good reading material about analog sound design / mixing?

BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
know this isn't the most obvious place to ask but a lot of my usual sources are coming up dry and the strut knows about lots of stuff.

interested in reading books / articles / sites about

-analog sound synthesis / sound design / modular synthesis / music concrete. that don't involve maths if possible (lots of them go straight in with the trigonometry). vintage or new.

-good books about mixing techniques that don't just go "here's a fader" or "this thing is called a compressor" - stuff that talks about grouping, bussing, experimental techniques. layering of frequencies. you know, the good shit. so many of these mixing books just tell you the same shit you've read over and over.

any one got any faves?

Comments

• i mean the closest thing i've found would be Stavrou's "mixing with your mind" which is exactly what i'm talking about - inspiring and rule-breaking, maybe the only genuinely good thing i've read on this topic. but he's coming at it from a band-recording angle rather than an electronic music / hip hop / synthesis edge.

• Here's a really good place to start, if you haven't already.

http://www.tapeop.com/

It's a free monthly magazine that's all about the world of analog recording, with a little digital thrown in too.
    Tons of interviews with engineers, mixers, mastering people, musicians, the works.

Gear reviews are a little ridiculous, but a ton of small gear manufacturers advertise in it as well, so it's a good place to get your obscure analog equipment game level up. Enjoy!

• As far as mixing goes, this is pretty much the undisputed bible.

I read this in high school and then read it again in my 20's and then again recently. Sooo good. Memorize this book and you will "get it". Covers everything from acoustics to console design.

"Mixing Secrets for the small studio" by Mike Senior on Focal Press. He covers a lot of things that one would pick up intuitively working alongside a good producer or engineer, and it is explained well. Kind of mandatory reading for people heading into studios.

For music stuff, I found:

and

to be great saturday afternoon reading/project stuff.

Tape Op is great but only as an addendum to an actual understanding of theory and process, which these books will help teach. FWIW, I'm self taught in electronics and engineering, no full sail - these books were invaluable.

• 4YearGraduate said:
    As far as mixing goes, this is pretty much the undisputed bible.

I read this in high school and then read it again in my 20's and then again recently. Sooo good. Memorize this book and you will "get it". Covers everything from acoustics to console design.

"Mixing Secrets for the small studio" by Mike Senior on Focal Press. He covers a lot of things that one would pick up intuitively working alongside a good producer or engineer, and it is explained well. Kind of mandatory reading for people heading into studios.

For music stuff, I found:

and

to be great saturday afternoon reading/project stuff.

Tape Op is great but only as an addendum to an actual understanding of theory and process, which these books will help teach. FWIW, I'm self taught in electronics and engineering, no full sail - these books were invaluable.

Great recommendations!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:

I love Tape Op very good analog community.

Here's something interesting:

Why do my recordings sound like ass?
    http://stash.reaper.fm/3107/wdyrsla_061709.pdf

- spidey

• SPlDEY said:
    4YearGraduate said:

I love Tape Op very good analog community.

Here's something interesting:

Why do my recordings sound like ass?
    http://stash.reaper.fm/3107/wdyrsla_061709.pdf

- spidey

Thanks for that article, really useful