Central Texas on Fire

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central

Comments

• Damn! My niece called me about a month ago and said that she drove past a thousand-acre wildfire in Elgin. This one sounds far worse: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/09/05/national/a092739D77.DTL

17.5k acres? Jesus.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

Austin skyline with Bastrop burning in the background.

25,000 acres and close to 500 homes lost so far in Bastrop. Fortunately, the wind has died down some today.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    So far 2.3 million acres have burned in in Texas this year.

To put it into perspective that's the entirety of Delaware, Rhode Island and part of Connecticut.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Do you Texans think that the Fire Department could use those 30% in budget cuts that Perry enacted?

Bon Vivant said:
    Do you Texans think that the Fire Department could use those 30% in budget cuts that Perry enacted?

This isn't a political thread.

• Hope all you dudes near there are ok.

HarveyCanal said:
    Bon Vivant said:

This isn't a political thread.

Haha! It's not a political question.

• HarveyCanal said:

That's scary.

Harvey.....I heard something that seems hard to believe and was wondering if they are saying the same down your way.

A reporter here in Dallas claimed that one of the biggest causes of wildfires in Texas are discarded glass bottles that magnify the sun and set dry grass on fire....can anyone confirm or deny this?

Haven't heard that. Did just hear though that the water tower in Bastrop exploded.

HarveyCanal said:
    Haven't heard that. Did just hear though that the water tower in Bastrop exploded.

Crazy!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sounded suspect to me.
    I googled.
    First hit was hoaxslayer.
    http://www.hoax-slayer.com/car-fire-water-bottle.shtml (plastic not glass bottle.)

Jokes on us.

Not that this means any TX fires were started this way, but apparently possible.
    I googled wildfires started by glass bottles.
    Lots of sites claim this is a common cause, but I couldn't find a single specific incident.

Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Crazy!

Still just a rumor at this point, but the first 2 fatalities have just been reported.

• Controller_7 said:
    HarveyCanal said:

That's scary.

no shit, whats the span of that shot? 60-70 feet? and it went from one side of the frame to the other in less than a minute

• wow, this is scary.

• LaserWolf said:
    Sounded suspect to me.
    I googled.
    First hit was hoaxslayer.
    http://www.hoax-slayer.com/car-fire-water-bottle.shtml (plastic not glass bottle.)

Jokes on us.

Not that this means any TX fires were started this way, but apparently possible.
    I googled wildfires started by glass bottles.
    Lots of sites claim this is a common cause, but I couldn't find a single specific incident.

In the last couple of years, two house fires on Cape Cod were officially attributed to crystals hanging in the window.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Looks awful.

Hope all strutters and their families and friends are ok.

No, it's that there are 2 dorks on this board who turn every-damned-thing into a political filibuster.

HarveyCanal said:
    No, it's that there are 2 dorks on this board who turn every-damned-thing into a political filibuster.

I don't think you and Brian are dorks, man. Chin-up.

I respect that you think this question is "too soon" or the issue is "too sensitive" to discuss right now. You be sure to let me know when it's a "good time" to ask if the Texas fire department could have used more money to fight these wildfires.

Thanks.

Ain't too soon or too sensitive. It's just a non-issue. Nature couldn't be contained in this case. Plus, it's not like you give a shit except for being able to jump at the chance to criticize already-confirmed douchebag Rick Perry.

• Bon Vivant said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I respect that you think this question is "too soon" or the issue is "too sensitive" to discuss right now. You be sure to let me know when it's a "good time" to ask if the Texas fire department could have used more money to fight these wildfires.

Thanks.

Says the dude who describes himself as "always respectful".

Sadly, you are well on your way to being the new MLJ, or Frankie Meltzer or whatever - like we needed another.

Damn, Bastrop went up in flames again today...

Horseleech said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Thanks.

Says the dude who describes himself as "always respectful".

Sadly, you are well on your way to being the new MLJ, or Frankie Meltzer or whatever - like we needed another.

This thread?

Look, if you have a problem with my PG response to being called a dork, then that's on you buddy.

I mean, really? Haha! :weaksauce: