the phono plug. Or maybe it's just a dirty contact, you might just want to swab out the inside with a Q-tip dipped in ethanol or contact cleaner.

If it's not the jack connection, it might be one of the wire connections to the jack. If you can run the mixer with the top off, try jiggling the wired connected to the jack while you listen to see if the signal cuts in and out. Then if might be a matter of soldering in a new jack.