Syl Johnson - Live Footage / Photos / Interview.... very entertaining, funny, and DOPE!

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
Had two shows with the legendary Syl Johnson here in Brisbane with the Bamboos, had a chance to meet the man, and I mean if you think Biz has stories, Syl GOT STORIES... check the photo gallery to see what he wrote on some of my records... comedy. Enjoy the videos, at 75, Syl's still got it!

Photo Gallery - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.216146371774867.53928.168656496523855
Interview - http://weirdgear.wordpress.com/2011/08/27/syl-johnson-interview/
Youtube Playlist (with all videos below) -

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    WTF?

A Syl Johnson interview, great live footage, photos including "This is a fuck album" and no replies - on the strut?

The fuck is going on around here?

Good shit B.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    WTF?

A Syl Johnson interview, great live footage, photos including "This is a fuck album" and no replies - on the strut?

The fuck is going on around here?

Good shit B.

I laughed hard when I first read it. I think he was referring to the cover picture with the blackheads on his face. I remember someone posting an interview on here about the release of the Numero box set and he mentioned it then.

• Thanks Sheep! He seems like a real trip lol.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    The TOTAL EXPLOSION goes like this;

Syl: Fuck This Album!
    Me: Why?
    Syl: What mutherfuckin' colour do you see there the most?
    Me: Green
    Syl: Fuck Al Green
    Me: Word?
    Syl: Yeah, this was a conspiricy by him, a girl with little titties and shorter hair made that shit and Al Green bought her flowers, you see what the fuck is going on here... The white man is blowing me up, who the fuck going to blow me up. Al mutherfuckin' Green....

shit was mad funny, but he does have a point, if you look closely, who knows what went on in those days. He was a real awesome guy. He also said when he got the copy of the art on cassette he threw it out the window...

Yeah a bit disappointed in the Strut overall, been doing mad work interview wise, and otherwise, yet it seems like made :chirp: up here on the real music tip. I love you guys, especially my friends I've met and dealt records to, but this place isn't what it used to be. One love tho guys.

B

For the record Syl suffered from a heart attack and is in hospital recovering at the moment. He is ok though and going to complete his last show on the tour. Wasn't allowed to speak on this till now. Here's to a speedy recovery to a living legend. B

PRESS RELEASE - 8 September 2011

SYL JOHNSON & THE BAMBOOS MELBOURNE CONCERT POSTPONED

On Monday night (5 September 2011) Chicago soul and funk legend Syl Johnson performed at The Spiegeltent as part of the Brisbane Festival. It was the third sold-out show of an historic four-concert Australian tour backed by The Bamboos due to conclude in Melbourne at the Hi-Fi on Saturday 10 September.

At approximately 8:30PM immediately after coming off stage Mr Johnson complained of feeling unwell. On his request, an ambulance was immediately called which arrived within two minutes. While being attended to by Queensland Ambulance officers backstage, Mr Johnson suffered a heart attack. The lead ambulance officer and two ambulance medics successfully steered Mr Johnson through the heart attack event.

Mr Johnson was then transported to the Royal Brisbane Hospital (10 minutes from the venue) where he was placed into immediate care. Royal Brisbane Hospital doctors carried out an operation to clear one of Mr Johnson??????s arteries which was achieved without the use of a stent.
    Mr Johnson has made a remarkable recovery and is in full command of all his mental and physical capacities. Within 24 hours of the event he was insisting that he continue with the Melbourne performance which had been scheduled for this Saturday 10 September. However, on the insistence of his medical team, Mr Johnson has agreed to postpose his performance to the following Saturday (17 September) at the same venue (Hi-Fi Melbourne) with the same line up.

Mr Johnson wants to express his gratitude to the Brisbane Festival team for their help, concern and professionalism as well as the Queensland Ambulance Service and the nurses and doctors at the Royal Brisbane Hospital for their fantastic care, attention and patience.
    Mr Johnson says that he sincerely hopes that his Melbourne fans who have already purchased tickets will not be inconvenienced and that they will be able attend the Hi-Fi on 17 September for what is sure to be a very emotional concert.

The tour promoters (Harlem Dukes and Straightup) have said that persons who bought tickets for the now-postponed 10 September concert should retain them for use on 17 September. However, if any ticket-holders cannot attend the 17 September concert, refunds will be available until Monday 14th September 5.00pm by emailing info@thehifi.com.au.

Lloyd Dewar on behalf of Harlem Dukes

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    whoa, here's to a speedy recovery!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Damn, scary news, hope Syl can bounce back strong.

I really enjoyed the interview etc.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Damn, that's one tough motherfucker. Wanting to get back onstage right after a heart attack. I hope he gets well.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I just got off the phone with Syl; interviewing him for the podcast and for an LA Times story I'm working on, ahead of his show here with Breakestra in a few weeks.

He just told me the story (well, at least this version of it) behind "Different Strokes."

Let's just say it involves a woman named Odessa, a two-minute moment, and this punchline: "I didn't have Viagara back then!"

:face_melt:

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• Thanks! This is hilarious. Syl is a funny dude!

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Awesome - thx for posting

• What a kick interviewing a dude like Syl! Man, is he still sharp.

"How'd you come up with that groove to Is It Because I'm Black?"
    " Cuz I'm Good"

Indeed.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Saw him in Durham a couple months ago, great show (although he seemed a little stiff & uncomfortable during the early songs he played first, and overly comfortable to the point that the band was strained later on)