Welfare Drug Testing (NRR)

124»

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    batmon said:
    Do u feel like a criminal when u go thru an airport check?

Not like a criminal but I unexpectedly felt quite violated the other week after going through one of those new body scanners when this security dude juggled my nutsack like a pair of Chinese medicine balls... first time I got this special treatment, I guess the novelty will eventually wear off.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Let's talk some real talk.

In a time when Companies/Corporations are cutting every economic corner they are not spending money drug testing potential employees just for the hell of it or for any nefarious reasons.

They are doing it because their lawyers are telling them the expense justifies the potential liabilities.

Everyone applying for that job not only knows they will be tested, they know when the test will take place.

If you smoke weed, have a weeks notice and test positive on a drug screen you are either an idiot or you can't go a few days without getting stoned(or you just don't want the job).

Personally I wouldn't hire you, not because you smoke weed, but because of one of the three above reasons.

If you use other drugs besides weed there is no question you will be viewed as a liability...by ANYONE.

• Rockadelic said:
    Let's talk some real talk.

In a time when Companies/Corporations are cutting every economic corner they are not spending money drug testing potential employees just for the hell of it or for any nefarious reasons.

They are doing it because their lawyers are telling them the expense justifies the potential liabilities.

It's well proven that drug testing in large companies saves money - a lot of it.

Google "drug testing insurance premiums" or some variation thereof and see what you find.

I don't see how a publicly traded company can get around it at this point.

The idea that companies do it "because they can" is naive at best.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:

If the test isn't being used on a regular basis I'm still skeptical about the safety rationale. And it makes the argument about limiting liability weak, also.

The random drug testing is used, just not very often.

At my place If you work in a position where safety and liability is a big issue you have been tested every 24-36 months.

If a manager has reason to suspect you are drinking or using on the job they can send you out to be tested that day.

Based on conversations with my HR folks I'd say that about 33% of all applicants don't pass either the background or drug test phase.

It's more of a preventive measure than a curative one.

• I work for one of , if not the biggest corporations in the world in the field I work in...their employee numbers are in the 6-digits, pretty big. I have no illusions about my employer, I know they don't care about me, I know the moment my position/department somehow effects the bottom line in a negative way, Im gone...regardless of how well I do my job. I also know the corporation I work for does a lot of shady, illegal shit as far as laws pertaining to the regulation and oversight of my field. My job requires drug testing. I have only been tested once in my 3 years there and I cheated on it in order to pass. I do not feel bad about cheating this company, at all. I would go get another job but that is a difficult thing to do right now obviously and my supervisors like me and they think I do a great job...for them, the human beings I personally know and have to work with everyday, I will work and do the best job I can do, but as far as the corporation as a whole, I could care less about lying to some monkey in a suit at corporate. Ive been told I should whistleblow the shady shit I know, but that would mean our facility being shut down, which would mean 100s of people would lose their job, so I don't. So I just work, take their money and refuse to let them dictate how I live my life...so if another drug test comes my way, I will cheat like a motherfucker again to pass it. As soon as a better job comes along, I will take it, but right now the pay is fine and the time off is ample, so I stay. But fuck 'em. I don't owe them anything. I give my time, they give me money...I refuse to feel "privileged" that they let me work for them, I refuse to be "thankful" or feel "lucky" they give me a check every 2 weeks...why should I?

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I haven't taken a drug test in 10 years but I remember them being quite easy to pass

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Brian said:
    if performance art = advocating personal responsibility then yes, i am a fucking artist supreme

Making statements that "living paycheck to paycheck = living outside one's means" is not advocating personal responsibility, IMO. We can disagree on agreeing, it's cool.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    I haven't taken a drug test in 10 years but I remember them being quite easy to pass